We offer Pre-sessional English for Academic Purposes (PEAP) courses for international students who need to improve their language skills before starting an NTU course. Our courses range from 6 to 30 weeks depending on your ability and the English language level you need to achieve.
You can also apply, if you are not going to continue your studies with an undergraduate or postgraduate course.
|10 weeks||26 June 2017 - 1 September 2017||£3,200|
|6 weeks||24 July 2017 - 1 September 2017||£1,920|
|10 weeks||2 October 2017 - 8 December 2017||£3,250|
|6 weeks||30 October 2017 - 8 December 2017||£1,960|
|30 weeks||8 January 2018 - 31 August 2018||£9,790|
|20 weeks||8 January 2018 - 8 June 2018||£6,530|
|20 weeks||4 April 2018 - 31 August 2018||£6,530|
|10 weeks||4 April 2018 - 8 June 2018||£3,250|
|15 weeks||8 May 2018 - 31 August 2018||£4,900|
|10 weeks||25 June 2018 - 31 August 2018||£3,250|
|6 weeks||23 July 2018 - 31 August 2018||£1,960|
If you have also applied for an Undergraduate or Postgraduate course, then you will be required to reach a specific PEAP grade before you are able to progress at the end of your PEAP course. It is important to read the entry requirements on the How to apply page so you are aware of which PEAP course is right for you or understand how many weeks you will be asked to study in order to reach the appropriate level of English.
Pre-sessional English for Academic Purposes (PEAP) video
Watch our Pre-sessional English for Academic Purposes (PEAP) video to find out more.
How to pay your fees
- We require full payment for the 10 and 6-week PEAP courses. Pay online.
- For the 30, 20 and 15-week PEAP courses you can chose to pay full payment or select an advanced payment to join the course and then a payment plan in order to be fully enrolled. Pay online.
- You will be provided with a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) for each course accordingly. See the full fee payment details.
If you are thinking about where to live during your PEAP studies at NTU, then please read the information below.
We have a variety of student accommodation based on each campus. Please be aware that the accommodation is very popular and is therefore booked very quickly. As we cannot guarantee the availability of our rooms, we advise you look at the different options available.
What you'll study
This course will improve your all-round English language ability. You will also develop your study skills and find out about British university culture.
You will have access to the following facilities as a student at Nottingham Language Centre:
You will also have free access to the internet and email.
There are 21 hours of tuition per week. These include the following areas of study:
- general language improvement
- vocabulary and grammar development
- speaking and pronunciation
- social English
- academic language improvement
- listening and note taking
- reading academic books and articles
- writing essays and reports
- seminar skills
- oral presentations
- study skills
- literacy skills
- word processing
- project work.
How you’re taught
What to expect from the course
- You will be tested on arrival and placed in a group with students who share the same level of proficiency.
- You will have 21 hours of tuition per week.
- The maximum class size is 16.
- The minimum age of students is 18.
- You will be assessed with coursework, essays, tests and presentations.
Careers and employability
If you do not meet the English language requirements of your chosen degree, our Pre-sessional English for Academic Purposes (PEAP) courses will help you to achieve the necessary standard - enabling you to access academic institutions in the United Kingdom including Nottingham Trent University, and improving your education and employability.This course does not offer placements.
Entry requirements for PEAP (students requiring a Tier 4 visa)
To comply with Tier 4 visa regulations you must have an IELTS taken at an approved UKVI testing centre.
If you are applying for a PEAP course and you require a Tier 4 visa you must provide an IELTS and achieve the minimum requirements as outlined in the table below.:
|Current IELTS||IELTS Requirement|
|IELTS 6||IELTS 6.5||IELTS 7|
|4.0 with a minimum of 4.0 in each component||20 weeks||30 weeks||n/a|
|4.5 with a minimum of 4.0 in each component||15 weeks||20 weeks||n/a|
|5.0 with a minimum of 4.0 in each component||10 weeks||15 weeks||n/a|
|5.5 with a minimum of 4.0 in each component||6 weeks||10 weeks||n/a|
|6.0 with a minimum of 4.0 in each component||None||6 weeks||n/a|
|6.5 with a minimum of 4.0 in each component||None||None (but some Schools may require 6 weeks if less than IELTS 6 in Reading and Writing)||10 weeks|
Please read the following important information:
|Current IELTS||University of Reading TEEP||Password||Pearson Test of English (Academic only)||IELTS Requirement|
|IELTS 6||IELTS 6.5||IELTS 7|
|4.0||n/a||4.0||n/a||30 weeks||30 weeks|
|4.5||4.5||4.5||32||15 weeks||20 weeks|
|5.0||5.0||n/a||38||10 weeks||15 weeks|
|5.5||5.5||n/a||46||6 weeks||10 weeks|
When you start your academic course, we offer English language support classes free of charge to all international students.
- You will need to provide proof of your current language level in order to be accepted.
- This course is not suitable if you are a beginner in English.
- If you need a higher entry level than IELTS 6.5, your University department will need to guide you on what preparation you need.
How to apply
Please use our online system to apply for a pre-sessional English course:
If you are applying for a course through UCAS you also need to contact Admissions explaining that you would like to apply for the PEAP course.
If you need to apply for a visa to study in the UK, please read the information on immigration.
Please read our notes on the University's commitment to delivering the educational services advertised.