Travel scholarships and bursaries
Studying, working or volunteering abroad during your course? Apply for a travel scholarship or bursary to help with your costs.
Find out about our summer scholarships on our opportunities page.
A scholarship can help with:
- visa applications.
We can offer £200 for travel in Europe and £500 for the rest of the world.
We encourage you to think about the environmental impact of your overseas travel.
Travelling internationally? Look for airlines that offset their carbon footprint. These include EasyJet, British Airways, Qantas, Air New Zealand, and Air Canada.
Who can apply
- a fully enrolled NTU or Confetti undergraduate or postgraduate student
- not eligible to receive the travel element of the Turing Scheme funding
- travelling in this academic year, and / or departing for your overseas experience before 31 December 2023.
- you're a visiting or incoming exchange student
- you're receiving any other NTU funding for this overseas experience, such as:
- Erasmus+ or the Turing Travel Grant
- a RISE bursary — see below
- other travel funding from your Academic School
- your course ends during or before your overseas experience
- you've already departed for your overseas experience. We can't make awards retrospectively.
You can apply for our travel bursary if:
- you're a UK undergraduate student from a low-income household, or
- you're in receipt of the NTU Bursary.
All other students can apply for our competitive Travel Scholarship. This is available to both undergraduate and postgraduate students. See below for more details.
How to apply
You'll need to submit information about your overseas experience. You must outline how the award and your overseas experience will benefit you. Think in academic, personal, and professional terms.
To apply, please complete the online application form at the bottom of this page.
If you have any questions, email us or visit a Global Lounge.
If successful, you must upload proof of travel. You must do this before you depart for your overseas experience. This can include, but isn't limited to:
- your flight ticket
- you accommodation booking
- acceptance onto your experience.
After your overseas experience, you must complete our end-of-mobility report. Download it, fill it out, and upload it. The report looks at how your experience benefited you academically, personally and professionally. We may use this to promote international mobility and our scholarship scheme to other students.
What can be funded
- A study, work, or volunteering experience outside the UK.
- Exchange or study abroad schemes, either a semester or a full-year.
- Work placements or internships abroad that relate to, or will enhance, your NTU course.
- Optional course trips or study visits.
- Volunteering opportunities that will enhance your NTU course.
- Language courses abroad.
- Summer schools or short courses.
- Conferences and exhibitions that relate to, or will enhance, your NTU course.
- A period of mobility that advances your international experience. It should benefit your studies and your personal and professional development. You must make this clear in your personal statement.
You must leave for travel before 31 December 2023.
Your course leader or personal tutor must support the activity.
Scholarships and bursaries
International Travel Bursary
You can apply for this bursary if:
- you're a UK undergraduate student in receipt of an NTU Bursary and/or
- you have a combined household income of £25,000 or less, as assessed by Student Finance
- your duration of travel is 27 days or less
- you aren't in receipt of Turing Travel Funding.
We'll review your application as a priority.
We accept applications on a rolling basis with the deadline date of 1 June 2023.
International Travel Scholarship
You can apply for this scholarship if:
- you're an undergraduate student and aren't eligible for the international travel bursary
- you're a postgraduate or a PhD student.
These scholarships are competitive and applications are open in two rounds — see below. You can apply for this scholarship even if you're getting Turing funding. However, you can't apply for it if you're getting the travel element of the Turing funding.
We'll notify you of the outcome within 15 working days of the application deadline below.
We're unable to award scholarships to all students who apply.
- Applications open until 1 December 2022.*
- Mobility must end by 31 August 2023.
- Applications open from 1 January 2023 until 1 June 2023.*
- Departure must be before 31 December 2023.
*We may consider applications that fall outside our deadlines on an individual basis. Email email@example.com to discuss this further.
Rise Sandwich Placement Bursary
Travelling overseas for your formal sandwich year placement? You may be eligible for a Rise Sandwich Placement Bursary.
Travelling overseas for formal unpaid work experience? You may be eligible for a Rise Work Experience Bursary.
If you qualify for a Rise bursary, you can't apply for our travel bursary or scholarship.
Find out about Rise busaries.