Dr Langensiepen is a Senior Lecturer and the IT Coordinator for the School of Science and Technology.
After a 1st class Honours degree in Physics from Manchester University in 1978, Dr Langensiepen stayed on to study a PhD in theoretical particle physics. After completing this in 1981, she went into industry, and after a short period as a nuclear power physicist, became a software designer in Ferranti. She remained there for nine years, eventually becoming the software manager for the Trident submarine simulation programme. She was then a contract engineer for five years, undertaking contracts as diverse as implementing device drivers for satellite TV decoders to acting as design authority on major military and civil real time projects. Dr Langensiepen joined Nottingham Trent University in 1996 and continued her interests in real-time systems and software design in general, which have influenced her teaching and research.
Dr Langensiepen is a member of the Computational Intelligence and Applications Research Group (CIA)
Her research interests include:
- Real Time systems – in particular as applied to control and monitoring situations
- Graphics systems – including shader model implementations and texture representations
Opportunities to carry out postgraduate research towards an MPhil / PhD in the School of Science and Technology exist and further information may be obtained from the NTU Graduate School.
- Smart homes for elderly dementia sufferers: identification and prediction of abnormal behaviour. Lotfi A, Langensiepen CS, Mahmoud SM, Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Environments, 2012, 3 (3), 205-218
- Use of gesture recognition to control household devices for older people. Langensiepen CS, Lotfi A, Higgins S, Journal of Assistive Technologies, 2010, 4, 484-481
- Localising agents in multiple- occupant intelligent environments. Akhlaghinia MJ, Lotfi A and Langensiepen C, in Proceeding of the IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence (WCCI-2010), Barcelona-Spain, 2010, 99-103
- Echo state network for occupancy prediction and pattern mining in intelligent environment. Mahmoud SM, Lotfi A, Sherkat N, Langensiepen C and Osman T, in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Intelligent Environments, Barcelona, 20-21 July, 2009, 474-481
- Occupancy monitoring in intelligent environment through integrated wireless localizing agents. Akhlaghinia MJ, Lotfi A, Langensiepen C and Sherkat N, in Proceeding of the 2009 IEEE Symposium on Intelligent Agents, Nashville-USA, 30 March-2 April 2009, 7
- Occupant behaviour prediction in ambient intelligence computing environment. Journal of Uncertain Systems, 2008, 2 (2) 85-100