Get support or make a complaint

The University provides help, support and guidance for issues you're facing, including harassment or discrimination, concerns about our services, making a complaint about your learning, or submitting an academic appeal.

PATHway drop-in service

Speak to a member of the Student Support team about your study or personal difficulties. You can drop-in and have a face-to-face chat, or make an appointment on MS Teams.

Our team can help with a range of difficulties. They offer practical advice and information on study and personal issues, or help you access the right specialised support service for you.

Find more information on PATHway drop-in services

Specialist mental health and wellbeing support

Help and support is available for personal, emotional, or mental health difficulties.

You can get support for yourself, or for another student if you're worried about them.

Student Support Advisers

If you need help to get back on track with your students as a result of your personal circumstances, our Student Support Advisers can help. You can refer yourself, or someone else who needs support as long as you have their consent first. The advisers will offer advice and signposting, and can also put you in touch with other relevant teams if you need to take time out or are thinking of leaving NTU.

You can also find more health and wellbeing resources.

Speak to a student about an issue you're facing

If you've been the victim of discrimination, you can get advice and guidance from your peers. Fellow students who've faced similar experiences, problems or conditions will support you. They'll signposting you to relevant support services.

Our Peer Support Scheme is a free service. It'll help you navigate NTU’s policies and procedures and address some of the issues.

Independent advice and support

The Nottingham Trent Students' Union (NTSU) is available to support you. They can offer free, confidential and independent advice representation with issues such as:

  • academic misconduct
  • academic appeals procedures
  • complaints against the University
  • disciplinary proceedings.

The NTSU can also offer guidance in other areas, including money, housing and mental health.

You might be thinking about making a complaint or submitting a report. If so, the NTSU Information and Advice Service can provide free independent advice.

Find out more about the service and arrange a meeting.

Report bullying, harassment, discrimination, hate incidents, sexual misconduct or assault

The University expects all students to adhere to the Student Code of Behaviour on and off campus and for all staff to adhere to University policies and procedures.

If you have experienced, or have observed, student or staff behaviour that breaches these policies and procedures, you can report it either anonymously or with contact details. If you make a report with contact details, an adviser will be in touch to offer support, guidance and agree next steps.

Reports may include:

  • Sexual misconduct or assault
    Our team of trained Sexual Violence officers can offer you confidential support, with incidents that have happened now or in the past.
  • Bullying and harassment
  • Hate Incident or discrimination based on a protected characteristic, including age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.

You may be thinking about making a complaint or submitting a report. If so, you can contact the NTSU Information and Advice Service who provide a free independent advice service.

Alternatively, you can view our support articles on Report + Support, for advice and guidance.

Report an incident

Report another student for unacceptable behaviour

Reports related to sexual misconduct, bullying, harassment, discrimination and hate incidents should be made via Report + Support.

Other forms of behaviour that pose a risk to the security, health or wellbeing of others, can be reported through our Student Code of Behaviour form. This includes (but is not limited to):

  • possession or use of offensive weapons
  • possession or dealing of illegal substances
  • noise or nuisance behaviour
  • theft
  • damage to property.

Request an extension if your studies are being affected by issues outside of your control

Sometimes circumstances beyond your control affect your studies. A Notification of Extenuating Circumstance (NEC) allows you to inform the University. You can then and seek guidance and support.

If your NEC is upheld, the University may grant you an extension for your assessment. We may also allow you to attempt the assessment at the next assessment point.

Find out more about NECs.

Make a complaint about your learning experience or our professional services

NTU commits to providing high-quality education and services to all students. You can make a report to the University if you:

  • are unhappy with your course, our facilities, or the support provided to you
  • feel the quality of our teaching doesn't meet your expectations.

Find out more about making a complaint.

You can tell us about alleged inappropriate behaviour of NTU staff through Report + Support, either with your contact details or anonymously. This includes allegations of sexual misconduct, discrimination, bullying, harassment and hate incidents. We encourage you to provide your contact details as we cannot investigate a complaint or support you unless we have your contact details.

You can contact the NTSU Information and Advice Service, who can provide free independent advice.

Concerns about your assignment result

You may have some concerns about an assessment result or grade. If so, speak to your Academic School in the first instance.

If you remain unsatisfied, you may submit a Request for Reconsideration (R4R). Your must feel you meet one or more of the grounds for reconsideration.

Find out more about academic appeals.

A report has been made about me

It can be distressing if you have been accused of bullying, harassment, or sexual misconduct. The University will not make assumptions about who is ‘at fault’ until an allegation has been investigated. All those involved will be treated fairly and offered advice and support. For more information, visit Report + Support.

  • Last updated: 15/08/2023