Debbie's current academic responsibilities include module leadership for the 100 credit first year (level 4) design module for BA (Hons) Textile Design. Academic duties within this role include; curriculum design, delivery of practical design led workshops, supporting students through personal and academic tutorials, project supervision, lecturing, design tutorials and assessment.
Debbie teaches across all levels of the BA (Hons) Textile Design course and I specialise in embroidery – hand, machine and CAD, with a strong interest in embroidery for fashion and cross / multi-disciplinary practice.
Debbie has been involved in teaching since she graduated from the RCA (1990) in many areas and it is something that she is extremely passionate about. Debbie has taught at many levels from adult education at summer schools and day courses to BA (Hons) and MA working as an HPL and also as a part time member of staff.
- 2002 Chelsea College of Art & Design 0.5 maternity cover Textiles Design - Embroidery
- 1998 -2000 The Nottingham Trent University Embroidery Tutor (fashion dept)
- 1999 The Nottingham Trent University, Tutor in INTADAP International art
& design access programme (HPL)
- 1998 & 99 Winchester School of Art Embroidery Tutor in Fashion Design
- 1997- 99 Missenden Abbey - Adult Education courses Summer Schools and Weekend Courses – Machine Embroidery
- 1997 Dali at Central Saint Martins - Summer School Tutor - Embroidery
Workshop ( 5 days)
- 1995-2000 Embroiderers’ Guild Tutor - Embroidery Workshops (various)
- 1992-96 Birmingham Institute of Art & Design Tutor in Embroidery Design
- 1993-94 Chelsea College of Art & Design - Tutor in Textile Design, teaching Drawing & Colour (HPL)
- 1992-93 Royal College of Art – Embroidery Lecturer (HPL
- 1991-95 Central Saint Martin College of Art -Tutor in Textile Design - Weave (HPL)
Previously Debbie worked for a number of years as a freelance designer (1990- 2001)(weave and embroidery) working with designers and companies on a variety of different jobs. She also worked as a designer maker creating and selling embroidered garments and accessories through craft fairs, galleries, shops and a select clientele.
Recently Debbie contributed to Peter Blake’s book on Alphabets, text by Mel Gooding, published by D3 Editions 2010, writing the sampler captions.
Exhibited work - 'Journeys in Lace – Part One' – Wallner Gallery, Lakeside in the staff exhibition which is part of the Lace season. Currently exhibiting work - 'Journeys in Lace – Part Two' – Bonnington Gallery - student and staff exhibition.
Debbie's current research involves the development and combination of hand embroidery, machine embroidery, craft techniques and CAD. Research aim; exploring ways to incorporate craft - hand embroidery, macramé with machine (Irish) embroidery.
External Examining2008-2011 De Montfort University–BA (Hons) Fashion Fabrics and Accessories
Texprint Interview Panel2000-2005 Involved in the interviews and selection for a place to sell designs at Premier Vision.