Verity is the course leader for the Joint Honours in Education suite of degree courses. Verity is also a senior lecturer in Education Studies and contributes to a range of modules within the division of Academic Studies in Education.
Verity has worked across HE, FE and adult education sectors.
Verity is interested in the ways in which student writing can be adopted as a unique lens to help reveal a particular understanding of the student experience. Verity is currently exploring the way that Higher Education is shaped by policy and by extension, how policy contributes to how writing is experienced and viewed by student writers.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of British Educational Research Association
- Co-author of ‘i-guides’, a learning support resource acknowledged as an exemplar of good practice in the Learning Literacies in a Digital Age (LLiDA) wiki
- External Examiner for the BA in Education Studies (single honours and delegated joints) at University of Central Lancashire (UCLAN), Jan 2014 to Sep 2017
- External Reader for Trinity Saint David, University of Wales in relation to a Foundation Degree in Inclusive Education and a BA (Honours) degree in Inclusive Education, December 2015
‘Dissertation Club: A concept for collaborative cross-subject support for dissertation students’ Aiken V, Presentation at the Association for Learning Development in Higher Education (ALDinHE) Annual Conference, University of Leeds, 2012
‘Developing resources for a reflective learning module for the new degree structure’ Aiken V, Smith J, Spencer G & Wyman M Teaching Innovation Conference, Keele University, 2010
‘No ‘i’ in Teamwork: A faculty-based model for learning development’ Aiken V, Smith J & Spencer G, Poster Presentation at Learning Development Higher Education Network (LDHEN) Symposium, Nottingham Trent University, 2010
‘Study Skills for All: Teaching multidisciplinary and cross-year groups’. Aiken V, Paper Presentation at the NACADA Conference: Edge Hill University, 2009.
‘In their language?: Using a blog to encourage student engagement with study skills’. Aiken V, Elearning 2.0 Conference, Brunel University, 2009
‘Headstart! Piloting a pre-arrival course for mature students studying in the Humanities and Social Sciences’. Aiken V, Smith J & Spencer G, Teaching Innovation Conference, Keele University, 2009.See all of Verity Aiken's publications...