Health and wellbeing

Find out about staying healthy whilst studying at NTU, including the Immigration Health Surcharge and registering with a doctor in the UK.

Settling in a new country involves getting used to a lot of differences. It can mean going through many changes – environment, climate, food, customs, and culture. It's important that you take care of your health and wellbeing. See the Healthy NTU section of our website for more information.

All international students studying in the UK for six months or more have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS). It's part of their visa application. They are entitled to free healthcare on the National Health Service (NHS). Their spouse and children who are with them in the UK are also entitled to free healthcare, provided they hold a dependant visa.

Free healthcare includes:

  • consulting a doctor (also known as a general practitioner or GP)
  • treatment in a hospital, including emergency treatment.

Charges apply for prescriptions and specific GP services, e.g. travel vaccinations.

If your course lasts under six months:

  • you won't normally receive free healthcare, except in limited situations
  • it's important that you take out medical insurance to cover your stay in the UK.

Find detailed information about healthcare and NHS entitlement on the UKCISA website.

If you're an EEA, EU, or Swiss national, you need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Get this before coming to the UK for your studies. This card entitles the holder to full free NHS treatment. See our information for EU and EEA students webpage for further information.

We recommend that you register with a doctor soon after your arrival in the UK. It will make it easier for you to access medical services if you get ill.

  • Last updated: 21/10/2020