Studying at NTU
Our range of foundation degrees offer flexibility and convenience, giving you all the benefits of studying at one of the UK’s biggest universities, but closer to home.
Choosing to study with us at Vision West Nottinghamshire College means you’ll benefit from a great campus and facilities, and all just a couple of miles from the centre of Mansfield.
You’ll learn in our £6.5 million University Centre, which opened in 2016 and is equipped with the latest facilities to support you as a student. These include:
- dedicated study zones including PC suites
- the Learning Resource Centre
- social spaces
- sports hall
- student support services
- Students' Union
- Diner and Courtyard Café
- beautiful and peaceful open spaces.
We want you to make the most of your time as a student with us. That means treating you as an individual, and providing tailored, useful support – whether it’s physical, emotional, spiritual, financial or academic.
Find out more about the ways we’ll support you.
Book and library resources
Our large library and friendly team make it easy for you to find the books and resources you’ll need during your course. They can also help you with things like using Harvard referencing and improving your research skills.
Take a look at our online learning facilities.
Employability and Careers team
Supporting your future
Today's job market is more competitive than ever. To stand out you'll need the whole package: a strong qualification, industry experience and the skills to properly market yourself. We're one of the UK's most employment-focused universities, and we're here to help.
Here's some of the services we provide to support you into employment.
Worried about financing your career?
We are here to help…To celebrate the launch of our courses in Mansfield, we are offering a Mansfield Scholarship Award to all students enrolling on a Nottingham Trent University Foundation Degree course.
Starting in the 2020/21 academic year. The award will be for £925 per year and will be offset against the course fee on enrolment.
Virtual Global Lounge
The Virtual Global Lounge is a fun welcoming and informative virtual community to entertain and support you. It’s also a place where you’ll get to chat you our students from all over the world – so a great way to make new friends and broaden your horizons.
As a student, you’re automatically invited to join the Virtual Global Lounge. You’ll take part in lots of fun activities, meet other NTU students, and learn something new. You can do things like learn a new language in our Language Café, take part in live chats, relax in a guided meditation session, play some games, or join the book club. The Virtual Global Lounge is hosted on Microsoft Teams – find out more.
Rise Bursary - Student Support for Success
At NTU we want all students to enjoy the same level of success both during and after their studies. Our Employability Rise Team was created to enable eligible students to fulfil their potential and have the same opportunity to access valuable industry experience and skills, as their peers.
Who’s eligible for the Rise Bursary
Research shows there are many factors that can influence student success during and beyond the University. In addition to what you do on your course, there can be some external factors that can impact your success, which Rise support aims to challenge. Students who meet any of the below criteria can access support from Rise:
- Postcode: Students from certain postcode areas where progression into Higher Education is low
- Low income households: Students who are entitled to maximum tuition fee and maintenance loan from Student Finance AND in receipt of the NTU Bursary
- Disability: Students in receipt of Disabled Student’s Allowance
- Care Leavers: Students who have formerly been in Local Authority or Foster Care
- University entry qualifications: Students who have entered university on BTEC qualifications only
What Student's say
The Work experience fund is “a fund to help you make the most out of your placement and select the right placement for you without having to worry as much about travel costs and food expenses you wouldn't usually make.” (Holly Clarke, Early Years & Psychology)
“The Work Experience Fund was very easy to apply for and I received my funding quickly in time for my work experience. It was a huge help for me in order to cover travel costs and it only takes a couple of minutes to check your eligibility for the funding!” “ (Chloe Chilton, Childhood Studies)
Over 50% of the students who attended last year's Rise PLAN went on to secure a placement for this year!* *Students who secured a year-long placement, or study abroad year following attendance at the Rise PLAN
Rise support you could access*
- Rise Work Experience Fund – Funding up to £300 to help with the costs of undertaking unpaid work experience. Students who meet at least one of the Rise eligibility Criterion can apply.
- Rise Progression Fund – Funding up to £75 to help with the costs of attending recruitment activities for 2nd year undergraduate placements and graduate opportunities. Students must meet at least one of the Rise criteria to apply.
- Rise PLAN – (Placement Learning Academy NTU) A specially developed programme designed to support 2nd year students seeking placements. This intensive programme aims to boost confidence and resilience, make you more commercially aware and give you the vital skills to achieve success in recruitment processes.
*Information correct as of May 2020, funds are subject to change.