Craig is a Senior Lecturer in Metabolism. Craig is interested in the basic mechanistic biology of both cells and tissue systems, working to apply this understanding towards treatment strategies targeting human diseases. Craig is focussed upon the mechanisms and metabolic roles of NAD+ consuming enzymes.
Prior to his career in academia, Craig was an analytical scientist working with 3M Health Care, Astra-Zeneca, Merck and Sanofi-Aventis. For his doctoral training Craig was located at Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York USA. Here he studied mechanisms of transcriptional control in cancer, employing epigenetic techniques and DNA methylation analysis. As a postdoctoral researcher, Craig trained within the fields of endocrinology and molecular metabolism at the Centre for Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism and the Institute of Metabolism & Systems Research at University of Birmingham. His work revealing the roles of steroid hormone biochemistry and its impacts upon tissues including brown adipose and skeletal muscle. These projects have helped define current understanding of endocrinology, metabolism and mitochondrial function.
Craig is strongly interested in the regulation of physiology, endocrinology, epigenetic signalling and how they impact metabolic pathways in health and disease.
Fully funded PhD Studentships are available in this lab - Please email Craig directly for further information.
Opportunities arise to carry out postgraduate research towards an MPhil / PhD in the areas identified above. Further information may be obtained on the NTU Research Degrees website https://www.ntu.ac.uk/research/research-degrees-at-ntu
- Doig CL, Zelinska AE, Oakey L, Fletcher RS, Elhassan Y, Garten A, Cartwright DM, Heising S, Tennant D, Watson D, Adamski J and Lavery GG. Induction of the nicotinamide riboside kinase NAD+ salvage pathway in a model of skeletal muscle myopathy. Skeletal Muscle 2019.
- Fenton C, Doig CL, Fareed S, Naylor A, Morrell A, Addison O, Wehmeyer , Buckley CD, Raza K, Lavery GG, Cooper MS, Hardy RS. 11B-HSD1 regulates bone loss in response to corticosterone excess. Journal of Arthritis Research & Therapy 2019.
- Elhassan YS, Kluckova K, Fletcher RS, Schmidt M, Garten A, Doig CL, Cartwright DM, Oakey L, Burley CV, Jenkinson N, Wilson M, Lucas SJE, Akerman I, Seabright A, Lai C, Tennant D, Nightingale P, Wallis GA, Manopoloulos KN, Brenner C, Philp A, Lavery GG. NADmet: A randomised double blind crossover study to asses Nicotinamide Riboside in healthy aged males. Cell Reports 2019.
- Oakey LA, Fletcher RS, Elhassan YS, Cartwright DM, Doig CL, Garten A, Thakker A, Maddocks ODK, Zhang T, Tennant DA, Ludwig C and Lavery GG. Metabolic tracing reveals novel adaptations to skeletal muscle cell energy production pathways in response to NAD+ depletion. Wellcome Open Res 2018.
- Chortis VE, Richards AE, Doig CL, Walsh MA, Meimaridou E, Jenkinson C, Rodriguez-Blanco, Ronchi CL, Jafri A, Metherell LA, Hebenstreit D, Dunn WB, Arlt W, Foster PA. Nicotinamide nucleotide transporter: A novel target for adrenocortical cancer. Endocrinology 2018.
- Fine N, Doig CL, Elhassan YS, Vierra NC, Marchetti P, Bugliani M, Nano R, Piemonti L, Rutter GA, Jacobson DA, Lavery GG, Hodson DJ. A steroid-regulated feedback loop preserves insulin secretion in the face of perturbed beta cell function. Diabetes 2018.
- Doig CL, Fletcher RS, Morgan SA, McCabe EL, Larner DP, Tomlinson JW, Stewart PM, Philp A, Lavery GG. 11B-HSD1 modulates the set-point of brown adipose tissue response to glucocorticoids in male mice. Endocrinology 2017.
