Making your Student visa application

Find out about how to apply for your Student visa.

Step-by-step guide

Please read our step-by-step guide for information on how to make your Student visa application.

1. Check when and where I can apply

You'll need to make your Student visa application overseas if:

  • your visa expires 29 days or more before the start of your course at NTU
  • you've changed courses and need extra time to complete your current course
  • your course dates have changed (e.g. due to coursework deadline extensions).

You can make your Student visa application in the UK or overseas if:

  • your visa expires 28 days or less before the start of your course at NTU
  • your visa expires after the start date of your course at NTU.

You should also be eligible to make your Student visa application from the UK if you:

  • are a PhD student extending your Student visa to complete your current course
  • are required to resit an exam or repeat a course module with full-time attendance
  • have already repeated parts of your course and need extra time on your visa to complete the rest of your course
  • are applying to extend your visa so you can take part in a study abroad programme or go on a work placement
  • have been on a study abroad programme or work placement and need time to finish your course.

Continuing students who are required to make their visa application from overseas must show evidence of this. Examples of evidence that you've returned overseas include:

  • flight booking confirmation
  • boarding pass.

If you make your visa application in the UK and are refused on that basis, you won't be issued a further CAS.

You can make your Student visa application a maximum of six months before your course start date. The earliest your visa can start is one month before your course start date.

COVID-19: The pandemic means you might not be able to return to your home country before your visa expires. If so, contact the International Student Support Team immediately for further advice.

Read the UKCISA guidance. You should also stay informed of any travel restrictions to your home country.

2. Check what documents you need

All students need the following.

  • A completed online Student visa application form.
  • A CAS from NTU.
  • Evidence of funds to pay their tuition fees and living costs (e.g. bank statements or a sponsorship letter). This is unless they are exempt from meeting the maintenance requirement. See the next section.
  • Their passport.
  • Certificates and / or transcripts from previous courses. See the 'evidence used to obtain offer' section of your CAS.

Some students will also need:

  • police registration certificate
  • your UK Biometric Residence Permit
  • ATAS Certificate
  • if they are 16 or 17, a consent letter from their parents and evidence of their relationship
  • birth certificate and consent letter from parents, if using parents’ financial evidence
  • Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance Certificate. See the UKVI website for the full list of countries where this requirement applies.

Any documents not in English must be accompanied by a professional translation.

3. Prepare your financial evidence

If you're applying to start a new course:

  • £9,207 (living costs), plus any outstanding course fees for the first year of your course as shown on your CAS.

If you're applying so you can continue your current course:

  • £1,023 per month left on the course (up to a maximum of £9,207), plus any outstanding course fees showing on your CAS.

You must show that you've saved the required funds. You must have them for a period of at least 28 days before the date of your visa application. The date of your application is the date you paid your visa application fee. It is not the date of your appointment at the visa application centre.

Please note that you don't need to meet the financial requirement if:

  • you're applying from within the UK, and
  • you've been living in the UK for 12 months or more when you apply.

This also applies to your dependants.

4. Pay your visa fee and submit your application

I am applying from outside the UK:

I am applying from inside the UK:

You must submit your application online and pay the fee before your current visa expires.

5. Book and attend an appointment

For applications made outside the UK:

  • The appointment will be at a visa application centre.
  • This may be in a different country to where you normally live.
  • See the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website. There you'll find details of your local visa application centre.

For applications made in the UK:

  • See the UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) website. There you'll find the latest information about appointments.
  • Please note that appointment booking in the UK is currently by UKVI request only.
  • Register an account on the UKVCAS website. UKVI will contact you directly if you need to have an appointment.
  • Alternatively, you will be asked to use an app to upload your visa documents.
  • Remember to check your email regularly for updates.

When you apply, you'll be told:

  • if you need to bring anything to your appointment, and
  • whether you need to upload any documents before your appointment.

During the appointment, you'll need to enrol your fingerprints and facial image. This is known as 'biometric information'.

You may be required to attend a 'credibility interview'.  This will last approximately five minutes. They'll ask you questions about:

  • your course
  • where you'll be studying
  • your reasons for choosing this course
  • your funding arrangements
  • your plans for the future after completing your course.

See our section on credibility interviews for further information.

