Professor Daizhong Su is Professor of Design Engineering and Head of the Advanced Design and Manufacturing Engineering Centre.
As a principal investigator or co-investigator, Professor Su successfully conducted/conducts a number of collaborative research projects supported by the European Commission, research councils, governmental departments, regional development agencies, industries, and other external funding bodies.
Professor Su has collaborated with a range of national and international organisations, including well recognised research institutions such as Fraunhofer and Wuppertal Institute; large industrial companies such as Philips Lighting, Boots, Ecover, and Chemineer; prestigious institutes/universities in China such as the State Key Laboratory of Mechanical Transmission, Harbin Institute of Technology, and Chongqing Academy of Science and Technology.
He has been the supervisor of more than 30 PhD projects, and academic host of 15 visiting scholars from overseas.
His major teaching subject areas include product/engineering design, design methodology, engineering management, CAD/CAE/CAM, sustainable design and manufacture, and research methods. He is the module leader of MSc Computer Aided Engineering and Internet Technologies and MA/MSc Applied Design and Research. He has also been involved in development of postgraduate taught programmes and was the course leader of MSc Advanced Design and Manufacture (2005-2011).
External assessor of taught programmes
- BSc and DipHE programmes of Mechatronics, Bolton University (2013-2017)
- Mentor to external examiner of Manufacturing Engineering, Bolton University (2014-2015)
- MSc programme ‘Product innovation and management’, Brighton University (2009–2013)
- BSc Product Design Technology and BSc Computer Aided Product Design programmes, Northumbria University (2008 – 2012)
- Master of Research programme, Cranfield University, 2008
- MSc/MEng/BEng programmes in the Manufacturing Field and the Professional Studies Field, University of West England University (2003 – 2007)
- BSc programmes in Multimedia and Product Design, Glasgow Caledonian University (1999 – 2003)
External assessor of research assessment
- Reviewer of the Italian National Research Assessment VQR, 2016
- Assessment Panel member of China 973 National Research Programme project ‘Key technologies of unmanned machinery for coal mining operation in dangerous situations at deep working locations’, 2015.
- Member of Assessment Panel, Programme for New Century Excellent Talents in Universities, Education Ministry of China, 2004
External examiner (PhD)
External examiner of more than 20 PhD projects at the following universities: York University, University of Cardiff, Nottingham University, Glasgow Caledonian University, University of Salford, De Montfort University Leicester, University of the West of England, Harbin Engineering University (China), Chongqing University (China), Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology (India).
- product design, engineering design
- technologies for sustainability including lifecycle assessment, sustainable design and manufacture, renewable ocean and solar energy, sustainable buildings, waste management and recycling
- LED lighting product development, lighting measurement
- integrated manufacture,
- mechanical transmission, gears, cam mechanisms
- Internet technologies, big data, wireless computing, Grid, Web services and their applications in Engineering.
Selected projects supported by external research grants
- China MoST project ‘Integrated sustainable product development approach and its application for flooring products’, in collaboration with five Chinese teams, 2015-2017. Project grant 2,400,000 CNY (£267,000)
- EU FP7 project ‘cycLED: Cycling resources embedded in systems containing Light Emitting Diodes’, thirteen teams from seven EU countries, 2012-2015. Project funding 5,426,163 Euros including the European Commission’s grant €4,044,370.00
- EU FP7 project ‘myEcoCost: A consumer oriented prototype – forming the nucleus of a novel Ecological Accounting System’, nine teams from four EU countries, 2012-2015. Project funding €3,781,340 including the European Commission’s grant €2,959,800
- EU FP7 Marie Curie IIF project ‘AgitatorCBM: Condition based maintenance of agitators using advanced condition monitoring and Internet/wireless technologies’, 2011-2012. European Commission’s grant €120,145
- EU CIP Eco-Innovation project ‘Ecolights: Market deployment of eco-lighting products’, four partners from three EU countries, 2012-2014. Project funding €1,100,552 including European Commission’s grant €550,276
- Sustainable Construction Innovation Network (iNET) project ‘Development of a novel system of solid desiccant dehumidification for low carbon emission buildings’, 2009-2010. Project grant £39,134
- Sustainable Construction Innovation Network (iNET) project ‘Solar thermoelectric generator with co-generation of renewable electrical energy and source of water heating for sustainable buildings’, 2010-2011. Project grant £40,000
- EMDA Stimulation Innovation Success Programme (SIS) project ‘Development of a sustainable lighting product 2009-2010’. Project grant £10,000
- RCUK Summer School project ‘Renewable Ocean Energy and Sustainable Design’, 2010. Project grant £12,000
- EMDA SIS project ‘Condition monitoring of Chemineer gearboxes’, 2007. Project grant £10,000
- EMDA SIS project ‘Clean power generated from sea tide and waves’, 2007. Project grant £10,000
- EU Asia IT&C project ‘Web-enabled Collaboration in Intelligent Manufacture’ 2003-2006. Project grant: €381,501
- EU Asia-Link project ‘Human resource development in mechanical and manufacturing engineering programme’, 2003-2006. Project grant €222,715
- NSFC Project ‘investigation of cylindrical involute worm gear drive’s elastic mesh, manufacturing simulation and related techniques, 2001-2003. Project grant 220,000 CNY (£25,000)
- DTI Project ‘Computer integrated manufacture of hot coiled springs’, 2001-2003. Project grant £175,000.
