Natalie is a Senior Lecturer in Politics and International Relations.
Before she returned to academia to study her PhD at Loughborough University in 2007, Dr Natalie Martin was a BBC News producer.
My research focuses on Turkey-EU relations on the one hand and liberal, and illiberal, democracy on the other. I am interested in the role of the news media in democratisation processes in Turkey - and elsewhere including the UK.
My research to date has focused on the Turkey-EU accession process and associated security issues such as migration and terrorism.
I am very interested in supervising PhD students in areas related to Turkish politics and also in issues of the role of the news media in liberal democracy, or otherwise, more generally. Contact email@example.com
NB: Funded opportunities may arise to carry out postgraduate research towards an MPhil / PhD in the areas identified above. Further information may be obtained on the NTU Research Degrees website https://www.ntu.ac.uk/research/research-degrees-at-ntu
I am on the editorial board of the Journal of Contemporary European Studies and a regular reviewer for other journals.
I am a member of EISA, PSA and BISA - and a co-convener of the BISA Working Group on South East Europe.
Sponsors and collaborators
- 2018: "The AK Party and the Kurds since 2014: A discourse of Terror", British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies. published online January 31st 2018. www.tandfonline.com/eprint/jCiqEuXP8eSetBxFMN4E/full
- 2017: Türkiye, Avrupa Birliği ve Brexit. In: D. Şekeroğlu and E. Esen, eds., Brexit - Elveda Avrupa İngiltere’nin AB’den Ayrılmasından Sonra Avrupa Bütünleşmesi ve Türkiye‐AB İlişkilerinde Fırsatlar ve Tehditler. Istanbul, Turkey: Friedrich Ebert Stiftung. ISBN 9786059221658
- 2016 with Dr Gulay Icoz: “Opportunities missed: Turkey-EU accession since 2005”, Special issue of the Journal of Contemporary European Studies. 24:2
- 2015: “How the EU came to open accession negotiations with Turkey: The role of the ‘well-placed Brits’”, Journal of European Integration History. 21:2 pp. 231-250
- 2015: Security and the EU Turkey Accession Process: Norms, Reforms and the Cyprus Issue. Palgrave, London (part of the New Security Challenges series edited by Stuart Croft) www.palgrave.com/page/detail/security-and-the-turkeyeu-accession-process-natalie-martin/?K=9781137450036
- Kurdish issue
- EU and Brexit
- European Security