Assessment Centre

Find out about our Assessment Centres, located in the Student Centre on the Clifton Campus and in the Newton Building on the City Campus.

Our Assessment Centres

Our Assessment Centre on our Clifton Campus has continued to grow since it opened in 2003. It supports our disabled students, and those who live in Nottingham but study elsewhere.

We're positioned within the Student Support Services in the centre of the University. That allows us to liaise with our in-house support teams and academic teams across NTU. We see first-hand how the Disable Students Allowance (DSA) benefits our students.

Our experienced assessment team gives the best possible service to all students we assess. We strive to achieve 100% satisfaction from students.

We opened our second Assessment Centre in 2019. It's situated in the Newton building, in the heart of our City Campus. We developed it in response to students requesting assessments in the city centre.

We provide assessments for students at any higher education (HE) institution in the UK. We have an excellent working relationship with may local universities. We continue to build links with other institutions further afield.

We're here for any student deemed eligible for the DSA by their funding body. We'll get the right strategies in place to support you through your education.

We're members of the National Network of Assessment Centres (NNAC). It has over 44 national centres and many outreach centres. For more information, visit the NNAC website.

Opening times, fees and contact information

Opening times

Our assessment centres are open Monday to Friday between 9 am and 4.30 pm throughout the year. They are not open on bank holidays or University closure days.

There is a voicemail message system in operation out of hours. We respond to voicemails within 24 hours.

Assessments are available to book Monday to Friday from 9 am until 6.30 pm.

Inclusive fee

We charge a single assessment fee of £550. This is paid for directly through your DSA. You do not have to pay yourself. This is a one-off fee. It covers assessment updates that may be required for the duration of your course. It also covers any update when you progress to postgraduate level.

Contact details

Email us or call +44 (0)115 848 3495.

Where to find us

City Campus

Nottingham Trent University
Newton Building
Goldsmith Street

Get directions
City Campus map

Clifton Campus

Nottingham Trent University
Student Support Centre
Clifton Campus
Clifton Lane
NG11 8NS

Get directions
Clifton Campus map

The assessment process

What do I need to do? 

1. Make an appointment

You'll get an approval letter from your funding body asking you to book an assessment of needs. Once you have it, email or call 0115 8483495 to contact us.

2. Provide documents prior to your assessment

Once we've confirmed your appointment, we'll send you a pre-assessment form. We'll also tell you how to find us.

You'll then have to send us:

  • your completed pre-assessment form
  • a copy of the approval letter from your funding authority
  • a copy of your supporting evidence. This is the same evidence you sent in with your DSA application. It could be a letter from your doctor, or a report from an educational psychologist.

During the assessment

The assessment is a meeting with one or our assessors. They're professional, skilled and friendly. They'll determine how the DSA funds should be used to support you while you are studying.

Our assessors have experience with assessing students with different and sometimes complex disabilities. We carefully match you with the most suitable assessor.

During the meeting, you'll discuss:

  • the learning strategies you currently use
  • the requirements of your course
  • any support needs you have.

The assessor will suggest ways to manage the effect of your disability on your studies. This could include:

  • equipment
  • assistive software.

We also often recommend:

  • specialist mentor support
  • specialist study skills.

We'll discuss these with you if they might be an appropriate form of support.

If there's a disability-related need, we might also be able to recommend:

  • British Sign Language (BSL) interpreters
  • specialist note-takers.

The purpose of the assessment is to determine a comprehensive support package. It should suit you, and support you during your studies.

The assessor will:

  • answer any questions you may have
  • demonstrate any equipment they feel will be suitable
  • agree with you any recommendations to be made for your DSA allowance.

After the assessment

Your assessor will write a comprehensive report making formal recommendations. It will explain how the recommendations will assist you.

These reports are checked:

  • for quality
  • for the appropriateness of the recommendations
  • to make sure they meet the standards required by the Department for Education (DfE).

You'll have the option of receiving a draft copy of the report before we send it to your funding body. If you don't want a draft, we'll send the straight to your funding body, and you'll receive a final copy.

If you've had your assessment at our centre, we'll contact you after three or four months. We'll check you've received all your recommended support.

We'll also get in touch 12 to 14 months after your assessment. We'll check how you're doing on your course, and if there's any further support we can give you.

After your DSA has been approved

You'll receive a letter from your funding body. It will outline the approved support and / or equipment, and who will supply it.

Please read this letter very carefully. It will tell you what you need to do next.


You'll need to contact the equipment supplier named in the letter. You'll be asked to send them a copy of this letter.

If it's been recommend you have a new computer, it's at this stage you'll discuss:

  • any upgrades you may want
  • how you'll make the £200 contribution.

You'll find all the recommendations in the assessment of needs report.

If you're provided with a new computer:

  • it will be insured
  • it will have a maintenance contract with the supplier.

Check your assessment of needs report. It will tell you if additional insurance and / or maintenance are required. This is particularly important if you already have a computer you should continue to use.

Support — non-medical helpers

If you've been recommended non-medical helpers from NTU Support, find more information below.

More information about the Assessment Centre

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)

Please see Funding Your Support for more information.

Assessment of Needs or Top-up Assessment

Once you have permission for assessment of needs or top-up assessment, you should call +44 (0)115 848 3495 to organise an appointment.

We have two Assessment Centres at Nottingham Trent University. One is at Clifton, and the other is in the city centre.

If you had your original assessment at another centre, you must contact them for a top-up assessment.

The waiting list

We aim to meet our Key Performance Indicator (KPI) of booking assessments within 15 working days of you getting in touch with us. Often we can book you in within a few days.

After your assessment — what to do next

If your assessment was at one of our Assessment Centres, email us or call +44 (0)115 8483495. If you've had an assessment at another centre then you should call that centre.

Ordering the recommended equipment

Your funding body will contact you by email, telling you how to order the equipment. The usual way to order the equipment is for you to call the supplier named in the letter. They'll need a copy of the letter.

If you need help ordering your equipment, contact your Disability Officer at your university. You'll find their contact details towards the end of your assessment report.

I had my assessment some time ago and I need to talk about the support

You should call +44 (0)115 848 3495 or email us outlining briefly what you need.

Faulty or broken equipment — who to contact

You should contact the supplier of the equipment. There is usually a maintenance agreement in place to cover repairs.

Lost or stolen laptop — what to do

If your equipment has been stolen, contact the supplier to check the insurance policy.

In the meantime, the library have a limited number of laptops you can borrow. They're available for use within the library for up to four hours.

What to do if you're not happy with the service

Please talk to your assessor or the Assessment Centre Administrator first. They'll be able to talk you through the complaints process. If you then wish to make a formal complaint, please:

  • write to the Student Support Services (Disability Services) Manager at the Student Services Centre.


These are just a few of the comments we have received from students we have assessed this academic year.

"I was able to get across everything I needed to. My assessor was very thorough as well as supportive, and she recommended a wide range of useful tools to help me with my studies. Thank you!"

September 2020

"Very understanding and asked appropriate questions to do with my disability. She took interest in what I had to say."

December 2020

"Information being relayed to me was very clear. It was also reassuring because they informed me of everything I needed to know and what I was worried about."

January 2021
  • Last updated: 05/12/2022