Health and wellbeing resources

See our list of useful health and wellbeing online resources. Find help with any issues you might be experiencing.

Need someone to talk to?

  • Call Samaritans. They provide confidential non-judgemental emotional support, 24 hours a day. They help with feelings of distress or despair. This includes those that could lead to suicide. You can call 116 123 (UK) to speak to someone, or send them an email.
  • Wellness in Mind Helpline. Call 0800 561 0073 between 9 am and midnight, 365 days a year.

Help with exam stress and academic issues

Mental health and personal issues

Alcohol and drugs

  • Synthetic Cannabinoids is an information film from Recovery in Nottingham. It covers issues emerging around the use of these drugs.
  • Affected by a parent or carer's drinking? The effect on you of a parent's drinking has no upper or lower age limit. Sometimes the problems only become clear in adulthood. These pages offer information and advice that we hope will help. You're not alone. National Association for Children of Alcoholics (NACOA) can help and support you.
  • The Nottingham Recovery Network provides a single point of free support, advice and treatment to people who use alcohol and drugs in a problematic way across Nottingham city. Please contact them to book an appointment.
  • Drinks tracker for iPhone. If you have an iPhone or Apple device, you can download the free NHS drinks tracker from the App Store. It allows you to keep a drink diary and get feedback on your drinking.
  • Alcoholics Anonymous provides support for people who wish to stop drinking.
  • FRANK provides friendly confidential drugs advice.
  • BAC-IN offers culturally specific guidance and education. It supports the African, Caribbean, South Asian, and dual-heritage communities. It's a peer-led service. It addresses and treats substance misuse and other related psychological and cultural issues.
  • Narcotics Anonymous provides support for drug users.
  • Compass gives information on minimising the harm substance misuse does to clients, carers and the community. This includes overdose prevention and reducing drug-related deaths. Compass is non-clinical service.
  • Al-Anon provides support to anyone whose life is, or has been, affected by someone else's drinking. We believe alcoholism affects the whole family, not just the drinker.
  • Down Your Drink is a self-help site for people concerned about their drinking.
  • Download a drugs and alcohol helpsheet.
  • Smokefree provide help to quit smoking.
  • The Wellbeing Hub offers support with mental health, drugs, alcohol, housing, and employment. Their advice is free and confidential. Contact them on 0800 0285 598 or by email.

Anger management

Anxiety and stress



  • Cruse provides support and information for those who have been bereaved.
  • Grief and bereavement factsheet
  • Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide exists to meet the needs and break the isolation of those bereaved by the suicide of a close relative or friend.
  • The Grief Line offers a dedicated service for those who need immediate support following bereavement. You can contact them on 0800 111 4451 and lines are open 8 am to 8 pm every day.
  • Hope supports those aged 11 to 25 who have a family member diagnosed with a life-threatening illness. This UK charity is unique in that it provides support from diagnosis and for however long they need. Call them on 01989 566317 or send them an email.
  • The NTU Chaplaincy can also support bereaved students. You can talk with someone experienced in helping people think about death. They can help you celebrate the life of a loved one at a time when it can be very painful. Sometimes it's helpful to talk to someone outside your family or friendship groups. They can support you in expressing your feelings in a safe environment. Please email us to arrange a convenient time for us to meet you.

Bullying and harassment

  • The Cybersmile Foundation is a multi-award-winning cyberbullying charity. It's committed to tackling all forms of online bullying and hate campaigns.
  • Harassment and / or bullying concerns? Dignity and Respect Contacts are available to both staff and students at NTU. They're specially trained members of staff from across the University. They provide support, information, and an impartial listening service. They support staff and students experiencing any form of harassment and / or bullying. They also support anyone responding to harassment and / or bullying complaints. To make an appointment, or just to talk to a Dignity and Respect Contact, email us or call 0115 848 6529.
  • Bullying — past and present helpsheet

Depression and low mood

Eating issues

  • Anorexia and Bulimia Care offers a professional, personal and caring service. Their team of staff has experience in eating disorders. They provide encouragement, advice, and support for all involved — sufferers and family members. They'll help make full recovery possible.
  • Beat is a UK charity for people with eating disorders and their families. Contact their support service.
  • Overeaters Anonymous provides self-help for anyone suffering from compulsive eating. This includes overeating, bulimia, anorexia, or obsession with food and weight. They use the 12-step spiritual programme of recovery first developed by Alcoholics Anonymous. View more information on finding a local meeting.
  • Eating disorders — signs and symptoms helpsheet
  • First Steps provides care and support for young people and adults affected by eating difficulties and disorders. They offer non-clinical early intervention and prevention services. These complement the NHS and public health in the community. You can book an appointment to discuss our one-to-one peer support, counselling, online email befriending, or group support. Get in touch by email or use their online self-referral form.
  • The new NHS eating disorder service is called FREED. Students can access the service via a referral from their GP.


