Dr Cosma is Senior Lecturer at the School of Science and Technology. She is Module Leader for the undergraduate Information Systems Development and the postgraduate Internet Programming modules.
Dr Cosma obtained her PhD in Computer Science from the University of Warwick in July 2008 (EPSRC funded). Whilst studying for her PhD, Dr Cosma was working as a part-time computer science lecturer at Coventry University, and also undertook part-time research work at the University of Warwick. After completing her PhD, Dr Cosma aimed to obtain overseas experience in academia and she relocated to Larnaca, Cyprus, where she was employed as a senior lecturer atP.A. University College(subjects taught in English). Dr Cosma relocated back to the UK in June 2013 in order to take a more focused research path into her academic career.
Dr Cosma is a member of the:
- Computational Intelligence and Applications Research Group (CIA)
- Interactive Systems Research Group (ISRG)
Dr Georgina Cosma has research interests in Data Science and Computational Intelligence applied to Natural Language Text Processing, and Biomedical Predictive Modelling. She is particularly interested in approaches which focus on machine learning and evolutionary optimisation methods to detect complex patterns in large data.
Dr Cosma is currently Director of Studies of PhD students on the topics of Biomedical Predictive Modelling. These projects are concerned with developing innovative computational intelligence methods for identifying disease predictors. She is second supervising PhD students on data mining projects. Dr Cosma is also co-supervising a PhD student with Dr Mike Joy at the Department of Computer Science, University of Warwick, on the topic of source-code similarity detection.
Dr Cosma has several research topics for potential PhD students aiming to focus on Data Science and in particular on the topics of dimensionality reduction, feature selection, feature extraction, data clustering, and classification.
Opportunities to carry out postgraduate research towards an MPhil / PhD exist and further information may be obtained from the NTU Graduate School
- Member of the EPSRC Review College
- Higher Education Academy Fellow
- Member of IEEE Computer Society and IEEE Computational Intelligence Society
- Member of BCS-IRSG: Information Retrieval Specialist Group
- Member of ACM-SIGIR: Special Interest Group in Information Retrieval
- Active member of MEDILINK East Midlands
She is an active reviewer of several journals including:
- IEEE Signal Processing Letters
- IEEE Transactions on Education
- Journal of Information Sciences
- Applied Soft Computing
- Entropy Open Access Journal
- Journal of Memetic Computing
- Technical Chair of the IEEE- ICKEA2017 2nd International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Applications.
- Publications Chair of the Interactive Technologies and Games (iTAG) conference.
Sponsors and collaborators
Recent grant capture includes:
- Principal Investigator on a prestigious 3 year project grant obtained from The Leverhulme Trust. The project is entitled Novel Approaches for Constructing Optimised Multimodal Data Spaces. Duration: October 2016- September 2019. Amount: £115,355.
- Principal Investigator on QR funded project in the topic of NHS and disease classification. Amount: £20,000
- Care IS Ltd
- Associate Fellow at the University of Warwick (July 2013-Present).
- Associate at the University of Nottingham (2016)