Jingchen is a Professor of Law and Co-director of the Centre for Business and Insolvency Law at Nottingham Law School. He is the Grant Champion for the Law School.
His research specialism is within artificial intelligence and law, corporate law, corporate social responsibility and corporate governance, and he also contributes to research in the areas of insolvency law, Chinese law and financial law.
He supervises PhD students working on projects in corporate law, corporate social responsibility and corporate governance.
He teaches in the areas of corporate law, international commercial transactions, corporate governance, corporate social responsibility and securities regulation at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Jingchen holds a doctorate from the University of Manchester. He has taught at several UK universities, most recently at the University of Leeds, where he specialised in corporate social responsibility, corporate law and corporate governance. He joined Nottingham Law School in May 2018.
Jingchen's research specialism extends from general aspects of business law to interdisciplinary areas such as artificial intelligence and big data, law and finance, and modern slavery. Much of his current research concentrates on filling the gap in research on the legal aspects of regulating artificial intelligence in the boardroom, mandatory corporate social responsibility, law and finance, shareholders’ rights and corporate governance. His most recent research has focused on board accountability, shareholder litigation, regulating corporate social responsibility and extraterritorial attempts at addressing sustainability challenges.
He has published a number of articles in high quality journals including Stanford Journal of International Law, Legal Studies, the Hong Kong Law Journal, the Northwestern Journal of International Law and Business, the Journal of Corporate Law Studies, the European Business Organization Law Review, the Journal of Business Law, the Hasting Business Law Journal, the Catholic University Law Review, the Brooklyn Journal of Corporate, Financial and Commercial Law, and the Northern Ireland Legal Quarterly. He is the author of Corporate Social Responsibility in Contemporary China (Edward Elgar 2014) in the ‘Globalisation, Corporation and the Law’ series.
Jingchen’s research has been supported by research grants from the AHRC, ESRC, the Social Science Foundation of China and the Natural Science Foundation of China. He is the principal investigator for the AHRC funded project, 'Scoping the Future of Law and Social Justice - Listening & Hearing from the Frontline'. He was also substantially involved in a three-year project funded jointly by the ESRC Newton Fund and the Natural Science Foundation of China entitled 'Boosting Growth through Strengthening Investor and Creditor Protection in China: How China can learn from the UK Experience'.
Jingchen is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. He is a member of the AHRC peer review college. He acts as the external examiner for the University of Law. He has acted as the external examiner for the University of Manchester, Lancaster University, the University of British Colombia, King’s College London, Newcastle University, University of Sheffield and Deakin University at the doctorate level.
Sponsors and collaborators
Professor Andrew Keay, University of Leeds
Professor Gerard McCormack, University of Leeds
Professor Shuangge Wen, Jilin University, China
Professor Joan Loughrey, University of Leeds
Professor Xian Huang, Wuhan University, China
Dr. Yan Liu, Wuhan University, China
Dr. Chuyi Wei, Jinan University, China
Dr. Zhihui Li, Emory University, USA
Dr. Yihuai (Edward) Wang, Georgia State University, USA
Dr. John Tribe, University of Liverpool
- Zhao, J., Derivative Actions and Corporate Governance in China (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar 2022 forthcoming)
- Zhao, J., Corporate Social Responsibility in Contemporary China (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar 2014) ISSN 978178100 5576
- Zhao, J., ‘Artificial Intelligence and Sustainable Decisions’ (2022) European Business Organizational Law Review 23 (forthcoming with Fariñas, B.G.) ISSN: 1566-7529 SSCI
- Zhao, J., ‘Artificial Intelligence and Corporate Decisions: Fantasy, Reality or Destiny’ (2021-2022), Catholic University Law Review 71 forthcoming ISSN 1530-6119 SSCI