  • Gamcare offers information and online support. They have a helpline, forum and chat room for people suffering because of a gambling problem.


Widening your social circle, meeting new people, making new friends

  • Needing to widen your social circle? Nottingham Inter-Varsity Club offers a variety of social, cultural, and sporting activities. It's friendly and informal.
  • Want to meet new people? Joining societies is a great way to meet new people with similar interests. It also gives you an excellent excuse to try something brand new. There are over 100 societies currently affiliated to Nottingham Trent Students’ Union. There's something for everyone, with new affiliations coming in all the time.
  • Want to make friends in Nottingham? Meetup is a great way of meeting people who share your interests


Self-harm and suicidal feelings

  • Need emotional support or information about what help is available locally? Call the Nottinghamshire Mental Health Helpline on 0300 500 0730. It's open from 9 am to 11 pm, 7 days a week.
  • Samaritans provide confidential non-judgemental emotional support, 24 hours a day. It's for people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including that could lead to suicide. You can call 116 123 (UK) to speak to someone, or send them an email.
  • National Self-Harm Network supports those who self-harm. It provides information, contacts and workshops on matters relating to this issue.
  • Harmless provide information support and counselling for individuals that self-harm with thoughts of suicide. Get in touch with them by email or call 0115 880 0280.
  • Worried about suicidal feelings? Mind's helplines can provide support and information on how to cope.
  • PAPYRUS is the UK national charity dedicated to the prevention of suicide and the promotion of positive mental health and emotional wellbeing in young people.
  • The Tomorrow Project provide short-term practical and emotional support. They offer a suicide crisis text support service when you text 0780 000 2606. They're available on Mondays from 1 pm to 4 pm; Wednesdays from 3 pm to 7 pm; and Fridays from 1 pm to 4 pm. They also offer dedicated support for those who've been exposed to suicide. Email them to get in touch.
  • Base 51 offers emotional health and wellbeing services for 11 to 25 year olds living in Nottingham City or County South. Visit their website for more information.
  • Kooth is a service for 10 to 25 year olds who want to anonymously talk to a mental health professional online. You can register for this service on their website.
  • Let's Talk Wellbeing and Trent PTS provide talking and psychological therapies. These can help with anxiety, depression, stress, trauma and other conditions.
  • SHOUT is a 24/7 UK crisis text service available for when you feel you need immediate support. Text SHOUT to 85285.
  • The Mix is a support service for children and young people under 25. The also offer information and resources on coronavirus.
  • Understanding self-harm helpsheet
  • The warning signs of suicide helpsheet
  • Stay Alive, a suicide prevention app, is available to download to your phone. Visit Grassroots for download links for both Apple and Android phones.

Sleeping badly?

Mental health organisations and self-help resources

  • Access workbooks for anxiety, depression, self-esteem, procrastination, perfectionism and more.
  • Mental Health Difficulties: A Guide to the Equality Act (EA) Word icon
  • Mental health apps – an NHS page full of apps. Many are free.
  • 100 Happy Days – an app to help you improve your mood.
  • The Wellbeing Hub provides free, confidential support and advice to people seeking support for mental health, drugs or alcohol use, housing and employment. Contact them on 0800 0285 598 or by email.
  • Wellness in Mind provides information, advice and support for anyone in Nottingham experiencing issues with their mental wellbeing. The service helps people understand mental health issues, and connects them to the services that may best support them. Call their information and advice helpline on 0800 561 0073. This number is open seven days a week from 9am until midnight.
  • Man Therapy – an Australian site taking a funny but serious look at issues concerning men.
  • Muslim Youth Helpline provides support to Muslim youth.
  • Support Towards Empowering People Service (STEPS). Up to one in four people will experience mental health problems at some point in their lives. It's vital that the right services are in place to support them. Language and other cultural barriers can make it a real challenge to find the right support. That's where STEPS comes in. It's aimed at Nottingham’s local black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) communities. The service is free.
  • All courses provided by the Nottingham Recovery College contribute towards wellbeing and recovery. People with experiences of mental or physical health challenges teach on the courses. The intention is to inspire hope and embody principles of recovery. Courses can include help with anger, anxiety and depression, and more.
  • Need information about help available in Nottingham? Nottinghamshire Help Yourself brings information and advice together in one central place. It makes it easy to find the information you need. It's a part between health sector, the voluntary sector, and Nottinghamshire County Council.
  • The Student Room is a place to get advice, laugh, chat, and debate with other students.
  • The Mix is the UK’s leading support service for young people. It helps you take on any challenge you’re facing, from mental health to money, from homelessness to finding a job, and from break-ups to drugs. Talk to us online, on social, or on our free and confidential helpline.
  • Mind is the leading mental health charity for England and Wales.
  • SANE is a leading UK mental health charity.
  • Rethink is the leading national mental health membership charity. It works to help everyone affected by severe mental illness recover a better quality of life.
  • Self-help guides produced by Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust.
  • Chinese Mental Health Association serves Chinese people with issues related to mental health.
  • Living Life to the Full is a range of educational life skills resources. They're based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) principles.
  • This NHS site will tell you all about common emotional and psychological problems. It'll give you some ideas on how best to tackle them using a CBT-based approach.
  • See Moodgym for online practical help with anxiety and depression. It's based on the principles of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT).
  • There are local self-help support groups for a wide variety of issues. You can contact them by telephone on 0115 911 1662.

