Study abroad checklist
Find out more about the requirements you must meet and the documents you must provide for your study abroad experience.
Accommodation and checklist
You must arrange and apply for accommodation before you travel. You must submit your application within the specified time frame. This will help you secure your preferred accommodation.
Find out more about the various accommodation available to you abroad.
You may find the following checklist helpful.
- Check Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advice on safety of your destination country.
- Check our own NTU advice on the safety of your destination country.
- Think about safety and emergencies. Find out the procedure for emergencies in your host country.
- Shop around for airline tickets. You can try services like Skyscanner.
- Book your return ticket for insurance claim purposes.
- Sort out your visa, immunisations, host accommodation, and health insurance.
- Have medical and dental check-ups before you leave.
- Make copies of your passport, flight information and itinerary. Leave these with your family and friends.
- Plan the trip. Research the transfers you'll need to make to reach your accommodation.
- Submit all the necessary paperwork for your funding and study abroad applications.
NTU Sustainability in Practice Global Mobility module and Sustainable Travel Scholarship
At NTU, we work towards enabling a sustainable culture. We encourage behaviour that reduces our overall impact on the environment.
If you want to travel abroad in a sustainable way, take part in our free Sustainability in Practice (SiP) module. You can also apply for our Sustainable Travel Scholarship to help with travel costs.
Sustainability in Practice Global Mobility module
The NTU Sustainability in Practice (SiP) module is a free and flexible online course. It explores sustainability issues from a personal and theoretical perspective. It focuses on three key areas:
The course aims to increase your employability. You'll get a certificate of achievement to show your literacy regarding sustainability.
You can study abroad in a more sustainable manner. Consider the following, both before you travel and during your stay.
- Use sustainable means of travel, such as avoiding flying where possible.
- Go paperless as much as you can.
- Use reusable items and try to avoid plastic.
Access the SiP module on the NOW learning room.
Sustainable Travel Scholarship
Students can also apply for our Sustainable Travel Scholarship to help with travel costs. You'll need to commit to:
- travelling to your overseas destination in a sustainable way, and
- getting involved in sustainability projects while you're there.
We offer awards of up to £700 depending on your destination. This is to help with the costs of getting to and from your host country.
Applications run in two rounds:
- For travel between January and June 2022, apply by 1 December 2021.
- For travel between June and December 2022, apply by 1 May 2022.
While you're abroad
Once you arrive at your study destination, you must ensure you attend all induction sessions and complete all the necessary paperwork required.
Once you arrive at your study destination, you must:
- attend all induction sessions, and
- complete all the necessary paperwork required.
While you're abroad, you'll still have access to NTU online resources and support. This includes Nottingham Online Workspace (NOW).
If you have any problems or concerns during your time away, email NTU Global.
Arrival and registration
Once you arrive at your destination, you must:
- register with your host organisation, and
- attend any induction orientation sessions.
You must also:
- notify NTU that you arrived safely
- check your NTU email regularly and respond accordingly
- regularly check the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) website
- look for COVID updates about your host country, and
- follow any relevant guidance
- register with a local doctor
- register with local in-country embassy.
Online resources and support
While you're studying abroad, you have access to several online wellbeing resources. These can help you with both your physical and mental health.
You have access to both SilverCloud and Headspace, which are free.
You can also take out a new online membership of NTU Sport. You can get access to over 1,000 online workouts you can do in the comfort of your own home. Classes include Bodypump, Bodycombat, Bodybalance and more.
When you return
If you study abroad, you must provide us with feedback about your experience. This is a compulsory requirement of receiving funding through NTU Global.
- submit a case study, a blog or diary, photos or videos, or social media posts
- return to NTU all end-of-mobility paperwork.
Student Exchange Buddy
Once you've returned from studying abroad, you can become a Student Exchange Buddy. In this role, you'll offer advice, support, guidance and encouragement to:
- incoming exchange students, and
- NTU students who are considering studying abroad or who are about to go out on exchange.