Dr Javier Fernandez Navarro is a Lecturer in Performance Analysis within the Department of Sport Science. He is Module Leader for Observational Analysis for Sport, as well as contributing to several other modules across the curriculum. He also teaches on the module Performance Analysis for the postgraduate MRes degree programmes.
Dr Fernandez Navarro joined the Sport Science Academic Team at Nottingham Trent University in January 2020. He holds a BSc degree in Sport Science (University of Granada, 2012), PGCE (University of Granada, 2014), MPhil in Sport Science (Liverpool John Moores University, 2016), and PhD in Sport Science (University of Granada, 2018).
His PhD was funded by the Spanish Ministry of Education and investigated the identification of styles of play in football and their effectiveness.
Before joining the Department of Sport Science at Nottingham Trent University, Dr Fernandez Navarro taught at undergraduate level in the Department of Physical Education and Sport at the University of Granada.
Dr Fernandez Navarro's research focuses on Performance Analysis and Analytics in team sports. In particular, his work analysed tactical aspects in elite football. His research interests include:
- Styles of play in football
- The effect of contextual variables on attacking and defensive tactical aspects in football
- More broadly, data analytics approaches in team sports
Opportunities to carry out postgraduate research towards an MPhil/PhD exist and further information may be obtained from the NTU Doctoral School.
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport
- International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching
- Plos One
- Journal of Human Kinetics
- Physiology and Behavior
- International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health
- Journal of Sport and Health Research
- Human Movement
Sponsors and collaborators
Current and recent research is being / has been conducted with the collaboration of:
- Dr Allistair McRobert (Liverpool John Moores University, UK)
- Dr Paul Ford (University of Brighton, UK)
- Dr Robert Morris (University of Stirling, UK)
- Dr David Broadbent (Brunel University, UK)
- Dr Luis Fradua (University of Granada, Spain)
- Dr Asier Zubillaga (University of the Basque Country, Spain)
Fernandez-Navarro, J., Ruiz-Ruiz, C., Zubillaga, A., & Fradua, L. (2020). Tactical Variables Related to Gaining the Ball in Advanced Zones of the Soccer Pitch: Analysis of Differences Among Elite Teams and the Effect of Contextual Variables. Frontiers in Psychology, 10, 14.
Caro, O., Zubillaga, A., Fradua, L., & Fernandez-Navarro, J. (2019). Analysis of Playing Area Dimensions in Spanish Professional Soccer: Extrapolation to the Design of Small-Sided Games With Tactical Applications. Journal of strength and conditioning research, 10.1519/JSC.0000000000003226. Advance online publication.
Fernandez-Navarro, J., Fradua, L., Zubillaga, A., & McRobert, A. P. (2019). Evaluating the effectiveness of styles of play in elite soccer. International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching, 14(4), 514-527.
Fernandez-Navarro, J., Fradua, L., Zubillaga, A., & McRobert, A. P. (2018). Influence of contextual variables on styles of play in soccer. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 18(3), 423-436.
Fernandez-Navarro, J., Fradua, L., Zubillaga, A., Ford, P. R., & McRobert, A. P. (2016). Attacking and defensive styles of play in soccer: analysis of Spanish and English elite teams. Journal of Sports Sciences, 34(24), 2195-2204.See all of Javier Fernandez Navarro's publications...