Domestic violence, sexual abuse, forced marriage

  • Sexual violence support at NTU – NTU does not tolerate any forms of sexual violence. All students deserve the opportunity to study, learn, and live in an environment free of all forms of sexual abuse. If you, or someone you know, has experienced any form of sexual violence, now or in the past, we have dedicated trained Sexual Violence Liaison Officers who will offer support at your own pace.
  • Equation is a charity that promotes equal, healthy relationships free from domestic abuse. Equation exists to prevent and reduce the harm caused by domestic abuse and sexual violence in Nottingham city and Nottinghamshire.
  • Visit the Victim Support website.
  • Women's Aid is the national domestic violence charity. It helps up to 250,000 women and children every year. Go to Juno for a Nottingham-based service.
  • Men's Advice Line is a confidential helpline for men experiencing domestic violence. Get in touch by email or call freephone 0808 801 0327 Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5 pm.
  • Survivors UK offers support for men who have experienced childhood sexual abuse and or adult assault or rape.
  • Rape Crisis (England and Wales).
  • Nottinghamshire Sexual Violence Support Services was formerly known as Nottingham Rape Crisis. It supports survivors of sexual violence no matter when or how it happened. Get in touch by email or call their counselling helpline on 0115 941044.
  • Topaz Centre supports over-18 victims of rape and serious sexual assault in Nottinghamshire. It's committed to providing a sensitive and dedicated service. It operates through a partnership between the health service, police, and voluntary sector. You don't have to report to the police to access this service.
  • East Midlands Children and Young People’s Sexual Assault Service offers support for children and young people under 18.
  • The Survivors Trust has details of over 135 specialist rape, sexual violence and childhood sexual abuse support organisations.
  • The NSPCC has information and support specifically for adults who were abused in childhood. They can tell you how you can report concerns about current abuse of children.
  • National Association for People Abused in Childhood (NAPAC) provides support and information for adults who were abused in childhood.
  • Karma Nirvana supports victims and survivors of honour-based abuse and forced marriage.
  • Respect Not Fear is an organisation that provides help and support for people who may be in abusive relationships.
  • Galop offers support to people who've experienced biphobia, homophobia, transphobia, sexual violence or domestic abuse. Get in touch by email or call them on 0800 999 5428. Their LGBT+ Hate Crime Helpline is open Monday to Friday, 10 am to 4 pm, and can be reached on 020 7704 2040 or by email.
  • S.H.E. UK supports survivors of childhood sexual abuse. It offers drop-in sessions in Nottingham.
  • Juno Women's Aid is the largest domestic abuse organisation in Nottingham. They work with women, children, and teens affected by domestic abuse.
  • Survivors UK offers support for male childhood sexual abuse and rape.
  • Surviving Childhood Sexual Abuse helpsheet
  • The Muslim Women's Network UK (MWNUK) is for Muslim women and girls who are suffering, or are at risk of, abuse. They can assist with other problems too. You can reach their national helpline by calling 0800 999 5786.
  • Safer Living Foundation works with people distressed by their sexual thoughts, and who worry that those thoughts could cause harm if acted upon. If you're struggling with your sexual thoughts and would like support, you can self-refer by email or by calling  0115 848 4707. You can also go through the Safe Living Foundation website.

Please also consider contacting the police. If you're in danger, call 999.

