Christine Moffatt (CBE) is a Professor of International Clinical Nursing at Nottingham Trent University and Nottingham University Hospitals (NUH).
She is responsible for developing a strategy for skin integrity that will embrace research education, and clinical practice within an international framework of collaboration. She is responsible for undertaking clinical research programme in chronic wounds and lymphoedema.
Christine trained as a nurse at Charing Cross Hospital, London from 1975 to 1978. When she qualified, she worked in neurology as a ward sister and was then a community sister for 10 years, where she developed her passion for leg ulceration and chronic wounds.
She has been involved in wound healing research and practice for 30 years and Lymphoedema for 20 years. She has undertaken extensive research in this field using mixed research methods including running national and international clinical trials. She currently heads the International Lymphoedema Framework, an international charity, whose mission is to develop effective Lymphoedema care throughout the world.
Her areas of research include compression therapy; service development and evaluation; psychosocial impact of disease; chronic wounds and lymphoedema (in adults and children). She has presented and published internationally. She edited the EWMA position document series and the International Lymphoedema Framework Best Practice Document (2006) and is a member of international editorial boards, NICE boards on leg ulcer management and advisory panels.
She was awarded a CBE in the 2006 New Year’s Honours List and made a life fellow of the Royal College of Nursing that same year. She has received 6 life time achievement awards between 2006 and 2015 in recognition of her work. In December 2008 she received a Nursing Times Diamond 20 Award as one of the 20 most influential nurses in the last 60 years. She received the Vice Chancellor’s medal in 2015 from Nottingham University and the Nottingham University Global Knowledge and Impact Exchange Award in 2016.
Christine was made Emeritus Professor of Nursing at the University of Nottingham, School of Health Sciences, UK in June 2018.
She currently holds other visiting chairs at the following: University of Glasgow; Cardiff University Medical School Wound Healing Institute; Kanasawa University, Japan, Western Ontario University, Canada and LOROS Hospice UK .
Christine's current research interests are:
- Chronic wounds/leg ulcers
- Health-related quality of life
- Implementation science
- Psychosocial impact of chronic illness
- Public health/epidemiology of lymphoedema and leg ulceration
She has the following international collaborations:
- Professor Sue Gordon - Flinders University, Australia
- Professor Pamela Houghton - Western University, Canada
- Dr. Tonny Karlsmark and Susan Noerregaard - Copenhagean Wound Healing Centre, Denmark
- Professor Isabelle Quéré - Montpellier University, France
- Dr. S.R. Narahari - The Institute of Applied Dermatology, Kasaragod, India
- Professor Sandro Michelini - Dipartimento di Medicina Fisica e Riabilitativa, Roma, Italy
- Professor Junko Sugama - Kanazawa University, Japan
- Professor Hiromi Sanada - Tokyo University, Japan
- Professor Pinar Borman - Hacettepe University Lymphedema Research and Practice Center, Turkey
Christine has the following honorary positions:
- Chairman - International Lymphoedema Framework
- Life President - Leg Ulcer Forum
- Patron – Lindsay Leg Club
Sponsors and collaborators
Sponsors and Collaborators:
- 3M Healthcare
- BSN Global / ESSITY
- HTA (PITSTOP study)
- International Lymphoedema Framework (ILF)
- Smith & Nephew Healthcare
Selected Published Articles in Peer Reviewed Journals:
- Bosanquet N, Franks PJ, Moffatt CJ, Oldroyd M, Connolly M, Greenhalgh RM, McCollum CM (1993) Community leg ulcer clinics: cost effectiveness and future development. Health Trends 25:146-8
- Moffatt CJ, Franks PJ, Oldroyd M, Bosanquet N, Brown P, Greenhalgh RM, McCollum CN (1992) Community clinics for leg ulcers and impact on healing. British Medical Journal 305: 6866, 1389-1392
- Franks PJ, Bosanquet N, Connolly M, Oldroyd MI, Moffatt CJ, Greenhalgh RM, McCollum CN (1995) Venous ulcer healing: the effect of socio-economic factors in London. J. Epid Comm Health 49: 385-388
- Franks PJ, Oldroyd MI, Dickson D, Sharp EJ, Moffatt CJ (1995) Risk factors for leg ulcer recurrence. Age & Ageing 24:490-494
- Franks PJ, Morton N, Campbell A, Moffatt CJ (1997) Leg ulceration and ethnicity. Is there a difference between racial groups? Public Health 111:327-9
- Franks PJ Moffatt CJ (1999) Cost and effectiveness in leg ulcer services. British Journal of Dermatology 140:535
- Franks PJ, Moffatt CJ (2001) Health related quality of life in patients with venous ulceration: use of the Nottingham Health Profile.