6. Get the results of your application

If your application has been successful, check the details on your visa are correct.

If you're coming for more than six months, you will need to collect your BRP upon arrival.

If your visa application is not successful, please contact us.

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

This information is for students coming to the UK for six months or more on a Student visa.

There are two stages to the process:

  1. You'll be issued with a vignette (sticker) in your passport. This will be valid to travel to the UK within 90 days only. It will be accompanied by a letter with instructions about the second stage.
  2. Within ten days of arriving in the UK, you will be required to collect a BRP. Please note the collection timescales are temporarily suspended. This is due to the ongoing disruption caused by the pandemic.

Requesting collection of your BRP from NTU

NTU students and their dependants may collect their BRP from NTU City Campus. We recommend you choose this option.

When completing your Student visa application online, you must enter a UK postcode. You should use your Nottingham address if you know it. If not, enter the NTU postcode – NG1 4FQ. This will identify a local Post Office where you should collect your BRP. Please note the collection timescales are temporarily suspended. this is due to the ongoing disruption caused by the pandemic.

To have your BRP delivered to NTU, enter the code 2HE392 in the 'Alternative Location' field. When you press 'Find', the NTU address will appear.

Please note that this option is only available to NTU students and their dependants.

Collecting your BRP from NTU

You can collect your BRP from the City Campus. Academic Registry staff will email you when your BRP is delivered to the University. You'll then be able to arrange a date and time for you to come in and collect it. Make sure you have an appointment before visiting Academic Registry to pick up your BRP.

In order to collect your BRP, please make sure you bring the following documents with you:

  • your passport
  • your visa decision letter from UKVI.

Email if you have any queries about the collection of your BRP.

Collecting your BRP from a Post Office

If collecting your BRP from a local Post Office, make sure you take the following documents with you:

  • your passport
  • your visa decision letter from UKVI
  • your full address in Nottingham, including your postcode.

Problems or errors on your BRP

Please check your BRP carefully. If you see any errors, or have difficultly collecting your BRP, please contact us.

Using your BRP

You will need your BRP:

  • when re-entering the UK if you leave (e.g. to go on holiday)
  • to open a bank account
  • to show you're lawfully in the UK (e.g. to rent a property)
  • to demonstrate you're entitled to part-time work (e.g. to show your employer).

Lost BRPs

If you lose your BRP, please check how to report this and apply for a replacement. If you need further advice, contact us.

Credibility interviews

As part of the visa application process, you may be asked to attend a credibility interview via Skype. These interviews ensure only genuine students get permission to come to the UK to study. The answers you give will influence the outcome of your visa application.

Where will the credibility interview take place?

If you apply outside the UK:

  • the interview will take place at the visa application centre using Skype
  • it will be at the same time as you provide your biometrics
  • you'll receive an email giving you all the details.

If you apply from within the UK:

  • you'll get a letter or an email with details of the interview
  • the letter will tell you where you where you need to go
  • you may have to travel to another city.

Who will interview me?

The interviews are conducted by a member of UKVI staff, usually by video link or Skype. The interviews are always conducted in English. It's very important that you attend the interview at the appointed date and time. Failure to do so is likely to result in your visa application being refused.

What will I be asked about?

We've put together some guidance to help you prepare. You'll need to carry out further research of your own, and think about your personal situation. You need to give specific and detailed answers. If your answers are incomplete or vague, the interviewer won't ask further questions. It's your responsibility to give the most comprehensive answers you can.

Education history, study and post-study plans

Questions you might be asked

How you can prepare

Why did you choose NTU?

Why did you choose to study in the UK?

Did you consider any other universities?

Why did you choose to study in the UK?

Did you consider any other universities?

Find out more about NTU on our website.

Think about what attracts you to study at NTU compared to other UK and global universities.

Why did you choose your course?

Research your course. What modules does it include? Does it include a work placement? What are the future employment prospects? Which campus is your course based at?

What do you know about NTU/Nottingham/the campus you are studying at?

Speak to our representatives in your country if possible.

Read the Starting at NTU webpages.

What was the last course you studied and when?

How does your course choice fit with your previous study?

What are your future plans, work/study and how does your course relate to that?