Local NHS Services and independent counselling agencies

  • Let’s Talk — Wellbeing (Nottingham and Nottinghamshire) provides help for people with anxiety, depression, and other similar difficulties. You may use their services if you're registered with a doctor in Nottingham City or Nottinghamshire. They also accept self-referrals. For further information about their services, please call 0300 300 2200.
  • Insight Healthcare (Nottingham City) helps people with anxiety, depression and other similar difficulties. You may use their services if you're registered with a doctor in Nottingham City. For further information please telephone 0300 555 5582.
  • Trent PTS is an approved NHS provider of psychological therapies. They provide free, flexible, responsive and accessible high-quality psychological therapy services. There's no cost to you. They treat depression, anxiety, loss, grief, trauma, relationship problems, and many other conditions. Self-refer via the Trent PTS website.
  • Nottingham Urgent Care Centre offers a walk-in service. It's open 7 am to 9 pm, 365 days a year, including weekends and bank holidays. It's at Seaton House, London Road, Nottingham, NG2 4LA. Call them on 0115 883 8500.
  • GP+ Nottingham City allows patients registered at practices in Nottingham to access routine appointments during evenings and weekends. The service is based on Upper Parliament Street in the city centre. Opening hours are Monday to Friday 4 pm to 8pm, 9 am to 1 pm Saturday and Sunday. You can book an appointment through your normal GP reception.
  • If you're away from Nottingham and need NHS counselling or CBT, you can find an NHS psychological therapies service.
  • The University health centre pages also have information about support services provided by NTU.
  • Base 51 offers counselling for people up to the age of 25. Their address is 29-31 Castle Gate, Nottingham, NG1 7AR. Call 0115 952 5040 between 9.30 am and 7.30 pm to get in touch.
  • Counselling Xtra is available by telephone on 0115 960 5577.
  • Nottingham Counselling Service is available by telephone on 0115 950 1743.
  • Nottingham Women's Centre is committed to supporting the wellbeing of women across Nottinghamshire. This includes their mental health and wellbeing. They offer professional, low-cost, one-to-one and group counselling to women over 18. To refer yourself, complete the online form and choose an available appointment time. You can also call 0115 9411475, or visit the centre to book an appointment.
  • Incest and Sexual Abuse Survivors (ISAS) provides face-to-face, telephone and group counselling services. It supports adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse, their partners, and family members. These services are available throughout the county of Nottinghamshire. ISAS is a registered charity and you can call them on 0115 8240314.
  • Harmless provides information, support and counselling for people who self-harm with thoughts of suicide.
  • Kooth is a free face-to-face counselling service. It's available to young people aged from 10 to 24 who live in Nottingham city. Access in-person counselling by registering online and making a self-referral. Kooth also offers online support from trained counsellors.
  • CASY provides a confidential counselling service to young people aged from 6 to 25 in Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire. Get in touch by email or call 01636 704 620.
  • Finding a counsellor in your home area helpsheet

Caring for others?

  • The Carers Federation is dedicated to supporting unpaid carers of all ages and the people they look after.


  • If you discover that you're pregnant while at university, there'll be lots for you to think about. Find out about outlines the financial considerations and the impact on student finance entitlement for full-time UK home undergraduate students.
  • Crossway provides post-abortion support. You can call their helpline on 020 8892 8483.
  • Talk it Over is a confidential pregnancy options and loss support service. Get in touch by email or call 07867 47058.
  • Pregnancy Choices Directory offers unbiased pregnancy and abortion counselling.
  • Family Planning Association (FPA)
  • ARC provides non-directive support and information to parents before, during, and after prenatal testing.


  • Gingerbread provides expert advice and practical support for single parents. It campaigns for them too.
  • The Families Information Service provides free information, advice and guidance about organisations and services for children, young people and their families living in Nottingham City. This includes details of:
    • all Ofsted-registered childcare providers
    • children's centres
    • family support
    • education, including special educational needs
    • other specialist services.

Sexual identity, relationships and sexual health

  • NTU Pride is Nottingham Trent University's Pride Society. This LGBT+ group supports, represents and welcomes people of many differing sexual orientations and identities.
  • Nottingham Women's Centre aims to offer a safe environment for all women to come together to gain confidence; develop skills; take part in training; get support; and organise groups, activities and services.
  • Relate provides help with relationship issues, and includes useful and informative self-help fact sheets.
  • Stonewall works for acceptance without exception for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.
  • Notts LGBT+ Network provides information and support for lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, and trans people.
  • Terrence Higgins Trust is a charity at the forefront of the fight against HIV and AIDs.
  • The National AIDS Trust provides useful information about AIDS and HIV.
  • Relationships helpsheet
  • Gendered Intelligence – understanding gender diversity in creative ways.
  • Press for Change are the UK's leading experts in transgender law.
  • Gender Identity Research and Education Society provides information for trans people, their families, and the professionals who care for them.
  • The transgender helpline is operated by MindLine Trans+. It's a safe place to talk about your feelings confidentially. They don’t record calls, nor ask for any personal details. Their listeners will understand the multitude of feelings and concerns you may have. Their volunteers have lived Trans+ experience or are allies. The helpline is open two evenings a week – Mondays and Fridays, from 8 pm to midnight. Call them on 0300 330 5468.
  • POW has supported sex workers in Nottingham for 30 years. It's a peer-founded support charity. POW has a separate project specifically for people under 25 and students who are involved in the adult entertainment industry. You can also find them on Instagram.
  • Last updated: 09/05/2022