Reader in Social Policy
Dr Chan is mainly responsible for conducting social policy research studies, supervising research students and providing social policy teaching for students in the School of Social Sciences. He is Module Leader for 'Social Policy in the Context of Social Work Practice', 'Introduction to Social Policy', and 'Crime and Social Policy in the UK'.
- January 2007–September 2007: Min Quan and The Monitoring Group, 45K, for project entitled 'Chinese Victims of Racial Harassment and Violence' (with Prof Gary Craig of Hull University, Prof Ian Law of Leeds University, and Dr Bankole Cole of Northumbria University)
- 2003-2004: The Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), 39K, for project entitled 'The Study of Help-Seeking Behaviour among UK Chinese Families' (with Prof Peter Somerville of Lincoln University and Dr Bankole Cole of Northumbria University)
Dr Chan is happy to supervise research topics on comparative welfare policies, social policy in Asian countries, social security, poverty, and the UK Chinese community.
Dr Chan's research interests include:
- Comparative social policies
- Social policy in China and Hong Kong
- Social security and poverty
- UK Chinese people
- Reviewer for academic journals and publishers such as Journal of Social Policy, Social Policy and Society, Journal of Population Ageing, Asia Pacific Journal of Social Work and Development, and Asian Journal of Public Policy
- International Reviewer for the Hong Kong Research Grants Council
- Research advisor to the UK Chinese Community Network and the Manchester Oriental Organisation Alliances
- Visiting scholar at Renmin University of China, Sun Yat-Sen University, and Hong Kong Baptist University