Your Smartcard can be used to hold money, we call this Cashless Campus, it is for using your top-up balance in making purchases from specified outlets across the campus and for students for use in printing and photocopying. Use of the Smartcard for such cashless purchases is subject to these terms and conditions, which may be amended from time to time.
Before first use a Smartcard must be activated to enable it to be used for cashless purchases. Smartcards can be activated at time of collection or, later, at Card Services (Student Services Centre in the Newton building on the City Campus, Student Services Centre on the Clifton Campus) or, from the start of term, at the City, Clifton and Brackenhurst libraries. In addition, special arrangements will be made for Smartcard activation facilities during the first two weeks of the first term, see the Student Smartcard page for details.
- The NTU Smartcard is not a cheque guarantee card or credit/debit card.
- Any money loaded on to the Smartcard is done so as a gift to the cardholder. Any money that may be refunded in accordance with the refund provisions set out below will go to the cardholder, and not to other persons who may have uploaded funds to the cardholder's Smartcard.
- When money is loaded onto the Smartcard, the transaction is processed securely by a specialist payment processing provider. NTU does not see or store the details of the credit/debit card used to make the payment.
- The Smartcard can only be used for purchases and transactions while the cardholder remains at the University as a student, employee, or associate (registered with Digital Technologies).
- Once an online payment has been made to load funds onto a Smartcard, there can be delay of up to 30 minutes to allow the money to reach the Smartcard, please be aware of this before making any using the Smartcard.
- Money must be loaded on to the Smartcard via the website and can be loaded for one of two separate purposes:
- Student use of printers/photocopying controlled by the Pharos UnipriNT system located in the libraries, in or near IT resource rooms
- For purchases in specified locations at the University (see below).
- The following locations will allow the use of the Smartcard for making purchases:
- Food and drink purchases from Catering outlets:
details about our food and available locations.
- Specialist printing, photocopying, binding, and laminating in the Print Shops in Chaucer (City Campus) and D.H. Lawrence (Clifton Campus)
- Consumables sold in the libraries: Boots Library (City Campus), Brackenhurst Library and Clifton Library (including library fines and late returns)
- Staff car parking payments at: Hampden Street, Gill Street and Clifton South car parks.
- Once money has been loaded on to the Smartcard for one or other of the specified purposes, it cannot be transferred to the other purpose i.e. money loaded for printing/photocopying cannot later be used to make purchases and vice versa.
- A Smartcard which is damaged, defaced, altered or subject to misuse is not valid and cannot be used. In these situations, any purchases will be required to be paid for by other means.
- If your Smartcard is stolen, lost, damaged or otherwise unusable the cardholder must notify NTU as soon as reasonably practicable by contacting NTU Security on +44 (0)115 848 6462. On receipt of this notification NTU will invalidate the card at the earliest practicable opportunity. NTU cannot prevent the unauthorised use of the card until the invalidation becomes effective on the Smartcard, but any transactions undertaken after a card has been reported lost or stolen will be at NTU's risk. Any value restored to a replacement card will not exceed the value on the replaced card at the time it was reported lost or stolen. A damaged or unusable card must be returned to NTU as soon as reasonably practicable.
- Any funds transferred from a lost / stolen / damaged Smartcard onto a replacement Smartcard will be available for use after 24 hours of the funds being placed on the replacement Smartcard.
- NTU does not provide refunds whilst the cardholder continues to be a student, an employed member of staff, or a visitor who remains at the University.
- Refunds of unspent cashless campus funds held on a Smartcard will be provided only in the following situations:
- when the student graduates or formally leaves the University,
- when the member of staff is no longer employed by the University, or
- if the associate who has a Smartcard has ceased involvement with the University.
To obtain a refund of unused cashless campus funds held on a Smartcard, the cardholder must request the refund within 8 weeks of ceasing their involvement with the University. Any refund will be limited to funds uploaded via the online payment system and will not include any unused discounts or non-cash benefits which may have been given or applied to the card by the University.
An administration charge of £10 will be made for any refunds; accordingly, requests for refunds will only be accepted where the unused funds exceed £10 in value. For refunds regarding printer/photocopying credit, please see the Printing and Photocopying section below.
- Unauthorised use of another individuals Smartcard to obtain goods, services or other benefits will be treated as serious misconduct and may result in disciplinary action being taken.
- NTU may, from time to time, contact the holder with offers of goods and services from NTU. Cardholders may apply to be excluded from such marketing by informing the Director of Student Support Services in writing.
- Please protect the Smartcard and treat as you would cash.