Our strategy and commitment
Nottingham Trent University (NTU) works with over 300 partner institutions across the globe, developing innovative teaching, research and strategic collaborations. Learn more about our strategy, our research and how together we are creating the University of the Future.
Welcome from the Pro Vice-Chancellor International
At NTU, we are bringing brilliant minds together to crack the complex issues of today. Our teams are working with our network of international partners to undertake world-class research, tackling the key challenges currently impacting upon business, industry and our society, and looking forward to address the challenges we will all face in the future.
We are one of the most sustainable universities in the world. Our Teaching and Learning has been rated 'Gold' by the UK Government, to be amongst the best in the UK, with many of our subjects internationally recognised. Our inclusive global community of students and staff is drawn from over 160 different countries and our award-winning student support team and Global Lounges promote intercultural understanding, friendships and develop global skills and networks.
We're a truly global university. Whether it be through research, the introduction of pathway programmes, exchange or the development of Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL) opportunities, we will dedicate our time and resources to partnering with you so please get in touch.
Professor Cillian Ryan, Pro Vice-Chancellor International
NTU Strategy: Connecting Globally
We are creating the University of the Future.
We are a university that opens its arms to all, challenges conventions, and enriches the world around us.
'Connecting Globally' is one of six University, reimagined strategies:
- We have gained renown for our truly global perspective. We are not restricted by borders or boundaries. We work together to deepen and share our insights and understanding of our world for the benefit of the planet and all its inhabitants.
- We will enhance our international partnerships and strengthen our global connectivity through developing and deepening relationships that build on the strengths in our research, scholarship and practice.
- We will expect our colleagues to identify and engage with academics around the world to study, research and publish.
- We will expand chances for our students to meet, learn and play with their international peers.
- We will be the UK’s most welcoming and rewarding environment for students from every community.
Research at NTU
To us, research is about more than writing papers and proposing new ideas. It’s about breaking down barriers and tackling society’s problems in the wild, not just in a laboratory. It’s about bringing together the brightest minds to re-imagine research and find the answers to the questions that really matter.
You can learn more about our research partnerships across the globe by visiting our regional partnerships.
You'll also find out more about NTU research by visiting Re:search Re:imagined.
Learn more about some of NTU's international networks:
NTU is an Engaged Member of The Talloires Network, an international association of institutions committed to strengthening the civic roles and social responsibilities of higher education. The Talloires Network advocates for expansion of civic engagement activities and promotes the most promising practices from its members and others in the field of higher education.
Observatory Magna Charta Universitatum
NTU is proud to be a member of the Observatory Magna Charta Universitatum, a signatories’ association, independent from political organisations or interest groups. The signatory universities - through their rectors, presidents and vice-chancellors, who act on behalf of their institutions - are connected to the organisation by their commitment, present and future, to comply with the principles of the Magna Charta Universitatum.
The Observatory undertakes its work to ensure the integrity of intellectual and scientific work in Institutions and society, thus reinforcing trust in relationship between universities and their communities, be they local, regional, national or global.
NTU is a member of the COIL Connect network, a project of the COIL Virtual Exchange Foundation Inc., a not-for-profit corporation organised in the State of New York, USA. Their mission is to support the international growth of COIL (Collaborative Online International Learning) Virtual Exchange at the institutional level by identifying and connecting institutions undertaking this activity and linking teachers and classes with peers at partner institutions.
The Midlands Engine initiative looks to make the East and West Midlands regions an engine for growth for the UK economy and is supported by universities, business, local authorities and ten Local Enterprise Partnerships.
Midlands Enterprise Universities is a partnership of seven entrepreneurial universities working together to support the Midlands Engine for Growth by driving productivity through skills, innovation and enterprise. As fellow members of the Midlands Engine, NTU is working with Nottingham City Council and Nottinghamshire County Council to develop long-term sustainable academic, civic, business and cultural partnerships in China.
NTU is working together as part of the International Santander Universities Network to support higher education by providing funding for scholarships, grants and internships. Our work with this network is one of the many ways in which we are realising our strategic aims to create opportunities, value ideas and enrich society.
UK China Joint Institute Alliance
The UK China Joint Institute Alliance is a pioneering partnership of UK and Chinese institutions working to boost the development and management of UK China Transnational Education (TNE) joint institutes and to drive innovation and quality TNE delivery in China.
The Alliance was established in 2017 and is supported by the British Council and the China Education Association for International Exchange (CEAIE). NTU is one of the 22 UK and Chinese founding member institutes.
The aims of the Alliance are to:
- support dialogue and share best practice in the management and operation of TNE in China, increasing quality of delivery through joint TNE institutes in China;
- progress multilateral exchanges, joint curriculum development, faculty recruitment and training;
- promote the quality of teaching in TNE ensuring a rich student experience;
- contribute to the development of TNE policy;
- map strategic future directions of UK China TNE and identify new TNE collaborations e.g. joint research and publication in shared priority areas;
- accelerate innovation and change in UK China TNE;
- promote and showcase UK China TNE.