Standard visitor visa (for graduation)
Find out how to get a standard visitor visa to return to attend your graduation at NTU.
Depending on when you complete your course at NTU, you may not have enough time on your Student visa to attend your graduation ceremony.
It is not possible to apply for a Student visa extension solely for the purpose of attending your graduation ceremony.
Students who do not have enough time on their visa but want to attend their graduation ceremony, are advised to return to their home country before their visa expires and to come back to the UK with a Standard Visitor visa.
Standard visitors are allowed to stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months.
How to apply
The process of obtaining a Standard Visitor visa varies depending on your nationality.
If you are a non-visa national, you are able to enter the UK as a Standard Visitor without applying for Entry Clearance (a visa) before your arrival.
If you are a visa-national, you are required to apply for Entry Clearance as a Standard Visitor before travelling to the UK.
To check if you need to get a visa before arriving in the UK, please visit the GOV.UK website.
Standard visitor visa restrictions
If you enter the UK as a Standard Visitor, you are not entitled to:
- Work (this includes paid, unpaid, voluntary work or self-employment or work as part of a work placement or internship)
- Extend your visa in the UK, or switch to a different visa category from within the UK
- Bring dependants (family members will need to apply for their own Standard Visitor visa)
Applying for entry clearance (visa nationals)
If you are a visa national, you are required to apply for a standard visitor visa prior to your arrival in the UK.
To find out more about the visa application process in your country, including how to apply and the location of visa application centres, please visit the GOV.UK website
The following is an outline of the documents that standard visitors are required to provide in support of their application. A full and comprehensive list of supporting documents can be found on the GOV.UK website
Documents you will need to provide:
Complete the online application form for Standard Visitors available from the GOV.UK website.
- Correct fee (currently £95 in local currency)
- Bank statements or payslips to show that you have enough funds to pay for the trip and to support yourself without working or getting any help from public funds
- If you are studying or working in your home country, evidence of your current employment or studies
- Evidence that you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit (for example, a letter from your employer confirming you have a job to return to)
- Invitation letter from the University to confirm you are coming back to the UK to attend your graduation ceremony
You can request this letter once you have confirmed your attendance at the graduation ceremony by email.
Make sure you include your
- Student ID number
- Home address
- Date of birth
- The address to which the letter should be sent
Alternatively, your School Office can provide you with a letter confirming your course details and graduation ceremony dates.
Applying at the port of entry (non-visa nationals)
If you are a non-visa national, you can usually request entry as a visitor at immigration control when you arrive in the UK. You will need to submit the above documentation (except the application form and visa fee) to the Immigration Officer at your port of entry (airport, ferry port etc) and be prepared to answer any questions about your visit.
If you are a national of an EU country, Australia, Canada, Iceland, Japan, Liechtenstein, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland or the USA and you have a biometric passport, you can use the eGates on your arrival in the UK and receive automatic entry as a visitor if you do not already hold alternative permission to enter the country. If you are entering via the eGates, you will not need to speak to an Immigration Officer and receive a stamp in your passport.
If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss national and you wish to travel to the UK for your graduation using your National Identity Card, please email us for advice.