Think about your personal situation, your previous studies and your career aspirations.

How does this new course at NTU fit into this? (Your plans can change in the future, but you'll need to show you've thought about it.)

Financial circumstances

Questions you might be asked

How you can prepare

How much are your tuition fees?

Your CAS will state how much your tuition fees are and how much you have paid already. You can find more information about tuition fees and fee payment arrangements here.

Who will be responsible for paying your tuition fees and living expenses?

How do they plan to finance it? e.g. through work or savings, or by some other means.

You need to provide suitable financial evidence as part of the visa application.

Find further information on our 'Financial evidence for Student visa application' section.

Be ready to give further information about:

  • your income
  • your parents' income
  • other financial obligations, eg other dependent children at home or university etc.

Where are you going to be living in Nottingham?

How much will your accommodation fees be?

Who will you live with?

Will your accommodation be on or off campus?

How will you travel to your campus, and how much will this cost?

Our managing your money pages give information on budgeting and day-to-day costs

Our accommodation pages give information on NTU and private-sector accommodation.

Personal circumstances

Questions you might be asked

How you can prepare

Do you have family in the UK?

Are you bringing dependants to the UK with you?

UKVI will be looking to determine that your main purpose of coming to the UK is for your studies.

If your main purpose is something else, you should look for a more appropriate visa category. Examples include joining family members in the UK, or for dependants to work, etc.

Visa application checking service

Trained advisers will review your application form and documents. They'll check that they meet the UKVI requirements.

If you wish to use this service, you will need to submit your application and your documents to us by email. An adviser will check the application and contact you by email. They'll give you some feedback on your application. They'll also offer guidance about what to do next to complete the application process.

Visa application fees

Visa application fees are non-refundable. This applies if:

  • your application is refused
  • your mind and withdraw your application
  • you do not use your visa.

Outside the UK standard application

  • £348 payable in local currency, plus the immigration health surcharge. Priority and super-priority visa services are available at an extra cost. Check your local application centre website for details.

Inside the UK Standard application

  • 475 application fee, plus the immigration health surcharge. There is an extra £19.20 biometric enrolment fee if required.

Please note the fee is charged per person included in the application. If you have dependants, multiply the fee by the number of people included.

You may be charged for the biometric appointment for your application if you're asked to book it in the UK. This depends on the timings and locations. Please check the UKVCAS website for further information.

Immigration health surcharge

The Immigration Health Surcharge is a fee for using the National Health Service (NHS). It is payable in addition to your Student visa application fee.

You'll be directed to the payment page before you pay your visa application fee.

Once you've made the payment, a reference number will be generated. This will appear on your visa application cover sheet.

The fee is calculated according to the length of visa you are applying for. This includes the extra time at the end of your course. The fee is £470 per person per year, plus £235 per part year.

You can use the Immigration Surcharge Tool on the Home Office website to check how much you will have to pay.

You are exempt from the Immigration Health Surcharge if you are:

  • applying to come to the UK (entry clearance application) for six months or less.


Applying from outside the UK

If you have family members and you want them to join you in the UK while you study, you must check they are eligible to do so.

Your dependants are:

  • your husband or wife
  • your children under the age of 18.

Be aware that the rules may have changed since your last application. See the UKCISA guidance to find out if you are able to bring family members with you to the UK.

Each eligible family member will need to apply for an Entry Clearance visa to come to the UK. The UKVI website has guidance about:

  • supporting documents
  • the maintenance requirement for family members
  • information about how to apply from overseas.

Applying from inside the UK

Your family member (husband, wife or child) must be entitled to remain the UK as your dependant. Check this carefully before you submit your application.

Be aware that the rules may have changed since you made your last application. The UKCISA website provides useful information on dependants' eligibility and application criteria.

If they're eligible to apply in the UK, your dependants can be included in the Student application.

See our guidance note if you're making a Student dependant visa application in the UK.

If you need advice about the requirements for dependants, please contact us.

Differential evidence requirement

If you are a national of a country listed under section ST22.1 of the Appendix Student:

  • you don't have to give evidence of your qualifications or finances when you apply
  • you must ensure you meet all the requirements when making your application
  • you may be requested to submit evidence at a later stage.
  • Last updated: 07/04/2021