Working after your studies

Find out how to apply for permission to work in the UK after your studies, and how to find a graduate job.

You may wish to stay in the UK to work after you've finished your studies. If so, you need to find out what immigration category you may be able to apply for. UKCISA provides useful information about this.

Employability Online also has dedicated pages for international students. We have lots of resources to help you with your job search.

New graduate route ('post-study work' visa)

The UK government is launching the new post-study work visa in summer 2021.

This visa is for students completing their degree or other eligible qualification. From summer 2021, they will be able to stay in the UK to work for:

  • two years, or
  • three years if they are a PhD student.

Applicants don't need to have an employer to be able to apply. They can do most types of work once the visa is granted. They can even be self-employed.

The government has confirmed the route will be open for applications on 1 July 2021. Students will only be eligible to apply for the graduate route once they have successfully completed their course and once NTU has confirmed their eligibility for the route to UKVI. The Academic Registry will contact you by email to confirm your eligibility and remind you of your CAS number, which you will need for your graduate route application.

NTU will not confirm eligibility for the route to UKVI for students who have outstanding tuition fee debt.

See the UKCISA website for a summary of the information we currently have about this new visa. This includes:

  • application costs
  • eligibility criteria.

If you started a course of 12 months or less in 2020 or 2021, and have been studying remotely since the start of the course, you need to be in the UK with a Student visa by 27 September 2021 in order to be eligible to apply.

If you started a course of 12 months or less in 2020 or 2021, came to the UK with your Student visa, but have since gone home to study remotely, you need to be back in the UK before the expiry date of your visa to be eligible to apply.

If you have further questions about the Graduate visa, please book a place on one of our regular information sessions. We hold these every other Thursday from 1 pm to 2 pm over Microsoft Teams.

Other immigration options

The post-study work visa is not your only option for remaining in the UK after your studies. Others include:.

  • Youth Mobility Scheme visa (T5): This visa is for young people from participating countries and territories. They can experience life in the UK for a period of two years. Full-time work is permitted.
  • Skilled Worker visa (formerly Tier 2): To apply under the Skilled Worker route, you need sponsorship by a licensed employer. It must be to do a specific job that meets minimum levels of skill and salary. Free 15-minute appointments with a local solicitor’s firm specialising in immigration law are available for both NTU international students and employers who are in discussion about a job offer and have specific queries about the Skilled worker visa. To access this free advice, please email us with a brief outline of your query.
  • Start-up visa: This allows selected graduates to develop their business idea. Visit The Hive website for details and eligibility criteria.

For full details of the immigration routes allowing you to work in the UK, please visit the UKVI website.

Finding a graduate job

Our Employability team supports current students and recent graduates looking for work. They can offer extensive information and resources.

  • Last updated: 17/11/2021