NTU travel scholarships
Studying, working or volunteering abroad during your course? Apply for a scholarship funded by NTU and Santander Universities.
A scholarship can help with travel, accommodation, and other costs.
We can offer £200 in Europe and £500 for the rest of the world.
We encourage you to think about the environmental impact of your overseas travel.
Travelling internationally? Look for airlines that offset their carbon footprint. These include EasyJet, British Airways, Qantas, Air New Zealand, and Air Canada.
Who can apply for a travel scholarship?
Fully enrolled NTU undergraduate and postgraduate students travelling within the dates below. You can only receive one travel bursary or scholarship from NTU Global per academic year.
You are not eligible to apply if:
- you're a visiting or incoming exchange student
- you're receiving any other NTU funding for this overseas experience, such as:
- NTU International Volunteering Scheme
- other funding from your Academic School
- you graduate during or before your overseas experience
- you've already departed for your overseas experience – we can't make awards retrospectively.
Read the terms and conditions.
International travel bursary
Apply for this if:
- you're a UK undergraduate student in receipt of an NTU Bursary
- you have a combined household income of £25,000 or less (as assessed by Student Finance).
We'll review your application as a priority.
We accept applications on a rolling basis with the deadline date of 1 June.
International travel scholarship
Apply for this if:
- you're an undergraduate student and aren't eligible for the International Travel Bursary
- you're a postgraduate or a PhD student.
These scholarships are competitive and applications are open in two rounds (see below).
We'll notify you of the outcome within 15 working days of the application deadline below.
We're unable to award scholarships to all students who apply.
- Applications open until 1 December 2020.
- Mobility must end by 31 August 2021.
- Applications open from 4 January 2021 until 9 May 2021.
- Departure must be before 31 December 2021.
What can be funded?
- A study, work, or volunteering experience outside the UK.
- Exchange or study abroad schemes (semester or full-year).
- Work placements or internships abroad that relate to, or will enhance, your NTU course.
- Optional course trips or study visits.
- Volunteering activities that will enhance your NTU course. This does not include students receiving funding for the NTU International Volunteering Scheme. See the exclusions below. Please refer to the NTU Volunteering website before choosing your volunteering organisation.
- Language courses abroad.
- Summer schools or short courses.
- Conferences and exhibitions that relate to, or will enhance, your NTU course.
- A period of mobility that advances your international experience. It should benefit your studies and your personal and professional development. You must make this clear in your personal statement.
- You must leave for travel after 1 October 2020 and before 31 December 2021.
- Travel (economy only), accommodation, subsistence, and other necessary costs for an overseas visit
You must leave for travel after 1 October 2020 and before 31 December 2021.
The activity must be supported by your course leader or personal tutor and approved by NTU.
Travelling overseas for your formal sandwich year placement? You may be eligible for a RISE Sandwich Placement Bursary.
Travelling overseas for formal unpaid work experience? You may be eligible for a RISE Work Experience Bursary.
If you qualify for a RISE bursary, you can't apply for our travel bursary or scholarship.
Find out about RISE bursaries.
You must upload proof of travel. This can include, but isn't limited to:
- your flight ticket
- you accommodation booking
- acceptance onto your experience.
You must also download, fill out and upload our end-of-mobility report. This looks at how your experience benefited you academically, personally and professionally. We may use this to promote international mobility and our scholarship scheme to other students.
If you receive a Santander award, we'll ask you to submit a case study we can share with them.
Apply for a travel scholarship or bursary
You need to submit information about your overseas experience. You must outline how the award and your overseas experience will benefit you. Think in academic, personal, and professional terms.
Read the terms and conditions before applying.
If you have any questions, email us or visit a Global Lounge.
Apply through the mobility online portal.Apply now