Support for students who are estranged from their families

At NTU, we appreciate that it can be a daunting time coming to the University without the support of a family network. If you are an estranged student, we can offer you targeted support to help you succeed during your time at University.

Support for estranged students

In higher education, we use the term 'estranged student' to describe people who are:

  • under 25 years old, and
  • studying without the support of their family, and
  • have no contact with their parents or legal guardians. This sometimes extends to their wider family.

To help us to identify you as an estranged student, we rely on you providing us with this information. You can do this by completing this short online form. Our Student Support Advisers will then get in touch and let you know what support we can offer you. You can do this at any time from when you apply to NTU. If you have any questions about estrangement, contact our Student Support Advisers.

Practical and wellbeing support

Our Student Support Advisers (SSAs) have knowledge and experience of supporting students who are estranged from their families. Our team's support focuses on limiting any impact that student's estrangement might have:

  • on their university experience
  • on the outcome of their studies.

Any student, or a third party acting with the student's consent, can ask for help using our referral form.

Arranging accommodation

Our SSAs can help you to arrange accommodation in our halls of residence over the summer. If you'd like this support, complete our short referral form support request form.

You can also choose to return to halls in your second and final years. Find out more about NTU accommodation.

Financial support and advice

You may be eligible to receive the NTU Estranged Student Bursary. Find out more about eligibility and how to apply.

You many be able to apply to NTU's Discretionary Hardship Fund if you:

  • are experiencing financial hardship
  • identify as estranged
  • do not qualify for independent status on the grounds of estrangement.

Money management workshops

Join our Managing Money Workshop and learn how to budget at university.

Find out more about financial support or email the financial support team.

Careers and placement support

Estranged students have a specialist contact within the Employability team.

Your contact will help you access career consultants, job fairs and employability workshops.

There is also employability funding and support available for estranged students. This is subject to meeting eligibility criteria.

Rise work experience fund

Funds unpaid work experience for up to four weeks.

Rise sandwich placement bursary

Fund the expenses of your sandwich placement.

Rise progression fund

Support interview and assessment costs for final year students.

Placement support programme

This programme is for second year undergraduate students. It helps to boost confidence and resilience in seeking and securing placements

Future You Scheme

Job alerts, invitations to events, and career coaching for final year students. The scheme also offers fully paid six-week graduate internship opportunities at NTU.

Further information

Stand Alone supports adults estranged from their family or key family members. They have an advice centre for students.

NTU have taken the Stand Alone Pledge in 2020/21.

  • Last updated: 05/12/2022