Quality of Life Research 10 (8): 693-700.
- Franks PJ, Winterberg H, Moffatt CJ (2002) Quality of life and pressure ulcer assessment in patients treated in the community. Wound Repair & Regeneration 10 (3): 133-140.
- Franks PJ, McCullagh L, Moffatt CJ (2003) Assessing quality of life in patients with chronic leg ulceration using the Medical Outcomes Short Form-36 questionnaire. Ostomy/Wound Management. 49 (2): 26-37.
- Moffatt CJ, McCullagh L, O’Connor T, Doherty DC, Hourican C, Stevens J, Mole T, Franks PJ (2003). Randomised trial of four layer and two layer bandage systems in the management of chronic venous ulceration. Wound Repair & Regeneration 11 (3): 166-71
- Moffatt CJ, Franks PJ, Doherty DC, Williams AF, Badger C, Jeffs E, Bosanquet N, Mortimer PS (2003) Lymphoedema: an underestimated health problem. Quarterly Journal of Medicine: 96 (10): 731-8.
- Moffatt CJ, Franks PJ, Doherty DC, Martin R, Blewett R, Ross F (2004) Prevalence of leg ulceration: a study in a London population. Quarterly Journalof Medicine 97 (7): 431-437
- Williams AF, Moffatt CJ Franks PJ (2004) A phenomenological study of the lived experiences of people with Lymphoedema. Int J Palliat Nurs 10(6): 279-86.
- Moffatt CJ, Franks PJ (2004) Implementation of a leg ulcer strategy. Br J Dermatology 151 (4): 857-67
- Partsch H, Moffatt CJ et al. (2004) Evidence based compression therapy. VASA 2004; 34 (suppl 63); 1-39
- Pina E, Furtado K, Franks PJ, Moffatt CJ (2005) Leg ulceration in Portugal: prevalence and clinical history. Eur J Vasc. Endovasc Surg
- Moffatt CJ, Franks PJ, Doherty DC, Smithdale R, Maerin R (2006) Socio-demographic factors in leg ulceration. British Association of Dermatology: British Journal ofDermatology 155:107-312
- Franks PJ, Moffatt CJ, Doherty DC, Williams AF, Jeffs E, Mortimer PS (2006) Assessment of health related quality of life in patients with Lymphoedema of the lowerlimb. Wound Repair & Regeneration 14: 110-118
- Moffatt CJ, Doherty DC, Morgan PA (eds) Lymphoedema Framework. (2006) Best Practice for the Management of Lymphoedema: International Consensus. London:MEP: London
- Franks PJ, Moffatt CJ, Doherty D, Smithdale R, Martin R (2006) Longer-term changes in quality of life in chronic leg ulceration. Wound Repair and Regeneration14: 536-541
- Franks PJ, Moody M, Moffatt CJ, Hiskett G, Gatto P, Davies D, Furlong W, Barrow E, Thomas H (2007) Randomized trial of two foam dressings in the management ofchronic venous ulceration. Wound Repair and Regeneration 15: 187-202
- Moffatt CJ, Murray S (2010) The experience of children and families with Lymphoedema – a journey within a journey. International Wound Journal 7(1): 14-26
- Stout N, Brantus P, Moffatt CJ (2012) Lymphoedema management: An international intersect between developed and developing countries – similarities, differences, and challenges. Global Public Health, Volume 7, issue 2
- Dai M, Sugama J, Sato A, Tsuchiya S, Sanada H, Moffatt CJ (2015). Interrater reliability study of pitting test for oedema evaluation in the Kanazawa LIMPRINT study. Lymphoedema Research in Practice Volume 3:1 1-7
