Physical, sensory and long term health conditions

The Disability Support Service offers advice and information for individual current and prospective disabled students on the types of support available.

Your disability officer

We have a dedicated disability officer for each school. They will be your main point of contact in the disability team and can support you to liaise with academic schools, services and outside agencies, and help to coordinate any additional requirements you may have.

If you have not declared any disability to the university either through application or enrolment, you may have missed out on support you could be eligible for. You can refer yourself into our service at any time by completing this short form.

Disability ffficers run weekly advice sessions that you can book into if you have any questions about your support at NTU.

Advice Sessions

If you have a physical, sensory or long-term medical conditions, we offer advice sessions throughout term-time.

Our services include:

  • support with applying for the Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)
  • Access statements and exam arrangements
  • timetabling support
  • accessibility
  • library support
  • advice on any special grants for which you may be eligible
  • advice on funding for support with day-to-day living needs (this can include any personal care or help you may require)
  • Accessibility on campus

Book an advice session with your disability officer.

Access statements and exam arrangements

Your access statement details any reasonable adjustment that we have recommended for you to support your studies and will be shared with your academic school and the exams team at NTU. Visit our webpage about access statements to find out more information.

Your disability officer can set up an access statement for you in an advice session if you have evidence of your diagnosis or referral for a diagnosis. Please book an advice session to set up your access statement and send in your evidence of a diagnosis.

If you do not have, or can not find evidence of your diagnosis, you can use this form to take to the doctors for them to complete.

Please be aware that if we have not had your medical evidence by the end of January, you may not get your arrangements put in place for the end of year exams.

DSA funded support

If you require any additional support that is not covered by an access statement, this support will be recommended and funded through the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA).

Disabled Students' Allowances can cover the costs of:

  • equipment (for example, assistive software)
  • non-medical support workers (for example, notetakers, BSL interpreters and mentors)
  • general allowances (for example, extra costs of books and photocopying)
  • a travel allowance for people who cannot use public transport or have mobility difficulties

Disabled Students' Allowance will not cover any personal care or living support. This will need to be applied for separately.

Personal care and living support

Going to university may mean you have to reassess your personal assistance arrangements, especially if you normally receive help with mobility and everyday tasks from family members. However, local authority social services should provide you with the support you need.

Accommodation for personal carers

If you require daily or 24-hour personal care, we can provide a room for your personal carer under the same terms and conditions as other residents. You will need to ensure the cost of the carer’s room can be met. You may be able to access funding through your local authority personal budget if you have one. Visit our accommodation pages for more information and to contact the accommodation team.

Paying for your personal support

You can choose to have direct payments to buy services that meet your assessed needs instead of receiving services directly provided by social services.

Student Experience

If you are unsure about getting in touch with the team, please read some of our student blogs, showing how getting the right support in place has helped them with their studies. You can also visit our information pages for more details about the support available to you.


Am I a disabled student?

You are a disabled student if you have a long-term medical condition or impairment. This could be:

  • physical (for example, a restricted mobility)
  • a hearing impairment
  • a visual impairment
  • a medical condition such as diabetes, epilepsy, fibromyalgia, for example
  • undergoing treatment, for example for cancer or leukaemia
  • any condition which has lasted, or is likely to last, 12 months or more and impacts on your studies

Should I visit or attend an open day?

Yes, this is your opportunity for you to visit us and discuss your requirements. An early visit allows us to assess your needs and support you to apply for funding to ensure a successful start to your university experience. If you need specific support for a visit to NTU, for instance, information in different formats, or the services of a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter you can email us in advance of your visit.

Do I have to pay for my support?

If you have support needs, you can apply for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA). This is an important source of funding that disabled students, including those with mental health difficulties and specific learning difficulties, may be entitled to receive. DSA can cover the costs of additional needs associated with being at university. It is not means-tested and it does not have to be repaid once you have completed your course.

What are Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA)?

DSAs are a vital source of support for disabled students. This funding is administered by Student Finance England or relevant funding bodies in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. DSA can cover the costs of additional needs associated with being at university. This funding is not means-tested and it does not have to be repaid once you have completed your course.

Disabled Students' Allowances can cover the costs of:

  • equipment (for example, assistive software)
  • non-medical support workers (for example, notetakers, BSL interpreters and mentors)
  • general allowances (for example, extra costs of books and photocopying)
  • a travel allowance for people who cannot use public transport or have mobility difficulties

How do I apply for DSA?

Visit the Directgov website for information about eligibility and how to apply. The application process can take time. It is important that you complete the application as soon as possible, to ensure that any funding is in place for the start of your course.

I've had permission to arrange a study needs assessment/top-up assessment. What do I do now?

Please see the assessment centre FAQs. We have an assessment centre at NTU and you should telephone +44 (0)115 848 3495 to organise an appointment. Alternatively, visit the DSA website to search for an assessment centre in the UK.

What parking is available at NTU?

Free Parking

Free parking at NTU is for Blue Badge holders only. There are accessible parking spaces available to blue badge holders on all campuses. All of our accessible parking spaces can be found here:

Please contact the car parking team to request accessible parking access for all campuses to be added to your student card.

Parking Permits

Our parking permit scheme ensures the students with the greatest need are able to park on campus. These include:

  • students who travel to campus from further than NG14
  • students who live in the greater Nottingham area, but who have a real need to bring their vehicle to campus
  • students with extenuating circumstances.

There are a limited number of permits which are sold on a first come first served basis from the NTU Online Shop from the first week in September. Parking on any campus is not guaranteed and will be allocated on a first come first served basis.

For further information, please contact the relevant NTU parking team:


Mansfield Campus

Parking is free at University Centre at Vision West Notts (VWN) for NTU students. NTU parking is shared with VWN staff and students.

What is it like getting around campus in terms of accessibility?

  • The Clifton Campus is completely self-contained and compact. It slopes gently in places, but is generally accessible. If you need to move between campuses, there is a low-floor accessible bus service between the City Campus and Clifton Campus during term time.
  • Brackenhurst Campus is a rural campus with walkways, but some rough tracks.
  • The City Campus is on a slight slope.

We would strongly recommend you visit us and your campus before starting your course. We will be very happy to discuss your access needs.

How do I find out about accessible accommodation?

Visit our webpage to find out about accessibility in our university halls of residences halls.

My disability prevents me from attending university sometimes. What do I need to do if this happens?

  • Have you discussed this with a disability officer in advance so that we can inform your course team?
  • Out of courtesy, where possible, inform your subject administrator that you are unable to attend.
  • If you are already getting support from the Disability Support Worker Scheme (notetakers) and you cannot attend a teaching session, then you should email them to let them know.
  • If you are receiving DSA funded electronic notetaking or BSL support then you need to let your supplier know as soon as you can.

What is NTU’s policy on assistance dogs?

NTU is committed to supporting disabled staff and students and making reasonable adjustments to enable engagement with work and study. Disabled staff and students whose access to work and study is facilitated by the use of mobility aids should not be refused entry on the basis of their disability or reliance on mobility or auxiliary aids. This includes fully trained assistance dogs* as an auxiliary aid to carry out specific tasks to enable an individual to access our services.

*We have a duty of care to all campus users, and to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our whole community. Therefore, given the current absence of a regulatory body of standards, we require all assistance dogs that are brought into our living and learning environment hold registration with Assistance Dogs UK and their affiliated member organisations.

How to find us



Refer yourself into service

Book an advice session

  • Last updated: 12/05/2023