- TCP Project ‘Optimum design of rotation machinery using genetic algorithm’, 1996-1998. Project grant £91,120
- Chairman of Gearing and Transmission Technical Committee, International Federation for the Promotion of Mechanism and Machine Science (IFToMM)
- Member of Committee MCE/5/-/7 ‘Worm gears’, British Standard Institution, 2001 -2010
- Application evaluator, Research Grants Council of Hong Kong
- Application evaluator, Research Council of Natural Science and Engineering, Academy of Finland
- Application evaluator, Natural Science Foundation of China, 2004 - 2014.
- Advisory Panel Member, EPSRC 13th Engineering Programme Responsive Mode, 2000.
- Application evaluator, Technology Strategy Board, UK, 2008-2009
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Design Engineering
Guest editor, special issues of refereed journals:
- International Journal Materials and Product Technology (Vol. 53, No. 2, 2016): ‘Advances in product development underpinned by multiple technologies’
- Key Engineering Materials (Vol. 572, 2014; Vol. 450, 2011; Vol. 486, 2011; Vol. 419-420, 2010): ‘Advanced design and manufacture’ I, II, III and IV
- International Journal Manufacturing Technology and Management (Vol. 17, No. 3, 2009): ‘Advanced design and manufacturing’.
- International Journal of Production Research (Vol 46, No. 9, 2008): ‘Enabling technologies and frameworks for collaborative intelligent manufacturing’.
Editorial board member of refereed journals:
- International Journal of Sustainable Design, InderScience
- Journal of Vibration Engineering & Technology, Vibration Institute of India.
- Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering (English Edition)
- Journal of Chongqing University (English Edition), China (2002-2013)
- International Journal of Gears and Transmissions, IFToMM Gearing TC (1996-2010)
Chairman, Co-chairman and Committee Chairman of International Conferences
- Founder and Chairman of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th International Conference on Advanced Design and Manufacture (ADM2006, ADM2009, ADM2010, ADM2011 and ADM2013).
- Chairman, International Conference on Gearing, Transmission and Mechanical Systems, 3-6 July 2000, Nottingham, UK
- Co-Chairman, 3rd Conference on Mechanisms, Transmissions and Applications, Aachen, Germany, 6-8 May 2015
- Vice-Chairman, 1st, 2nd and 3rd International Symposium on Theory and Practice of Gearing, Izhevsk, Russia, (4-6, December, 1996; 17-19, November 1998; 21-23, January 2014)
- Co-Chairman, 4th International Conference on Computer Aided Industrial Design and Conceptual Design, 16-20 October 2001, Ji’nan, China.
- International Publicity Chairman, 9th International Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work in Design, 24-26, May, 2005 Coventry, UK
- International Chairman, International Conference on Mechanical Transmission, (5-9, April 2000; 26-29, September 2006) Chongqing, China
- Vice Chairman of Programme Committee, 2nd International Conference on Computer Aided Industrial Design and Conceptual Design, 26-28 November 1999, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Committee members of more than 10 additional international conferences.
Sponsors and collaborators
- European Commission’s research funding programmes such as the Seventh Programme (FP7), Competitiveness and Innovation Programme (CIP), Regional Development Funds, Asia Link, and Asia IT&C.
- UK sponsors such as Research Councils UK (RCUK), Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), East Midlands Development Agency (EMDA), and Sustainable Construction iNET.
- Sponsors from China such as the Ministry of Science and Technology (MoST) and the Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC)
EU FP7 cycLED project partners ( http://www.cyc-led.eu/Consortium.html ):
- Research partners: Fraunhofer IZM (Germany), University of Wales Institute Cardiff EDCW (UK), Sirris Het Colletief Centrum Van Tecnologische Industrie VZW (Belgium), Institut Telecom (France)
- LED lighting technology and manufacturing companies: Philips Lighting B.V. (Netherlands), ETAP NV (Belgium), ONA Product S L (Spain), Braun Schaltgerate und Service EK BSS (Germany), Riva GMBH Lighting (Germany), UMICORE NV (Belgium), Optotransmitter-Umweltschutz-Technologue EV (Germany).
- Recycling company: ELPRO Elektronik Produkt Recycling GMBH (Germany),
EU FP7 myEcoCost project partners ( http://myecocost.eu/index.php/consortium/partners ):
- Research partners: Wuppertal Institute for Climate, Environment and Energy (Germany)
- Industrial partners: Boots Ltd (UK), Ecover Belgium N.V. (Belgium), Global Standard One (GS1) Network Germany, TriaGnoSys GmbH (Germany), Robert Mostyn (UK), Enviro Data (Sweden), Climate Friendly Food (UK).
