Terms and conditions
The following terms and conditions apply to the use of the NTU Smartcard for purchasing food and drink and for printing and photocopying.
- A Smartcard must remain in control of the student or staff member (cardholder) at all times. Safeguarding and ensuring proper use of the Smartcard is the cardholder's responsibility.
- Any member of University staff, including Hall Managers and Wardens, may ask to see the Smartcard for verification purposes.
- If a Smartcard is lost or stolen or physically damaged, NTU reserves the right to make an administrative charge of £10 for a replacement card.
- If a Smartcard is reported stolen and the cardholder can provide a crime number NTU will replace the card free of charge.
- Smartcards remain the property of Nottingham Trent University.
The University Smartcard can also be used to hold money for use in making purchases from specified outlets across the campuses and for printing / photocopying. Use of the Smartcard for such cashless purchases is subject to these terms and conditions, which may be amended from time to time. Before first use a Smartcard must be activated to enable it to be used for cashless purchases. Smartcards can be activated at time of collection or, later, at Card Services (Student Services Centre in the Newton building on the City Campus, Student Services Centre on the Clifton Campus) or, from the start of term, at the City, Clifton and Brackenhurst libraries. In addition, special arrangements will be made for Smartcard activation facilities during the first two weeks of the first term, see the Smartcard website for details.
- The NTU Smartcard is not a cheque guarantee card or credit/debit card.
- The Smartcard can be used for purchases at NTU from 1 September 2008.
- Money loaded on to the Smartcard is a gift to the cardholder. Any money that may be refunded in accordance with the refund provisions set out below will go to the cardholder and not to other persons who may have uploaded funds to the cardholder's Smartcard.
- When money is loaded onto the Smartcard, the transaction is processed securely by a specialist payment processing provider. NTU does not see or store the details of the credit/debit card used to make the payment.
- The Smartcard can only be used for purchases and transactions while the cardholder remains at the University as a student, employee or associate (registered with Information Systems).
- Once an online payment has been made to load funds onto a Smartcard, there will be a time delay of up to 30 minutes before any purchases can be made to allow the money to reach the Smartcard.
- Money may only be loaded on to the Smartcard via the web and may be loaded for both or one of two separate purposes: use of printers/printer-copying controlled by the Pharos UnipriNT system located in the libraries or in or near IT resource rooms, or for purchases in specified locations at the University (see below).
- The following locations will allow the use of the Smartcard for making purchases:
- Food and drink purchases from Catering outlets:
- City Campus: Café Bonington, Café Chaucer, Café Goldsmith, Dine Arkwright, Express Newton, and Café Newton
- Clifton Campus: The Referctory, Barista and Café Darwin
- Brackenhurst: Café Brackenhurst
- Specialist printing, photocopying, binding and laminating in the Print Shops in Byron House (City Campus) and D.H. Lawrence (Clifton Campus)
- Consumables sold in the Libraries: Boots Library (City Campus), Brackenhurst Library and Clifton Library (including library fines and late returns)
- Staff car parking payments at: Gill Street and Binsey car parks
- Food and drink purchases from Catering outlets:
- Once money has been loaded on to the Smartcard for one or other of the specified purposes, it cannot be transferred to the other purpose i.e. money loaded for printing/photocopying cannot later be used to make purchases and vice versa.
- A Smartcard which is damaged, defaced, altered or subject to misuse is not valid and cannot be used. In these situations, any purchases will be required to be paid for by other means.
- If a Smartcard is stolen, lost, damaged or otherwise unusable the holder must notify NTU as soon as reasonably practicable by contacting NTU Security on +44 (0)115 848 6462. On receipt of this notification NTU will invalidate the card at the earliest practicable opportunity. NTU cannot prevent the unauthorised use of the card until the invalidation becomes effective on the card but any transactions undertaken after a card has been reported lost or stolen will be at NTU's risk. Any value restored to a replacement card will not exceed the value on the replaced card at the time it was reported lost or stolen. A damaged or unusable card must be returned to NTU as soon as reasonably practicable.
- Any funds transferred from a lost / stolen / damaged Smartcard onto a replacement Smartcard will be available for use after 24 hours of the funds being placed on the replacement Smartcard.
- NTU does not undertake to provide refunds whilst the cardholder continues to be a student, an employed member of staff or a visitor who remains at the University.
- Refunds of unspent cashless campus funds held on a Smartcard will be provided only in the following situations:
(a) when the student graduates or formally leaves the University;
(b) when the member of staff is no longer employed by the University; or
(c) if the associate who has a Smartcard has ceased involvement with the University. To obtain a refund of unused funds held on a Smartcard, the cardholder must request the refund within 8 weeks of ceasing their involvement with the University. Any refund will be limited to funds uploaded via the online payment system, and will not include any unused discounts or non-cash benefits which may have been given or applied to the card by the University. An administration charge of £10 will be made for any refunds; accordingly, requests for refunds will only be accepted where the unused funds exceed £10 in value.
- Unauthorised use of another Smartcard to obtain goods, services or other benefits will be treated as serious misconduct and may result in disciplinary action being taken.
- NTU may, from time to time, contact the holder with offers of goods and services from NTU. Cardholders may apply to be excluded from such marketing by informing the Head Of Customer Services in writing.
- Please protect the Smartcard and treat as you would cash.
- A Smartcard can be used as a bus card. Smart Card users are not entitled to use their card or receive the discounted prices for bus travel once they cease involvement with the University.
Online payment terms and conditions
1. Upload of Funds
- Money may be uploaded onto a Smartcard by any person. The uploading of any sums by or on behalf of the cardholder does not in itself indicate the existence of a contract between the University and the cardholder. No contract shall exist between the University and a person using this system to upload funds to a card where that person is not the cardholder.
- Any information displayed in this Online Payment Facility in respect of the balance on a Smartcard is for guidance only.
2. Refund of any balance
- Whilst the Cardholder continues to study at or be employed by the University, funds on their Smartcard can only be used for purchases and payments in respect of University services, and no refund will be given.
- If the cardholder formally leaves the University a refund of unused funds on their Smartcard will be made in accordance with the terms and conditions of use of the Smartcard. Money uploaded to a Smartcard is a gift to the cardholder. Accordingly, any refund will be made to the cardholder only, and persons other than the cardholder shall not be entitled to a refund of any funds they have uploaded to that Smartcard.
- All payment details which are entered through this payment gateway are encrypted. The site is secure using 128 bit encryption to offer secure communications by encrypting all data to and from the site.
- The University shall not be liable for any failure by the user of this online payment system to properly protect data from being seen on their screen by other persons or otherwise obtained by such other persons, during the Online Payment process or in respect of any omission to provide accurate information in the course of the Online Payment process.
4. Data protection
- The University will be entitled to use information given during the Online Payment process for the following purposes:
- Students: for those purposes detailed in Condition 11 of the Enrolment Conditions and University marketing purposes.
- Staff: for those purposes detailed in the data protection statement on CHRIS and University marketing purposes.
- Third parties making payment on behalf of the Student: for University marketing purposes only. Personal information will not be passed to third parties.