Senior Lecturer in Nursing and Mental Health- Nottingham Trent University
- Strategic lead for mental health nursing UG/PG
- Strategic lead and innovator of Health and wellbeing service
- Integral member of team to achieve NMC academic accredited institution
- Developing external partnerships
- Winner of Outstanding teaching staff in social sciences 2018
- Lead mental health teaching and curriculum development
- Innovated and created of user involvement strategy within school
- Innovated and designed of inclusive professional courses for local workforce
Senior Lecturer in Mental health Nursing – De Montfort University 2003-2006.
- Leading teaching and learning on undergraduate care of older people with mental health problems. This included assessment of students in practice, working with service users and practice staff to enhance the learning experience.
- Leading teaching and learning on Dementia Care for post graduate Nursing. This involved a pedagogic approach to ensure that professionals already in practice were examining their own skills with a view to enhancing them based on best evidence practice and visual representation of service user need
Practicing Registered Mental Health Nurse – Various Roles and positions within Nottinghamshire Mental Healthcare Trust, MIND, Chase Farm Hospital Middx, Greater Glasgow Healthcare Authority
- Ward based assessment of people with dementia. Assessment, planning, intervention and Evaluation techniques used to ensure service users, and their family’s needs were met.
- Community assessment and support of people with Dementia and with mental health problems. Long term support of families as well as crisis intervention, social integration and use of services support in the community. This was based on a collaborative approach to care planning which emphasized the needs of the service user and their families.
Beart, Kirsteen ; Barnard, Adam ; Skelhorn, Hannah (2015) Visual Methodologies in mental health The Journal of Mental Health Training, Education, and Practice, Vol.10(3), pp.170-179
Beart, Kirsteen. (2010) ‘Contemporary mental health care’ in Barnard, A (2011)
Key Themes in Health and Social Care. London: Routledge. ISBN-10: 0415476380 | ISBN-13: 978-0415476386
Beart, K., Whitehead, G. and Barnard, A. (2010) ‘Working with people’ in Barnard, A. (ed.) (2011) Key Themes in Health and Social Care. London: Routledge. Pp. 16-33.
Beart, K. (2006) Fundamental Aspects of the Caring for the Person with Dementia. London: Quay Books
Reviews: for Journal of Mental health and Education since 2012 – most recently:
Workforce development in dementia care through education and training: an audit of two counties 13-Jul-2015
Life story work: a participatory action research study 29-Oct-2015
Course(s) I teach on