- Zhao, J., ‘Corporate Social Accountability' (2022), Stanford Journal of International Law 58, 63-111(with Wen, S) ISSN 0731-5082 SSCI
- Zhao, J., ‘Promoting Corporate Extraterritorial Sustainable Responsibility through the Lens of Social Licence to Operate’ (2022) Sustainability 14, 8019. ISSN: 2071-1050 SSCI(with Lu, X. & Lin W.) SSCI
- Zhao, J., ‘Eliminating Zombie Companies through Insolvency Law in China: Striking a Balance between Market-oriented Policies and Government Intervention’ (2022) Asia Pacific Law Review 29, 264–286 (Wen, S., Parry, R., & Wei, C.) ISSN 1019-2557 SSCI
- Zhao, J., ‘Using Artificial Intelligence in the Legal Profession’ (2022) Legal Futures. Available online: https://www.legalfutures.co.uk/blog/using-artificial-intelligence-in-the-legal-profession
- Zhao, J., ‘Artificial Intelligence in a Digital Age in China’ (2022), The Company Lawyer 91 (with Lin, W, Xing, H. & Ye, Z.) ISSN 0144-1027
- Zhao, J., ‘The Impact of Using AI in the Boardroom’ (2022) Law Careers. Available online: https://www.lawcareers.net/Explore/LCNSays/The-impact-of-using-AI-in-the-boardroom
- Zhao, J., ‘Shareholder Remedies in China – Developments towards a More Effective, Accessible and Fairer Derivative Action Mechanism’ (2021), Capital Markets Law Journal 16 (with Wei, C.), 445-473 ISSN 1750-7227 SCIE
- Zhao, J., ‘Trends and Development of the Directors’ Duty of Loyalty in China: A Case Analysis’ (2021) Sustainability 13, 8589; (with Wen, S.) ISSN: 2071-1050 SSCI
- Zhao, J., ‘Zombie Companies in China: Policies and Typologies in Moving towards Market Based Resolution’ (2021) Corporate and Business Law Journal 2, 371-409 (with Parry, R.) ISSN 1033-2405
- Zhao, J., ‘Reimagining Corporate Social Responsibility in the Era of COVID-19: Embedding Resilience and Promoting Corporate Social Competence’ (2021), Sustainability 13, 6548 ISSN: 2071-1050 SSCI
- Zhao, J., ‘A Shadowed Legal Transplantation: Takeover Defence Regulation in China’  Journal of Business Law 30-49 ISSN 0021-9460 (with Lin W. & Panagiotis, A.)
- Zhao, J., ‘Protecting Chinese Investors Through Oppression Actions: An Examination in Light of the Position in the United Kingdom’ (2020) Australian Journal of Asian Law 21, 1-17 ISSN 1839-4191 (with Keay, A., Loughrey, J., Wei, C. & Hu, T.)
- Zhao, J., ‘The Commons, the Common Good and Extraterritoriality: Seeking Sustainable Global Justice through Corporate Responsibility' (2020), Sustainability 12, 1-21 (with Wen, S.) ISSN: 2071-1050 SSCI
- Zhao, J., ‘Progressive Trajectory of Corporate Law to Employees’ Interests under the New Economy: An Analysis of UK and Chinese Company Law’ (2020), The University of Pennsylvania Asian Law Review 15, 382-420 ISSN 1943-8249
- Zhao, J., ‘Make or Buy – A New Look of Derivative Action Costs in the US, UK, Japan and Proposals for a More Enabling Environment for Chinese Law’ (2020), Texas International Law Journal 54, 297-326 ISSN 0163-7479 (2020) (with Ou, J., Liu, Y.& Lin, W)
- Zhao, J., ‘The Bumpy Road of Home States’ Regulation of Globalized Businesses – Legal and Institutional Disruptions to Supply Chain Disclosure under the Modern Slavery Act’ (2020), Catholic University Law Review 69, 125-162 (with Wen, S.) ISSN 1530-6119 SSCI
- Zhao, J., ‘Extraterritorial Attempts at Addressing Challenges to Corporate Sustainability’ in B. Sjåfjell & C. Bruner (Eds.), Cambridge Handbook of Corporate Law, Corporate Governance and Sustainability. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (2020) pp.29-42
- Zhao, J., ‘Evolutionary Traditions and Corporate Law: The Effectiveness and Development of Liquidation Duty in China’ (2019), Asian Pacific Law Review 27, 149- 175 (with McCormack, G. & Wei, C.) ISSN 1019-2557 SSCI
- Zhao, J., ‘The Regulatory Framework of Executive Remuneration: Contribution from Shareholder Activism and Board Accountability’ (2019) Hastings Business Law Journal 15, 203-252 (with Li Z.) ISSN 1554-8503
- Zhao, J., ‘The Eligibility of Claimants to Commence Derivative Litigation on Behalf of China’s Joint Stock Limited Companies’ (2018), Hong Kong Law Journal 48, 687-738 (with Wen, S.) ISSN 0378-0600 SSCI
- Zhao, J., ‘Regulation of Corporate Social Responsibility in the Lens of Board Accountability and the Case of China’ in J. du Plessis, J. Veldman & U. Varottil (eds) Globalisation of Corporate Social Responsibility and its Impacts on Corporate Governance (Springer 2018) 121-156, ISSN: 976-3-319-69127-5
