NTU travel scholarships
Studying, working or volunteering abroad during your course? Apply for a travel scholarship or bursary funded by NTU and Santander.
A scholarship can help with:
- other costs associated with your overseas trip.
We can offer £200 for travel in Europe and £500 for the rest of the world.
We encourage you to think about the environmental impact of your overseas travel.
Travelling internationally? Look for airlines that offset their carbon footprint. These include EasyJet, British Airways, Qantas, Air New Zealand, and Air Canada.
Who can apply for a travel scholarship
To apply for a travel scholarship, you must be:
- an NTU undergraduate or postgraduate student
- fully enrolled
- travelling between the dates below.
You can only receive one travel bursary or scholarship from NTU Global per academic year.
You're not eligible to apply if:
- you're a visiting or incoming exchange student
- you're receiving any other NTU funding for this overseas experience, such as:
- Erasmus+ or the travel element of the Turing Scheme
- NTU International Volunteering Scheme
- other funding from your Academic School
- you graduate during or before your overseas experience
- you've already departed for your overseas experience. We can't make awards retrospectively.
Read the terms and conditions.
International travel bursary
You can apply for this bursary if:
- you're a UK undergraduate student in receipt of an NTU Bursary
- you have a combined household income of £25,000 or less, as assessed by Student Finance
- your duration of travel is 27 days or less.
We'll review your application as a priority.
We accept applications on a rolling basis with the deadline date of 1 June 2022.
International travel scholarship
You can apply for this scholarship if:
- you're an undergraduate student and aren't eligible for the international travel bursary
- you're a postgraduate or a PhD student.
These scholarships are competitive and applications are open in two rounds (see below).
We'll notify you of the outcome within 15 working days of the application deadline below.
We're unable to award scholarships to all students who apply.
- Applications open until 1 December 2021.*
- Mobility must end by 31 August 2022.
- Applications open from 1 January 2022 until 1 June 2022.*
- Departure must be before 31 December 2022.
*Applications that fall outside our deadlines may be considered on an individual basis. Email email@example.com to discuss this further.
What can be funded
- A study, work, or volunteering experience outside the UK.
- Exchange or study abroad schemes (semester or full-year).
- Work placements or internships abroad that relate to, or will enhance, your NTU course.
- Optional course trips or study visits.
- Volunteering activities that will enhance your NTU course. This does not include students receiving funding for the NTU International Volunteering Scheme. See the exclusions below. Please refer to the NTU Volunteering website before choosing your volunteering organisation.
- Language courses abroad.
- Summer schools or short courses.
- Conferences and exhibitions that relate to, or will enhance, your NTU course.
- A period of mobility that advances your international experience. It should benefit your studies and your personal and professional development. You must make this clear in your personal statement.
- You must leave for travel after 1 October 2021 and before 31 December 2022.
- Travel (economy only), accommodation, subsistence, and other necessary costs for an overseas visit
The activity must be supported by your course leader or personal tutor and approved by NTU.
Travelling overseas for your formal sandwich year placement? You may be eligible for a Rise Sandwich Placement Bursary.
Travelling overseas for formal unpaid work experience? You may be eligible for a Rise Work Experience Bursary.
If you qualify for a Rise bursary, you can't apply for our travel bursary or scholarship.
Find out about Rise bursaries.
You must upload proof of travel. This can include, but isn't limited to:
- your flight ticket
- you accommodation booking
- acceptance onto your experience.
You must also download, fill out and upload our end-of-mobility report. This looks at how your experience benefited you academically, personally and professionally. We may use this to promote international mobility and our scholarship scheme to other students.
If you receive a Santander award, we'll ask you to submit a case study we can share with them.
Applying for travel scholarships and bursaries
You will need to submit information about your overseas experience. You must outline how the award and your overseas experience will benefit you. Think in academic, personal, and professional terms.
If you have any questions, email us or visit a Global Lounge.
Sustainable Travel Scholarship
We at NTU commit to working towards the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. We're enabling a sustainable culture and reducing our environmental impact. One of the most effective ways we can do this is to reduce our carbon emissions.
Our Sustainable Travel Scholarship offers awards of up to £700, depending on destination. This is to encourage students to take part in overseas sustainability projects. We can also award it to students travelling overseas as part of their NTU course in a sustainable way.
This could be:
- reducing emissions from transport both in the UK and your host country
- reducing air pollution by travelling by train, ferry, bus, tram or electric vehicles
- carbon offsetting where air travel is unavoidable
- getting involved in sustainable projects in your host country
Who can apply?
This scholarship is open to you if you are:
- a fully enrolled NTU student, and
- participating in a sustainability project overseas, and / or
- undertaking a period overseas as part of your NTU course. You must then also be committed to:
- travelling to and from your destination in a sustainable way, and
- getting involved in sustainable projects whilst in-country.
These scholarships are competitive and applications are open in two rounds. See below.
- Applications open 1 October and close 1 December 2021
- For travel departing between January 2022 and June 2022
- Applications open 1 January and close 1 May 2022
- For travel departing between June 2022 and December 2022
A named academic must approve your overseas experience. This must occur as part of the application process.
The Sustainable Travel Scholarship is not available for students who:
- will graduate before or during their overseas experience
- are already receiving an NTU travel scholarship or bursary for their overseas experience
- are already receiving the travel element of Turing funding
- will not depart for their overseas experience until after 31 December 2022.
How to apply
Your application form is split into three parts:
- Information about yourself and your overseas experience.
- Answering questions about how you will:
- travel sustainably, and / or
- reduce your carbon emissions.
- Tell us how much money you'll need to get to and from your destination sustainably. Give us an itemised budget breakdown. You can receive:
- up to £300 for travel to and from Europe, or
- up to £700 for travel to and from international destinations.
The deadline for applications is either 1 December 2021 or 1 May 2022. This depends on your dates of travel. See the application rounds above.
- Submit a completed application form on Mobility Online.
- Before departure, you must submit:
- proof of travel or participation in the sustainable project, and
- completed risk assessment forms.
- After the overseas experience, you must submit a report, poster or presentation. It must be about your sustainable journey. It should include a reflection on your hopes and expectations before your experience. You should include:
- what you did and how you did it
- what you found the most rewarding
- what you found the most challenging
- your plans for your sustainable future.
Failure to meet these requirements may result in you having to return the award money to us.
Change of plans
If your plans change, let us know as soon as possible. This could be due to cancellation, the COVID pandemic, or any other reason you can no longer take part. You may have to return the award money to us.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have.