EU CIP Ecolight project partners ( http://www.ecolightsproject.eu/consortium-2/ ):
- Lighting companies: Ona (Spain), aaxsus (Sweden)
- Marketing company: Mosmedios (Spain)
Partners of China MoST and NSFC projects:
- Research partners: Chongqing Academy of Science and Technology, Southwest University, Chongqing University of Technology, Chongqing University of Technology and Business, State Key Laboratory of Mechanical Transmission
- Industrial partners: Chongqing Xanest Co. Ltd, Chongqing Polycomp International Co.
Partners of EU-Asia link, EU-Asia IT&C and EU FP7 Marie Curie IIP projects:
- Research partners: Lappeenranta University of Technology (Finland), Harbin Institute of Technology (China), State Key Laboratory of Mechanical Transmission (Chongqing University, China), Harbin Engineering University (China)
- Industrial partners: Chemineer (UK), Labein Tecnalia (Spain)
Partners of Sustainable Construction iNET projects I and II:
- Research partner: Nottingham University (UK),
- Industrial partners: CE Technologies Ltd (UK), European Thermodynamics Ltd (UK)
Industrial partners of SIS projects:
Chemineer (UK), Ocean Navitas (UK), ONA Product Ltd (Spain).
Industrial partners (UK) of IT&C Carrier project and KTP project:
Romax Technology, Institute of Spring Technology Ltd, Binns and Berry (Halifax) Ltd, Turton Tonks Spring Ltd, and Hanson Springs Ltd.
Journal and conference papers, books and book chapters
More than 200 publications, including papers published in journals with high impact factors, such as ‘Safety Science’, ‘Cleaner Production’, ‘Measurement’, ‘International Journal of Production Research’ and ‘Journal of Sound and Vibration’.
Patent and registered designs
- ‘An Embedded Sensory System for Low-speed Gearboxes’. Patent No. ZL 2012 1 0528026.4, State Intellectual Property Bureau, China, 2015
- ‘Ecolights overall structure’ Registered community design No. 001360770-0001/001360770-0003, EU Intellectual Property Office, 2013
- ‘Casing joint and connection for the lighting product’, Registered community design No. 002517342-0001, EU Intellectual Property Office, 2014
Keynotes and invited speeches
- Keynote speech, ‘Development of energy efficiency and environment friendly products’, International Conference on Advances on Advances in Energy Resources and Environment Engineering, 14-15 March 2015, Daqing, China
- Keynote Speech, ‘Sustainable product design and its application in mechanical transmission’, International Symposium on Theory and Practice of Gearing, January 21-23, 2014, Izhevsk, Russia
- Invited Speech, ‘Snow sculpture and internationalisation’, 2nd International Symposium on Ice and Snow Sculpture Art and Education, 5th January 2014, Harbin, China
- Keynote Speech, ‘Sustainable product development’, International conference on Frontiers of Environment, Energy and Bioscience, 24-25 October 2013, Beijing, China
- Invited Speech, ‘Enhancing Internationalisation by participating in Harbin Snow Sculpture Competitions’, 1st International Symposium on Ice and Snow Sculpture Art and Education, 5th January 2013, Harbin, China
- Keynote Speech, ‘Renewable Ocean Energy and Sustainable Product Design’, International Ocean Energy Symposium, 17-18 September 2009, Harbin, China
- Keynote Speech, ‘Enhancing students’ employability and entrepreneurship via a postgraduate programme’, European University Enterprise-Network Symposium, 29 April -3 May 2009, Nicosia, Cyprus
- Invited Paper, ‘Web-based collaborative Working Environment and Sustainable Furniture Design’, The 18th CIRP Design Conference – Competitive Design, 30-31 March 2009, Cranfield, UK
- ‘Ecolights: LED lighting Products with Novel Eco-features’, Finalist for the ‘Best Recycled Product’, MRW National Recycling Awards 2014
- ‘Ecolights: an Eco-lighting Product with Energy Efficiency Features’, Finalist for the ‘Energy efficient product of the year Lighting’, Energy Awards 2014,
- ‘A teaching and learning technology programme phase 3 project’, EASEIT-Eng Gold Award, 2003
Industrial and business exhibitions
- Presentation of the Eco-lighting product at the Dragon’s Den Session of Lux Live, 18-19 November 2015, ExCel London.
- Presentation ‘Integration of sustainable technologies into the development of eco-lighting products’ at the seminar ‘The lightbulb moment: Lighting success stories’ (he was also the seminar chair), Edie.Live, 17-18 May 2016, NEC Birmingham, UK
- Product design and engineering design
- Integrated manufacture
- Sustainable product development
- Product lifecycle assessment
- LED lighting product and lighting assessment
- Waste management, recycling and reused
- Computer aided design, computer manufacture, and computer added engineering
- Gears and mechanical transmission