Alfonso is the International Manager for Nottingham Law School. He coordinates and monitors international activities (including international visits, collaborations, course development) and recruitment and the evaluated impact on the student experience.
As a Principle Lecturer, Alfonso teaches the European Union Law module on the undergraduate courses. At postgraduate level he teaches Sports Law, International Dispute Resolution and International Commercial Transactions modules.
Before joining NTU, Alfonso was a practising lawyer. He began his career as Abogado in Spain and subsequently qualified as a Solicitor in England while teaching sports law part-time in different universities in the UK.
Alfonso joined NTU as a Senior Lecturer and subsequently became a Principal Lecturer.
He completed his PGC in Sports Law at King's College London, an LLM in Comparative and International Dispute Resolution at Queen Mary University of London, and a PGCHE at NTU.
Alfonso's research interests include:
- European dispute resolution, in particular the international private law aspects
- arbitration, specially the legal framework provided to resolve disputes through arbitration
- sports law focused on disciplinary, sanctioning and challenges to panel decisions.
Alfonso is co-founder and is now on the Editorial Board of LawinSport.com, leading website for the discussion of legal issues in sport. As part of his role he peer reviews submitted articles and networks with sports practitioners ad sports stakeholders.
Alfonso is also a member of the Society of Legal Scholars, which allows him to keep abreast of legal developments in his area of study and in the legal education sector.
- April 2014: International Sports Law Journal: In search of a working notion of lex sportiva
- 16/05/14: NTU Expert opinion: Will Greg Dyke's football league restructure fall foul of the law?
- 22/05/14: NTU Expert opinion: From Belgium again, a threat to the football compensation system
- 29/05/14: NTU Expert opinion: is a recent judgement on holiday pay and commission really a 'landmark' ruling?
- 03/05/14: NTU Expert opinion: Google to action the right to be forgotten
- 06/05/14: The Conversation: Tough times ahead for the right to be forgotten
Alfonso is able to talk about Sports Law, EU Law and International Dispute Resolution (eg arbitration, European cross-border commercial disputes).