Getting involved at NTU
Coming to university isn't just about studying. Throwing yourself into something beyond the classroom can be an unforgettable part of your experience at Nottingham Trent University (NTU). It’s the perfect time to try something new – to broaden your horizons, meet new people, and develop the skills that’ll set you up for life. Here's some ideas, to get you started.
Your first week with us promises to be one to remember, with lots of events and activities for you to get involved in. You’ll be sent a Winter Welcome guide by post or by email in early December. Inside you’ll find all the events that are going on throughout the week and information about how to get involved. You'll also find lots of information on our Welcome Week website.
Don't miss these essential events.
- Your course induction – Course induction is a vital part of your course and takes place primarily during Welcome Week. It is essential that you attend all aspects of your course induction activities, as these are designed to give you a flavour of what your course will involve and how you will be taught. It is also a great opportunity to meet your tutors and course mates.
My course offered team building and icebreaker activities, which helped me get to know people.
Robyn, BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science
Your university – your opportunities
Join a society
It’s a great way to make new friends, doing something you love. Our Students' Union runs over 110 societies, covering a huge range of passions and interests.
With over 60 sports clubs, two gyms and a range of fitness classes on campus, there’s something for everyone here – whether you’re a beginner, or an expert. NTU’s Sports and Fitness membership scheme gives you unlimited access to all of our facilities and sessions – follow the link to find out more.
If you're musical, you'll find that there are plenty of opportunities to show your skills at NTU. Play in one of our orchestras and ensembles, or sing in one of our choirs – whatever your interests, or level of experience!
Support your community
Get involved with your Students' Union
The Students' Union is the social heart of the University. Run by students for students, it’s there to represent you.
Visit our Global Lounges
We have Global Lounges at our City and Clifton Campuses. These are relaxed environments, open to UK and international students and hosts many cultural events and activities throughout the year.
Making new friends
Leaving behind the comforts of home might seem a little daunting – but once you arrive at university, just remember that everyone’s in the same boat. It’s important to approach the first few weeks of your new life here with an open heart, and an open mind. As well as the opportunities that we’ve outlined above, you can meet lots of new people by:
- joining us on social media – there are over 200 social media accounts connected to NTU, and Facebook groups for each one of our halls of residence. Connect with sports clubs, departments, societies and more!
- going to as many of our Welcome Week events as you can - with over 500 to get involved with, they're ready made ice breakers.
- attending your course induction – meeting the people who you’ll be learning alongside for the next few years.
- doing your own bit to make sure your new home is a happy one – chat to everyone you see in your new accommodation. Bond over a cup of tea, and don’t be afraid to knock on your new neighbour’s door. Even if you don’t live in halls, our Welcome Week events are designed to keep you fully included in the NTU experience.
For more advice on getting yourself settled at uni, visit our living away from home section.