Physical, sensory and long term health conditions

The Disability Support Service offers advice and information for individual current and prospective disabled students on the types of support available.

We can liaise with University Academic Schools, services and outside agencies and help to coordinate any additional requirements you may have. We can give assistance with funding for your support needs and other financial support issues including:

  • Disabled Students' Allowances
  • advice on any special grants for which you may be eligible
  • advice on funding for support with day-to-day living needs (this can include any personal care or help you may require)

Personal support

Going to university may mean you have to reassess your personal assistance arrangements, especially if you normally receive help with mobility and everyday tasks from family members. However, Local Authority Social Services should provide you with the support you need.

Paying for your personal support

You can choose to have direct payments to buy services that meet your assessed needs instead of receiving services directly provided by social services.

Contact the Disability Support Service

  • Email
  • Telephone: +44 (0)115 848 2085

Book a disability advice session

Frequently asked questions

Am I a disabled student?

You are a disabled student if you have a long-term medical condition or impairment. This could be:

  • physical (for example, a restricted mobility)
  • sensory
  • a visual impairment
  • a hidden disability for example diabetes, Autistic Spectrum Conditions or epilepsy.

It could also include mental health difficulties and specific learning difficulties like dyslexia.

If your disability has an impact on your life at university (for example, taking exams, accessing buildings, taking notes, using the library) you may be eligible for support.

Should I visit or attend an open day?

Yes, this is your opportunity for you to visit us and discuss your requirements. An early visit allows us to assess your needs and support you to apply for funding to ensure a successful start to your university experience. If you need specific support for a visit to the University, for instance, information in different formats, or the services of a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter you can email us in advance of your visit.

What kind of support does the University provide?

There is a wide range of support available including:

  • assistive technology to support your study
  • note taking during lectures
  • BSL interpreters
  • one-to-one study skills support
  • mentoring support for students with Autistic Spectrum Conditions
  • extended loans in the library
  • alternative exam arrangements
  • accessible accommodation

If you want to find out more, please email us.

Do I have to pay for my support?

If you have support needs, you can apply for Disabled Students' Allowances. This is an important source of funding that disabled students, including those with mental health difficulties and specific learning difficulties may be entitled to receive. DSA can cover the costs of additional needs associated with being at university. It is not means-tested and it does not have to be repaid once you have completed your course.

What are Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA)?

The Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA) are a vital source of support for disabled students. This funding is administered by Student Finance England or relevant funding bodies in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. DSA can cover the costs of additional needs associated with being at university. This funding is not means-tested and it does not have to be repaid once you have completed your course.

Disabled Students' Allowances can cover the costs of:

  • equipment (for example, assistive software)
  • non-medical support workers (for example, notetakers, BSL interpreters and mentors)
  • general allowances (for example, extra costs of books and photocopying)
  • a travel allowance for people who cannot use public transport or have mobility difficulties

How do I apply for DSA?

Visit the Directgov website for information about eligibility and how to apply. The application process can take time. It is important that you complete the application as soon as possible, to ensure that any funding is in place for the start of your course.

I've had permission to arrange a study needs assessment/top-up assessment. What do I do now?

Please see the Assessment Centre FAQs. We have an Assessment Centre at Nottingham Trent University and you should telephone +44 (0)115 848 3495 to organise an appointment. Alternatively, visit the DSA website to search for an Assessment Centre in the UK.

I need support in lectures. Who do I contact?

We would like to talk to you about the type of support you need. You should email or telephone +44 (0)115 848 2085, option 2.

What do I do if I can't attend a lecture or exams due to my disability?

You should contact your personal tutor or the School office. If you use a note taker, email the Disability Support Worker Scheme, text +44 (0)777 575 4443 or telephone +44 (0)115 848 4366.

What parking is available at NTU?

Parking at the City Campus is very limited. However, if you are a Blue Badge holder or need to bring your car to the University because of your medical condition, we may be able to provide a parking space. Parking is not guaranteed and will be allocated on a first come first served basis. For further information, please email

Accessibility. What's it like getting round campus?

  • The Clifton Campus is completely self-contained and compact. It slopes gently in places, but is generally accessible. If you need to move between campuses, there is a low-floor accessible bus service between the City Campus and Clifton Campus during term time.
  • Brackenhurst Campus is a rural campus with walkways, but some rough tracks.
  • The City Campus is on a slight slope.

We would strongly recommend you visit us and your campus before starting your course. We will be very happy to discuss your access needs.

My disability prevents me from attending university sometimes. What happens then?

  • Have you discussed this with a disability officer in advance so that we can inform your course team?
  • Out of courtesy, where possible, inform your subject administrator that you are unable to attend.
  • If you are already getting support from the Disability Support Worker Scheme (DSWS) and you cannot attend a teaching session, then you should contact the DSWS to let them know.

What is the University’s policy on assistance dogs?

Nottingham Trent University is committed to supporting disabled staff and students and making reasonable adjustments to enable engagement with work and study. Disabled staff and students whose access to work and study is facilitated by the use of mobility aids should not be refused entry on the basis of their disability or reliance on mobility / auxiliary aids, this includes fully trained assistance dogs* as an auxiliary aid to carry out specific tasks to enable an individual to access our services.

*We have a duty of care to all campus users, and to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our whole community. Therefore, given the current absence of a regulatory body of standards, we require all assistance dogs that are brought into our living and learning environment hold registration with Assistance Dogs UK and their affiliated member organisations.

What if I'm not happy with the service?

Please talk to your disability support officer or Disability Support administrator first. If you would then like to make a formal complaint, please write to the Student Support Services (Disability Services) Manager at the Student Services Centre at the City Campus.

  • Last updated: 05/12/2022