- Gregoire Mercier, Jenica Pastor. Valerie Clément, Ulysse Rodts Christine J Moffat, Isabelle Quéré (2017) Out-of-pocket payments, vertical equity and unmet medical needs in France: a national multicenter prospective study on lymphedema. International Journal for Quality in Health care (in press)
- Moffatt CJ, Aubeeluck A, Franks PJ, Doherty D, Mortimer P, Quere I (2017) Psychological factors in chronic oedema: a case-control study. Lymphatic Research and Biology 15 (3) 252-260
- Moffatt CJ, Keeley V, Franks PJ, Rich A, Pinnington LL (2017) Chronic oedema: a prevalent health care problem for UK health services International Journal of Wounds. October 2017.14 (5) 772-781
- Moffatt CJ, Doherty DC, Franks PJ, Morgan PA, Mortimer PS (2018) Community based treatment for lymphoedema – an effective service model. Lymphatic Research & Biology. 16 (1) 92-9
- Borman P, Moffatt C, Murray S, Yaman A, Denizli M, Dalyan M, Unsal-Delialioğlu S, Eyigör S, Ayhan F, Çakıt BD, Vural S, Özdemir O, E Kurt, Çelik EC, Cerrahoğlu L, Kepekçi M, Terzioğlu F, Donmez AA. (2019) LIMPRINT STUDY - The TURKISH experience. Lymphatic Research and Biology. (Accepted for publication)
- Dai M, Nakagami G, Sugama J, Kobayashi N, Kimura E, Arai Y, Sato A, Mercier G, Moffatt C, Murray S, Sanada H. (2019) The prevalence and functional impact of chronic edema and lymphedema in Japan: LIMPRINT Study. Lymphatic Research and Biology. (Accepted for publication)
- Keast DH, Moffatt CJ, Janmohammad A. (2019) Lymphedema IMpact and PRevalence INTernational (LIMPRINT) study: the Canadian data. Lymphatic Research and Biology. (Accepted for publication)
- Gordon SJ, Murray SG, Sutton T, Coulombe M-M, James SJ, Van Zanten M, Lawson JK, Moffatt C. (2019) LIMPRINT in Australia. Lymphatic Research and Biology. (Accepted for publication)
- Mercier G, Pastor J, Moffatt C, Franks P, Quéré I. (2019) LIMPRINT - Health-related quality of life in adult patients with crhonic oedema. Lymphatic Research and Biology. (Accepted for publication)
- Moffatt CJ, Gaskin R, Sykorova M, Dring E, Aubeeluck A, Franks PJ, Windrum P, Mercier G, Pinnington L, Quéré I. (2019) Prevalence and Risk factors for Chronic Oedema in UK Community Nursing Services. Lymphatic Research and Biology. (Accepted for publication)
- Moffatt CJ, Murray S, Mercier G, Quere I, Franks P. (2019) The development and validation of the Limprint methodology. Lymphatic Research and Biology. (Accepted for publication)
- Moffatt CJ, Quere I, Keeley V (2019) The concept of chronic oedema – a neglected public health issue and an International response – the LIMPRINT study. Lymphatic Research and Biology. (Accepted for publication)
- Moffatt CJ, Sykorova M, Aubeeluck A, Franks PJ, Pankhurst S, Bussey R, Whiston S, Murray S, Mercier G, Quéré I, Gordon S. (2019) Clinical and Ethical Challenges in Undertaking LIMPRINT in Vulnerable Populations. Lymphatic Research and Biology. (Accepted for publication)
- Nairn S, Dring E, Aubeeluck A, Quéré I, Moffatt C. (2019) LIMPRINT: A sociological perspective on "Chronic Oedema". Lymphatic Research and Biology. (Accepted for publication)