Rob is a senior lecturer in criminal practice and is the joint subject leader for this area. He is responsible for the design and delivery of all aspects of criminal litigation and criminal evidence on the Bar Vocational Course.
He is also an enthusiastic member of the criminal advocacy team where he places great emphasis on ensuring his students gain a deep understanding of fundamental principles.
Rob has a particular interest in the law of self defence. He is the author of Justifiable Force: The Practical Guide to the Law of Self Defence (Barry Rose Law Publishing: Summer 2004).
Rob was called to the Bar in 1992 and is a specialist criminal barrister based at the Chambers of Peter Joyce QC, 1 High Pavement, Nottingham. Rob has been involved with the Bar Vocational Course at Nottingham Law School since its inception in 1997.
He played a pivotal role in the design and development of the criminal practice course drawing upon his practical experience of advocacy in the Magistrates’ Court, Crown Court and Court of Appeal. The Nottingham BVC is widely regarded to be one of the best in the country.
Rob is an accredited advocacy trainer and assessor.
- Called to the Bar of the Inner Temple in 1992
- Practising barrister specialising in crime
- Prosecuted and defended in trials in the magistrates’ and the Crown Court, and conducted appeal hearings in the Court of Appeal (Criminal Division)
- Member of the Criminal Bar Association
- Author of Justifiable Force: The Practical Guide to the Law of Self Defence