What to bring to university
It’s time to start preparing for your arrival at Nottingham Trent University (NTU). Make sure you've had a think about what to bring, to get you off to great start.
The practical things
- Bring your paperwork – Have copies of any letters from NTU, student finance and UCAS with you. Make sure you have your student finance login details so any problems can be sorted as soon as possible. You should also make sure you have at least one form of ID with you.
- Bring some money – It can take three to five days for your loan to reach your bank account once you’ve enrolled in person. It’s a good idea to bring some money with you to cover the first few days; how much you spend is up to you, but we recommend you bring at least £200.
- Make sure you’re insured – We suggest that you take out insurance to cover your belongings, in case they get broken or stolen. If you’re living in University accommodation, basic insurance cover will be included. If you’re in private accommodation, you’ll need to arrange your own cover.
The things for student life
- Sports kit, musical instruments and anything for your hobbies – Team trails will take place during Welcome Week, so make sure you bring your sports kit with you. NTU Sport also offer gym packages – visit the NTU Sport team at the City Campus or Clifton Campus gym desks for more information and to sign up for gym membership. There's plenty of musical opportunities to get involved in too – visit our music website for more information.
Welcome Week is a great time to try something new or to get involved with clubs and societies of interest - so pack your Frisbees, knitting needles, netballs and instruments!
Kit out your new home
If you’re staying in NTU accommodation, you’ll need to bring bedding and bits and pieces for the kitchen, such as bowls, cutlery, pans, can openers etc. If you’re living somewhere else, check what’s provided. Make sure you bring things to make your room feel like home too.
We have partnered with UniKitOut who provide bespoke student packages from kitchen to bedding packs and all the extras you might need for your new home. You can even get your pack delivered to your new accommodation so it's waiting for you on your arrival.
You can save 10% on your order with the discount code 'TRENT10'
The things for your studies
- Equipment for your course – Check what books and equipment you’ll need. This will be outlined in your course induction information. You can always get hold of things once you’re in Nottingham, but it’s a good idea to be prepared before you arrive.
- IT needs – The current students’ webpages include information about the IT facilities at NTU including how to download your free copy of MS Office 365 for students. There's plenty of computers that you can use across all three of our campuses, but you may wish to bring your own laptop or computer with you.
And don't forget...
Take a look at our essential items Pinterest board for more ideas about what to bring with you.
Staying healthy at NTU
NTU is supporting the NHS campaign encouraging all new students going to university or college for the first time, including overseas and mature students up to the age of 25, to protect themselves against meningitis.
Get the new MenACWY vaccine from your GP before you arrive, to make sure you stay healthy while you’re here. Visit the NHS website to find out more about meningitis and the new MenACWY vaccine.