Dr Shiva Sivasubramaniam is a Principal Lecturer in Pharmacology.
Dr Sivasubramaniam teaches on the following courses:
- BSc (H) Biomedical Science
- BSc (H) Biological Sciences
- BSc (H) Pharmacology
- MSc Biomedical Science
- MSc Pharmacology
- MRes Cancer Biology
and the following modules:
- BIOL33201 Clinical Pharmacology
- BIOL22161 Physiology
- BIOL22111 Pathophysiology and Pharmacology of Cells and Tissues
- BIOL40092 Pharmacology (MSc- Full time)
- BIOL40292 Pharmacology (MSc- Flexi)
- BIOL40010 Biology of Disease
Other responsibilities include:
- Group Leader for Pharmacology
- Admissions Tutor for all Bioscience courses
- International Development co-ordinator for Biosciences
Previous roles have included:
- Researcher in European Collection of Cell Culture at the Centre for Applied Microbiology and Research (CAMR)
- Lecturer/Senior lecturer in Pharmacology, Nottingham Trent University
Dr Sivasubramaniam's main research interest is to investigate the underlying concept of molecular events that are associated with trophoblast invasion (and its control) as a model of tumour invasiveness. His laboratory focuses on the role of invasion specific novel factors such as cancer-testis antigens (CT antigens) and onco-foetal proteins during placental invasion. Dr Sivasubramaniam is investigating the molecular events/factors that are involved during placentation in normal and pre-eclamptic pregnancies.
Dr Sivasubramaniam's pedagogic research interests are:
- Student centred teaching
- Peer-assisted learning
- Plagiarism deterrence.
Dr Sivasubramaniam has been involved in developing several post-graduate courses to suit the needs of international students without affecting the experience of home/EU students. He has also developed innovative teaching techniques to educate under- and post-graduate students in plagiarism deterrence.
- Invited reviewer for following scientific journals: Placenta; American Journal of Preventive Medicine; Heart and Circulation - American Journal of Physiology; and Journal of Perinatal Medicine.
- Collaborator/Contributor to the Plagiarism Advisory Service (JISC-PAS) to develop a web based student guide to plagiarism (2009 to date).
Sponsors and collaborators
Current and recent research is being conducted with the collaboration, funding and / or support of:
- Dr Susana Gomez of Anthony Nolan Cord Blood Programme/Cell Therapy Centre, UK
- Professor Robert Rees, John van Geest Cancer Research Centre, Nottingham Trent University, UK
- Professor Berthold Huppertz, Medical University of Graz, Austria
- Dr Krishnan Sundar, Kalaslingam University, South India
- Student centered teaching - can university teaching be enhanced by using student feedback as a positive influence for module delivery? A pilot study. Sivasubramaniam SD, Proceedings of the HEA STEM Learning and Teaching Conference, 2014 (in press)
- Peer-assisted learning (PAL) enhancement of oral communication in bio-molecular sciences amongst multi-lingual post-graduates: A pilot study between two British and Spanish universities. López AF, Thode C, Sivasubramaniam SD, Berrnico G, Blanco RD, Se celebrará en Madrid la segunda edición del Congreso Internacional sobre Innovación, Aprendizaje y Competitividad. CINAIC-6th to 8th November 2013, 192 - 197
- Sustainability in student engagement – assessing the impact of formative ‘feed-forward’ on reflective learning. Sivasubramaniam SD, Proceedings of the HEA STEM Learning and Teaching Conference, 2013, 7-15 DOI: 10.11120/stem.hea.2013.0001.
- Electronic plagiarism detection software as self-teaching tool for plagiarism avoidance in Bioscience undergraduates. Sivasubramaniam SD, Plagiarism across Europe and Beyond Conference, Brno, Czech Republic June 12 – 13 2013, 149 - 158
- Molecular pharmacology: from DNA to drug discovery. Dickenson J, Freeman F, Lloyd Mills C, Thode C, Sivasubramaniam S, 2012, Wiley Blackwell
- Reduced placental vascular reactivity to 5-hydroxytryptamine in pre-eclampsia and the status of 5HT2A receptors. Ugun-Klusek A, Tamang A, Loughna P, Billett E, Buckley G and Sivasubramaniam S, Vascular Pharmacology, 2011, 55 (5-6), 157-162
- Awareness on paper-presentation. Hafeez Basha R and Sivasubramaniam SD in (Eds) Bhasha H, How to become a researcher, CAFET-INNOVA Technical Society, Hydrabad, India, 2011, 2, 13-24
- Post-moderate exercise testing and clinical predictive value of ankle arm index measurements. Babbar R, Bussell CD, Buckley GA, Sivasubramaniam SD, Pathophysiology, 2006, 13 (1), 15-21
For full list click 'Go to Shiva Sivasubramaniam's publications' link above.See all of Shiva Sivasubramaniam's publications...
- Mechanisms involved in early growth of placenta
- Pre-eclamptic pregnancies
- Molecular factors involved during placentation in normal and pre-eclamptic pregnancies