Support for care leavers and care experienced students

If you have spent time in foster care, residential care, or arrangements outside of family, we can provide practical advice, information and support.

Practical and wellbeing support

Our team of Student Support Advisers (SSAs) are a key point of contact for students who identify as:

  • care leavers
  • care experienced.

Our SSA’s can:

  • provide information and signposting
  • coordinate support
  • deliver support on a range of wellbeing, practical and study-related issue.

We'll invite students who are eligible for the NTU Care Leaver and Foyer Resident Bursary to a transition support meeting.

Students, or third parties acting with the consent of a student, can get support using our short support request form.

For general enquiries, email the SSA team.

Arranging accommodation

Our SSAs can help you arrange accommodation in our halls of residence over the summer. If you'd like this support, complete our short support request form.

You can choose to return to our halls of residence in your second and final years. Find out more about about NTU accommodation.


Care leavers have dedicated specialists within the employability team and are a target group for a range of support as part of NTU Employability’s Rise initiative.

Support includes:

  • The Rise work experience fund supports students to take unpaid work experience up to 4 weeks.
  • The Rise progression fund, to supports interview and assessment costs for final year students.
  • The Rise sandwich placement bursary supports students on their sandwich placement.
  • A 2-day placement support programme for second year undergraduates to boost confidence and resilience in seeking and securing placement opportunities.
  • Dedicated communications to Rise students to maximise engagement with the opportunities and support available.

Financial support

NTU Care Leavers and Foyer Resident Bursary

The University will be awarding an NTU Care Leaver Bursary of £1000 to help towards living costs to eligible students enrolled on a full-time undergraduate degree or foundation degree course commencing in 2021.

To be eligible, from the age of 16 you will have at some point been either:

  • in the care of a local authority in the UK
  • looked after by relatives who have a court order to look after you in the UK
  • a Foyer resident in the UK.

You will also need to be under 25 on 1 September 2021.

Applications are now open, please email care leavers bursary for a link to the application form and guidance notes.

The NTU Care Leaver and Foyer Resident Bursary will be available for each year of full-time study, subject to meeting the terms and conditions.

If you're eligible for the bursary we'll arrange a session with financial support adviser. Advisers will check you’re receiving all the funding you’re entitled to and can offer advice on budgeting and money management.

Money management workshops

Join our Managing Money Workshop and learn how to budget at university.

Find out more about financial support or email the financial support team.

Further information

You can get more information from organisations and charities proving advice and support.

The Care Leavers Association

A national user led charity aimed at improving the lives of care leavers of all ages including a quick guide to rights and entitlements.

The Care Leavers Association website


A national charity for children in care and young care leavers.

Become website

  • Last updated: 15/09/2021