Dr Tong is a Research Assistant in the John van Geest Cancer Research Centre.
- Computer Science Lecturer: Tunku Abdul Rahman (TAR) College, Malaysia
- Computer Science Lecturer: HELP University College, Malaysia
Dr Tong's current research interests have focused on the development and application of machine learning approaches to medical diagnostics and statistics including:
- cancer systems biology and bioinformatics
- identification of prognostic, diagnostic and predictive biomarkers for disease and therapy
- developing bioinformatics algorithms for preprocessing mass spectrometry data
- molecular diagnostic modelling of cancer disease characteristics from mass spectrometry data of serum
- characterising relationships between cellular immune and clinical phenotypes in prostate cancer from multi-dimensional flow cytometry data of peripheral blood
- modelling immune response in leukaemia cancer
- septicaemia characterisation from microarray gene expression profiles.
Dr Tong is currently working on septicaemia II study, a Technology Strategy Board (TSB) based project. This project aims to identify an optimised panel of biomarkers (both genomic and proteomic) using ANNs (Artificial Neural Networks) that predict a range of clinical sepsis characteristics, including diagnosis from other commonly misclassified disease stages, prognosis and prediction of outcome and prediction of response to intervention.
Opportunities to carry out postgraduate research in the School of Science and Technology exist and further information may be obtained from the NTU Graduate School.
- Pattern recognition of multidimensional PBMC flow cytometry histograms for prostate cancer identification. Tong DL and Ball GR, Proceedings of International Work-Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering (IWBBIO), 2013
- MS-Labeller: Bioinformatics support for quality assessment on high resolution mass spectrometry sample. Tong DL, Coveney C and Ball G, Proceedings of the IEEE-EMBS International Conference on Biomedical and Health Informatics (BHI), 2012, 964-967
- A simple method of preprocessing MALDI-TOF MS data for differential biomarker analysis: Stem cell and melanoma cancer studies. Tong DL, Boocock DJ, Coveney C, Saif J, Gomez SG, Querol S, Rees R and Ball GR, Clinical Proteomics, 2011, 8 (1), 14
- Estrogen receptor status prediction for breast cancer using artificial neural network. Dhondalay GK, Tong DL and Ball G, in Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics (ICMLC), 2011, 2, 727-731
- Genetic algorithm neural network: Feature extraction for unpreprocessed microarray data. Tong DL and Schierz AC, Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, 2011, 53, 47-56
- Genetic algorithm neural network (GANN): A study of neural network activation functions and depth of genetic algorithm search applied to feature selection. Tong DL and Mintram R, International Journal of Machine Learning and Cybernetics, 2010, 1 (104), 75-87
- Extracting informatics genes from unprocessed microarray data. Tong DL, Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics (ICMLC), 2010, 1, 439-443
- Hybridising genetic algorithm-neural network (GANN) in marker genes detection. Tong DL, Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics (ICMLC), 2009, 2, 1082-1087
For full list click 'Go to Dong Tong's publications' link above.See all of Dong Tong's publications...