Students from certain countries are required to register with the police on arrival in the UK. Find out how and where to do this.
Due to the current coronavirus restrictions, registering with the police is currently suspended. Please continue to check the Nottinghamshire Police website for updates.
Do I need to register?
When you arrive in the UK, you must register with the police if:
- you're from one of the countries listed below, and
- are entering the UK for more than six months.
If you need to register with the police, it will be clearly stated on your immigration document. This could be your:
- biometric residence permit (BRP)
- decision letter from your visa application centre or embassy overseas confirming your visa has been granted.
If you're required to register with the police, you must do this within seven days of your arrival in the UK.
Countries A to B
Countries C to J
Countries K to N
Countries O to P
Countries T to Y
How to register
Need to register with the police or update your police registration certificate? Visit the Nottinghamshire Police website. You'll find information on the process and how to make an appointment.
What documents do I need to provide?
- Your passport.
- Your visa: your entry clearance sticker in your passport or BRP card. Please note that you cannot complete police registration with your entry clearance sticker. You must collect your BRP first.
- Two recent passport-sized photographs.
- Letter from NTU (offer / CAS) confirming your course details.
- Completed police registration proforma.
- Receipt of payment from Barclays bank.
How much does police registration cost?
You'll pay a fee of £34 for your police registration application.
Nottinghamshire Police will tell you how to pay when you make your booking enquiry.
What is a police registration certificate?
A police registration certificate records your visa expiry dates and other personal details. These include your:
- date of birth
- marital status
- passport number
Keep your police registration certificate safe. You'll need it if you make any further visa applications. You must carry it with you when you travel in and out of the UK.
Should I tell the police if my details change?
Yes. Tell the police immediately if your personal details and immigration situation change. This is very important. Such changes could include:
- moving to a new address
- getting a visa extension
- getting a new passport
- losing your police registration certificate.
You must report any such changes to the police within seven days.