Alan teaches at undergraduate and postgraduate levels and contributes to scholarly activity and research, course management and development in the area of Building Technology. His teaching interests include building engineering services, architectural science, energy in buildings, water management and sustainability in the built environment.
- 1998 to 2001, Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, £112K for a project entitled 'Water recycling opportunities for city sustainability' (GR/L77423) with Professor David Butler, Imperial College, London and Professor Tom Stephenson Cranfield University.
- 1995 to 1998, Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, £105K for a project entitled 'Local water conservation, reuse and renovation: Combined grey water and rainwater recycling (GR/K63450) with Professor David Butler, Imperial College, London.
- 1993 to 2004, Science and Engineering Research Council, £10K, for a project entitled The reuse of rainwater for WC Flushing – The instrumentation and field testing of a collection system (GR/J1451).
Alan's research interests are in the areas of:
- Rainwater harvesting systems
- Grey water recycling systems
- Green Roofs
- Sustainable urban drainage systems (SUDS)
- Water demand management
- Energy and environment
- Low energy buildings
- Renewable energy systems
- Building services engineering.
Research enquiries welcomed in fields of research interest as outlined above.
- 2001 to 2004, Member, Environment Agency Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems Science Group.
- 1992 to 1999, Member, Editorial Board: Journal of International Rainwater Catchment Systems.
- 1992 to 1999, Regional Director for Europe, International Rainwater Collection Systems Association.
- 2004 to present, Referee for the following journals:
- Building and Environment, Elsevier Publishing.
- Building Services Engineering Research and Technology, Hodder Arnold.
- 2005 to present, referee for Urban Water, Taylor and Francis.
Sponsors and collaborators
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council.
Full list of publications can be found by clicking on 'go to publications' link above.
PARSONS, D., GOODHEW, S., FEWKES, A. and DE, WILDE, P., 2010. The perceived barriers to the inclusion of rainwater harvesting systems by UK house building companies, Urban Water Journal, Vol. 7 (4), pp. 257-265 (DOI:10.1080/1573062x.2010.500331) ISSN 1744-9006
FEWKES, A, (2001), presented at Management and Protection of the Biosphere, proceedings of the International Conference on Sustainable Economic Development and Sound Regional Resources Management, Tashkent State University, Uzbekistan, 3 - 5 October 2001, pp. 6.
- Rainwater harvesting
- Sustainable construction
- Energy consumption
- Passive heating systems