Find out how to get a reference through the Higher Education Degree Datacheck, obtain a character reference or request a verification letter or duplicate certificate.

Higher Education Degree Datacheck (HEDD)

We are pleased to announce the implementation of the new Higher Education Degree Datacheck (HEDD) online verification service for employers and agencies to verify Nottingham Trent University awards. Please note that this service is only for third parties.

The system has been developed by Graduate Prospects, in consultation with universities, employers and screening agencies. Funded by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) and launched by Graduate Prospects, HEDD is now being rolled out to institutions throughout the UK.

HEDD is supported by the UK Government and recognised authorities of UK Higher Education.

The aim is to combat a growing market for degree fraud by creating a secure and reliable portal that ensures our UK graduates are treated fairly in the highly competitive employment market.

HEDD is a secure online verification service allowing you to check that a UK university or college is or has been recognised as a degree-awarding body by the UK Government.

It allows employers and agencies to verify the degree qualifications of graduates from UK universities and colleges from a single online portal.

Please note: we no longer respond to any postal reference requests.

Employers and agencies

All requests to verify information regarding current students, leavers and graduates are now processed through Higher Education Degree Datacheck (HEDD). Verification requests should be submitted at their HEDD website.

Higher Education Degree Datacheck (HEDD)

The online candidate verification service allows registered enquirers to input data provided by applicants (name, date of birth, institution, year of graduation, qualification classification etc). In real time the service checks the information given against an encrypted dataset from the institution's student records and verifies it if it is matched. Enquirers will be charged a small fee per enquiry.

How to register

To make an enquiry you need to register with HEDD by visiting. Select 'Nottingham Trent University' from the list of UK higher education institutions and choose the option to 'verify a degree award'. There is a charge of £12 per enquiry. If you require further assistance, please email.

Making an enquiry

What you will need:

  • The candidates name at the time of study
  • Date of Birth
  • Course title
  • Qualification
  • For graduates you will also need their year of graduation/award
  • Result/award or grade

We recommend that you ask to see the degree certificate if there is one, and use that as the basis of your verification enquiry, or ask individuals to give you their data as they believe it’s recorded in the student records system. That way you have a better chance of getting an automatic verification. If you don't get an automatic verification, the enquiry will go to the Student Records Team at Nottingham Trent University for manual verification, with a five working-day turnaround time.

If you want to verify start dates, please ensure these are requested at the time of making the enquiry.

Management information

All your enquiries are stored in the system and can be exported as an MS Excel or CSV file. You can sort your enquiries according to status:

  • Automatically verified
  • Pending – this means we couldn't automatically verify your enquiry and you're waiting for a response from the University
  • Not verified – where the University has responded in the negative
  • Partially verified – where the University has verified some but not all of the data, e.g. the wrong year of graduation has been submitted


If you have any problems or queries, please email, including your phone number if you would like a call back. Graduate prospects have conducted previous research with enquirers as well as a pilot program, but your feedback at this stage will be critical in developing the system over the next year, as we roll out to other UK universities.

Current and former students

As a current or former student of Nottingham Trent University you may at times require verification of your study, a replacement certificate, or transcripts or information relating to your studies. If you graduated in 2001 or before, we may only be able to verify limited information regarding your studies, such as the award, the classification and year of the award; or produce a duplicate certificate.

Verification letter

This is a formal letter of verification from the University confirming the dates you attended, the course you studied, and any qualifications you achieved.

Please visit our online store

If you were or currently are a student at one of our validated centres, please contact the following departments to request a verification letter or a transcript:

Replacement or duplicate certificate

Please note that we can only offer a replacement certificate if you were awarded your qualification in 1993 or later.

Request a duplicate certificate

Copy of my transcript

A transcript is a detailed breakdown of all modules studied and the marks achieved.

Obtain a copy of your transcript

Academic reference

An academic reference confirms your course and the dates that you studied, and any awards you achieved. It will not, however, comment on your character.

All academic references for current and former NTU students are processed through Higher Education Degree Datacheck (HEDD). Please direct your prospective employer to the HEDD website, and they will be able to log on and obtain an academic reference for you.

HEDD is supported by the UK government and recognised by the authorities of UK higher education. For more information on HEDD you can visit their website.

Character reference

A character reference is based on your character and can only be completed by someone who knows you and your nature, such as a former tutor.

Obtain a character reference

  • Last updated: 01/10/2020