- Zhao, J., ‘Contextualizing Legal Norms – A Multi-Dimensional View of the 2014 Legal Capital Reform in China’ (2018), European Business Organisation Law Review 19, 93–140 (with Wen, S.) ISSN: 1566-7529 SSCI
- Zhao, J, ‘Transforming Corporate Governance in Chinese Corporations: A Journey Not A Destination’ (2018), Northwestern Journal of International Law and Business 38, 187–232 (with Keay, A.) ISSN: 0196-3228 SSCI
- Zhao, J., ‘Promoting More Socially Responsible Corporations through a Corporate Law Regulatory Framework’ (2017), Legal Studies 37, 103–136 ISSN: 1748-121X SSCI
- Zhao, J, ‘Accountability in Corporate Governance in China and the Impact of Guanxi as a Double-Edged Sword’ (2017), Brooklyn Journal of Corporate Financial and Commercial Law 11, 375–412 (with Keay, A.) ISSN 1934-2497
- Zhao, J., ‘Ascertaining the Notion of Board Accountability in Chinese Listed Companies’ (2016), Hong Kong Law Journal 46, 671–709 (with Keay, A.) ISSN 0378-0600 SSCI
- Zhao, J., ‘Promoting a More Efficient Corporate Governance Model in Emerging Markets through Corporate Law’ (2016), Washington University Global Studies Law Review 15, 447–494 ISSN 1546-6981
- Zhao, J., ‘Enhancing Transparency through Company Law Reform in China’ (2015), Northern Ireland Legal Quarterly 66, 43–69 ISSN 0029-3105
- Zhao, J., ‘The Curious Case of Stakeholder Theory: Calling for a More Realistic Theory’, (2014), International Trade and Business Law Review 17, 1–42 ISSN 1836-8573
- Zhao, J., ‘Improving the Disadvantaged Position of Unsecured Creditors through Law and Corporate Social Responsibility’ (2013) Journal of Business Law,868–899 (with Wen, S.) ISSN 0021-9460
- Zhao, J., ‘A More Efficient Derivative Action System in China: Challenges and Opportunities through Corporate Governance Theory’ (2013), Northern Ireland Legal Quarterly 64, 233–255 ISSN 0029-3105
- Zhao, J., ‘Gift Giving, Guanxi and Confucianism in a Harmonious Society: What Chinese Law could Learn from English Law on Aspects of Directors’ Duties’ (2013), Company Lawyer, 381–389 (with Wen, S.) ISSN 0144-1027
- Zhao, J., ‘The Harmonious Society, Corporate Social Responsibility and Legal Responses to Ethical Norms in Chinese Company Law’ (2012), Journal of Corporate Law Studies 12, 163–200 ISSN 1473-5970 SSCI
- This article has been reproduced as Zhao, J., ‘The Harmonious Society, Corporate Social Responsibility and Legal Responses to Ethical Norms in Chinese Company Law’ in J. McEldowney & S. McEldowney (eds) Environmental Regulation (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar 2014) ISBN 978 0 857938206, Chapter 30.
- Zhao, J., ‘The Curious Case of Shareholder Primacy Norm: Calling for a More Realistic Theory’ (2012), International Trade and Business Law Review 15, 1–25 ISSN 1836-6573
- Zhao, J., ‘Modernising Corporate Objective Debate towards a Hybrid Model’ (2011), Northern Ireland Legal Quarterly 62, 361–390 ISSN 0029-3105
- Zhao, J., ‘Promoting More Socially Responsible Corporations through UK Company Law after the 2008 Financial Crisis: Turning of the Crisis Compass’ (2011), International Company and Commercial Law Review 22, 275–284 ISSN 0958-5214
- Zhao, J., ‘The Regulation and Steering of Corporate Social Responsibility in China: Stories after the Enforcement of Chinese Company Law 2006’ (2011), International Company and Commercial Law Review 22, 400–407 ISSN 0958-5214
- Zhao, J., ‘Exploring the Rationale of Enlightened Shareholder Value (ESV) in the Realm of UK Company Law – The Path Dependence Perspective’ (2011), International Trade and Business Law Review 14, 153–174 (with Wen, S.) ISSN 0958–5214
- Zhao, J., ‘Promoting Stakeholders’ Interests in the Unique Chinese Corporate Governance Model: More Socially Responsible Corporations?’ (2010), International Company and Commercial Law Review 373–385 (with Wen, S.) ISSN 0958-5214
- Zhao, J., ‘Corporate Social Responsibility in an Insolvent Environment: Directors’ Continuing Obligations in English Law?’ (2010), International Company and Commercial Law Review 7, 305–315 (with Tribe, J.) ISSN 0958-5214
- Zhao, J., ‘Revisiting the Scope of a Scheme of Arrangement – Insights Derived from Lehman’ (2010) Bankers’ Law 3, 20–27 (with Wen, S.) ISSN 1748-3662
Corporate social responsibility, corporate governance, corporate law, company law, Chinese law, modern slavery, corporate extraterritorial responsibility, the Chinese economy