- Fletcher RS, Ratajczak J, Doig CL, Oakey LA, Callingham R, Da Silva Xavier G, Garten A, Elhassan YS, Redpath P, Migaud ME, Philp A, Brenner C, Canto C, Lavery GG. Nicotinamide riboside kinases display redundancy in mediating nicotinamide mononucleotide and nicotinamide riboside metabolism in skeletal muscle. Molecular Metabolism2017.
- Zielinska AE, Fletcher RS, Sherlock M, Doig CL & Lavery GG. Genetic manipulation of 11B-HSD1 and H6PDH activity in skeletal muscle. Cell Biochemistry and Function2017.
- Doig CL & Lavery GG. PARP Inhibitors: Staying on Target? Cell Chemical Biology 2016.
- Doig CL, Battaglia S, Khanim FL, Bunce CM, Campbell MJ. Knockdown of AKR1C3 exposes a potential epigenetic susceptibility in prostate cancer cells. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2016.
- Morgan SA, Hassan-Smith Z, Doig CL, Sherlock M, Stewart PM, Lavery GG.Glucocorticoids and 11B-HSD1 are major regulators of intramyocellular protein metabolism. Journal of Endocrinology2016.
- Hardy RS, Doig CL, Hussain Z, O'Leary M, Morgan SA, Pearson MJ, Naylor A, Jones SW, Filer A, Stewart PM, Buckley CD, Lavery GG, Cooper MS, Raza K. 11B-Hydroxysteroid Dehydrogenase 1 within muscle protects against the adverse effects of local inflammation. Journal of Pathology 2016.
- Larner D, Morgan, SA, Gathercole LL, Doig CL, Guest P, Weston C, Hazeldine J, Tomlinson JW, Stewart PM, Lavery GG. Extra-hepatic 11B-HSD1 activity restrains inflammatory responses to diet-induced non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in male mice. Endocrinology 2016.
- Doig CL, Bashir J, Zielinska AE, Cooper MS, Stewart PM, Lavery GG. TNFα mediated HSD11B1 binding of NF-κB p65 is associated with suppression of 11β-HSD1 in muscle. Journal of Endocrinology 2014.
- Doig CL, Singh PK, Dhiman VK, Thorne JL, Battaglia S, Sobolewski M, Maguire O, O'Neill LP, Turner BM, McCabe CJ, Smiraglia DJ, Campbell MJ. Recruitment of NCOR1 to VDR target genes is enhanced in prostate cancer cells and associates with altered DNA methylation patterns. Carcinogenesis 2013.
- Singh PK, Doig CL, Dhiman VK, Turner BM, Smiraglia DJ, Campbell MJ. Epigenetic distortion to VDR transcriptional regulation in prostate cancer. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2013.
- Ahmed A, Rabbitt E, Brady T, Brown C, Guest P, Bujalska IJ, Doig C, Newsome PN, Hubscher S, Elias E, Adams DH, Tomlinson JW, Stewart PM. A switch in hepatic cortisol metabolism across the spectrum of NAFLD. PLoS One 2012.
- Thorne JL, Maguire O, Doig CL, Battaglia S, Fehr L, Sucheston LE, Heinaniemi M, O'Neill LP, McCabe CJ, Turner BM, Carlberg C, Campbell MJ.Epigenetic control of a VDR-governed feed-forward loop that regulates p21 expression and function in non-malignant prostate cells. Nucleic Acids Research 2011.
- Battaglia S, Maguire O, Thorne JL, Hornung LB, Doig CL, Liu S, Sucheston LE, Bianchi A, Khanim FL, Gommersall LM, Coulter HS, Rakha S, Giddings I, O'Neill LP, Cooper CS, McCabe CJ, Bunce CM, Campbell MJ. Elevated NCOR1 disrupts PPARalpha/gamma signaling in prostate cancer and forms a targetable epigenetic lesion. Carcinogenesis 2010.
- Watkins RJ, Read ML, Smith VE, Sharma N, Reynolds GM, Buckley L, Doig C, Campbell MJ, Lewy G, Eggo MC, Loubiere LS, Franklyn JA, Boelaert K, McCabe CJ. Pituitary tumor transforming gene binding factor: a new gene in breast cancer. Cancer Research 2010.
Course(s) I teach on