Dr Shuttleworth is involved with the following:
- PHYS34622 Project & Professional Skills
- FORE30004 Ballistics and Firearms
- PHYS22223 Optics & Semiconductors
- PHYS22234 Thermal & Environmental Physics
- Density functional theory (DFT) investigations of chemical processes at surfaces
Ian Shuttleworth started his career with a PhD in Surface Physics earned at the Cavendish Laboratories, Cambridge University. He held post-doctoral positions at both the University of Nottingham and then Rutgers University, before accepting a faculty position at Nottingham Trent University.
Ian Shuttleworth's research interests lie in the field of chemical processes that occur during heterogeneous catalysis – that is, when the phase of the catalyst is different to the phase of the reactants. Broadly, investigations within his group follow the themes of:
- Surface and interfacial science
- Nano-chemistry, and defect chemistry
Current project fields include:
- An accurate van der Waals description of the adsorbate-surface interaction
- Strain engineering, and its consequences for catalysis
- The efficient inversion of x-ray diffraction images
Opportunities to carry out postgraduate research towards an MPhil/PhD exist and further information may be obtained from the NTU Graduate School.
- Editor for the journal Applied Surface Science.
Sponsors and collaborators
Ian Shuttleworth's computational investigations are supported by the Engineering and Physical Science Research Council (EPSRC), and he is an active member of the UK's Materials Chemistry Consortium (https://www.ucl.ac.uk/klmc/mcc/).
SHUTTLEWORTH, I.G., 2019. Efficient methods of X-ray diffraction pattern inversion. Results in Physics 15 (2019) 102605 ISSN 2211-3797
SHUTTLEWORTH, I.G., 2018. Binding site transitions across strained oxygenated and hydroxylated Pt(111). ChemistryOpen, 7 (5), pp. 356-369. ISSN 2191-1363
SHUTTLEWORTH, I.G., 2017. Development of the ReaxFF reactive force-field description of gold oxides. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 121 (45), pp. 25255-25270. ISSN 1932-7447
SHUTTLEWORTH, I.G., 2017. Strain engineering of H/transition metal systems. Surface Science, 661, pp. 49-59. ISSN 0039-6028.
SHUTTLEWORTH, I.G., 2016. Controlled FCC/on-top binding of H/Pt(111) using surface stress. Applied Surface Science, 378, pp. 286-292. ISSN 0169-4332See all of Ian Shuttleworth's publications...