Dr O'Grady is a Principal Lecturer: Partnership Manager, with responsibility for supporting the development of internal and external partnerships for students undertaking undergraduate academic studies of education programmes. Dr O'Grady's teaching responsibilities include sociological debates in education, and researching education. She is also involved in supporting the postgraduate doctoral programme.
Dr O'Grady previously worked at the University of Derby, where she was the Full Time MA Programme Leader. She developed the Lifelong Learning Research Cluster at the University and engaged in a wide range of research projects. Dr O'Grady taught research methods for education across undergraduate and postgraduate programmes and supervised a range of dissertations.
Prior to joining the University of Derby, Dr O'Grady worked at the National Institute of Adult Continuing Education where she undertook a wide range of research, working with stakeholders, across a broad agenda of lifelong learning.
Dr O'Grady's research focusses on adult learners who experience marginalisation from educational opportunities, within a framework of social justice, exploring social inclusion and exclusion dichotomies.
She has worked on projects covering:
- lifelong learning
- adults literacy and numeracy
- offender education
- marginalised groups and communities.
Opportunities to carry out postgraduate research towards an MPhil/PhD in the School of Education exist and further information may be obtained from the NTU Graduate School.
External Examiner: London Metropolitan University.
- Lifelong Learning in the UK: An Introductory Guide for Education Studies. O'Grady A, 2013, London: Routledge
- Smoke alarms and smoke screens: the learning journey of an undergraduate. O'Grady A, Educational Futures, 2012, 5 (1), 29-42
- Skills for life and issues of choice: a study in rural England. O'Grady A and Atkin C, RaPAL Research and Practice in Adult Literacy Journal, 2009, 68/69, 40-47
- Evaluation of the Skills for Life Materials for Embedded Learning. Atkin C, O'Grady A and Rose A, National Research and Development Centre for Adult Literacy and Numeracy, 2007, London
- Adult learning in Lincolnshire and Rutland: voices from practice. Atkin C and O'Grady A (eds.), The University of Nottingham: UNESCO Centre for Comparative Education Research, 2007, Nottingham
- Choosing to learn or chosen to learn: the experience of skills for life learners. O'Grady A and Atkin C, Research in Post-Compulsory Education, 2006, 11 (3), 277 -287
- Skills for life: has the need to support social cohesion been displaced by the drive for economic Success? Atkin C and O'Grady A, International Journal of Adult and Lifelong Education, 2006, 4 (1-4), 29-44
- Devaluing social networks in the race to compete. Atkin C and O'Grady A, The International Journal of Learning, 2006, 13, (6), 165-171
Dr O'Grady can comment on prison education and disadvantaged groups.