Nottingham Trent University has been designing and delivering professional training and courses for practitioners in the career development field since 1973 and has developed a strong national reputation in the field. Our dedicated staff are professionally trained practitioners in the career development sector, and they provide a wealth of experience and support for our students. The team are actively engaged in research and other professional activities, including delivering papers at conferences and training events. Not only is the curriculum content enriched by these activities, but they also feed directly in to our approaches to teaching and learning.
This programme has been designed with the busy professional in mind. It's delivered over a sixteen week period via a blended learning platform comprising three face-to-face days, weekly online teaching and learning activities, and one-to-one tutorials. A platform of carefully constructed bite-size activities enables the synthesis of theory and practice, supporting the reflection and application of ideas to your own institutional and regional context. The three days face-to-face contact are vital in establishing supportive relationships and promoting the sharing of good practice, which are key to successful outcomes. On-going support and feedback is embedded within the structure.
This course starts in January 2020 and has additional start dates throughout the year.
What you'll study
The course aims to equip you, as a Careers Leaders, to:
- Apply knowledge and understanding of key theoretical, political and ethical positions in the context of your role
- Evaluate your institution’s careers provision utilising the Gatsby Benchmarks and generate action plans to enhance provision
- Apply understanding of leadership skills to advocate for, and manage strategic and sustainable change
- Enhance personal effectiveness within your role as a career professional
Aligned to the programme content, the training will enable you to:
- Reflect on the results of your Compass audit, sharing insights and good practice for future development
- Evaluate key theories of career development and career planning, and apply those insights for designing and developing career education and learning within your institution
- Explore models and approaches to curriculum design and learning pedagogy in order to evaluate your careers programme and the links to the curriculum
- Identify and access a range of labour market information sources; evaluate the sources and quality of LMI using a range of criteria; explore the distinction between information and intelligence; and utilise LMI to inform careers programmes.
- Explore a range of different education and employment routes, including vocational routes
- Critique policy and frameworks associated with career education and guidance in schools and colleges, applying those insights for benchmarking and developing your programme
- Appraise the responsibilities and principles underpinning key functions of careers leadership, including co-ordination, networking, management and leadership, utilising key theoretical perspectives in relation to leadership and change management to support you in developing these aspects of your role
- Determine principles underpinning a strategic approach to the monitoring, evaluation and review process, and apply these insights for producing a development plan with actions and recommendations to enhance provision.
- Develop yourself and the careers provision by engaging in reflection and evaluation, and in light of new evidence and contemporary thinking within the career development sector.
How you’re taught
Our blended mode of delivery won the UK Career Development Institute Award for ‘Best Practice in the use of Technology Career Development’, sponsored by Prospects, in recognition of our innovative use of technology to support student careers development practitioners.
Student learning is supported through a range of scaffolded and collaborative teaching and learning activities, within a teaching and learning environment that fosters student-centred, facilitative learning. Incorporated within the design of the teaching and learning are opportunities to share good practice, gain peer feedback, as well as tutor feedback. Tutorials will support the personalisation of the learning and enable you to discuss individual situations on a one-to-one basis with your tutor. Our methods are varied and include:
- face-to-face training days
- online activities using digital technology, for example Padlet, audio/visual recordings
- individual tutorials
- case study investigations
- interactive and collaborative group learning
- formative tasks that enable you to gain feedback on your learning
- provider/employer visits
- reflective logs that facilitate and develop learning during teaching and learning
As a student of NTU, you’ll have access to a wide range of student support services including an extensive online library, access to the most current research in the field of career development, and online study materials.
The programme is offered via accredited and non-accredited routes. For those studying on the accredited route, you can gain accreditation of 30 credits at Masters Level (Level 7), which can be transferred onto the Postgraduate Certificate in Career Development or the QCD/Masters provision (up to PG Diploma Level) - all available via a blended learning route and providing eligibility for the UK Register of Career Development Professionals.
How to apply
How to apply
If you have any questions and would like to find out more about the programme or you wish to apply for the programme please contact Jo McFadden, the programme leader, at:
Recruitment is ongoing.
Please read our notes on the University's commitment to delivering the educational services advertised.
Fees and funding
Fees and funding
The Careers Leaders training programme is being funded by The Careers & Enterprise Company. In order to be eligible for a place on the course, all Careers Leaders need to register for training on The Careers & Enterprise Company’s website at careersandenterprise.co.uk.