We have a policy of equal access, and we encourage all students to consider studying abroad. Where possible, we work with partner institutions to find programmes accessible to everyone.

Resources and support

Find out more information about the resources and support available to you:

Students with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)

We have the following advice to help you get started if:

  • you have a special educational need or disability, and
  • you're interested in studying or working abroad.

Who to contact

If you want to study abroad, contact:

They'll be able to discuss your options. Get in touch with them at the earliest opportunity. That gives us the most time to check your choice of universities can put adequate support in place for you. We may need to share information about your disability with the partner institution. This will help them to make the appropriate reasonable adjustments. It's best to communicate your needs early in the process. This will help you get support and guidance to make the right decisions for you.

Email NTU Global to contact our central Study Abroad team. They're also here to help you. They can give more information on the funding available to accommodate your needs.

Working whilst studying abroad

You may want to do a period of work abroad. This can be as well as, or instead of, studying abroad. If so, contact our Employability team.

Things to think about

Cultures differ around the world. That includes the perceptions of disability, and the accommodations made for it. Learn about what types of accommodation are typically provided in your host country. Be flexible and open to different ways of accommodating your disability. Some of the questions you might consider include:

  • What is the contact information for disabilities services organizations in your host country?
  • What mobile apps or other tools could help you abroad?
  • Are your medications legal in your host country, and in other countries you may travel in or through?
  • Are the same accommodations you receive at NTU available to you abroad?
  • Will you have the same access to medication and physical or mental health services abroad?
  • Will your housing accommodate your needs?
  • What solutions can you plan now to manage new challenges you may face abroad?

Before you go

Before you go, learn as much as you can about your host culture and how they view disability. Read, talk to other students, and attend pre-departure orientation sessions. The more you know, the better. Prepare for the interaction between your disability and the new environment.

Extra financial support for SEND students

If you're a student with SEND, the Turing Scheme can fund your support. It will cover up to 100% of the actual costs of support directly related to your additional needs. This is in line with what the 2014 to 2020 Erasmus+ programme provided. Read more about the grant rates available through the Turing Scheme.

Unlike Erasmus+, Turing Scheme funding also covers preparatory visits by the sending organisation. This allows it to carry out risk assessments. These help ensure you can equally access and take part in all elements of a placement. Pre-visits can be for a maximum duration of three days. The funding can be used for both learners and accompanying staff. Pre-visits are not available for any other purpose.

The term SEND refers to learners with special educational needs (SEN). This includes those:

  • who are in receipt of Disabled Student Allowance, or
  • whose SEN arise because they have a long-term disability.

This disability must affect your ability to perform normal everyday tasks. The effect must be both substantial and long-term. This includes learners who identify as having:

  • a disability
  • special needs
  • a medical condition.

We categorise these as:

  • social or communication impairment such as Asperger's syndrome or other autistic spectrum disorder
  • blindness, or a serious visual impairment uncorrected by glasses
  • deafness or serious hearing impairment
  • a long-standing illness or health condition such as:
    • cancer
    • HIV
    • diabetes
    • chronic heart disease
    • epilepsy
  • a mental health condition, such as depression, schizophrenia or anxiety disorder
  • a specific learning difficulty, such as dyslexia, dyspraxia or AD(H)D
  • physical impairments or mobility issues, such as:
    • difficulty using limbs
    • using a wheelchair or crutches
  • a disability, impairment or medical condition that is not listed above.

You may not meet the criteria for extra support as detailed above. However, you may still be able to get a grant to cover some of your travel expenses. To find out more, visit:

Extra resources for SEND students

Visit InclusiveMobility.EU for information on the accessibility of university facilities in Europe.

These external sites also have useful advice for SEND students considering study abroad.

  • Last updated: 18/08/2023