Dr Farooq Sher is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Engineering, School of Science and Technology at Nottingham Trent University. His undergraduate degree (BEng) was in Chemical Engineering, followed by MSc Chemical Engineering from the University of Leeds. He was awarded PhD in Chemical and Environmental Engineering from the University of Nottingham. He has extensive teaching experience across multidisciplinary engineering and sciences. His research focus is on the area of energy and environment with an emphasis on the utilisation of various renewable energy resources for clean energy using sustainable technologies.
Dr Farooq Sher current research overviews the diverse range of approaches and technologies to minimise emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2) a greenhouse gas from the use of fossil fuels (coal, oil and gas). It also includes developing technologies to remove carbon dioxide from the flue gases of power plants and chimneys, as well as burn the fuels in pure oxygen (Oxy-fuel), which results in a flue gas that consists entirely of carbon dioxide and water vapours that can be captured relatively easily and can be stored safely in repositories deep underground. Moreover, He is working towards nanomaterials synthesis with applications in wastewater treatment, sustainable energy, climate change and low carbon technologies. The main interests are in the conversion of renewable sources such as biomass, solar, wind and hydro into heat and power including their impact on the environment and climate change. He is also studying the combustion behaviour of different fossil fuels to get a better understanding of their environmental impacts. His expertises are in energy, energy optimisation, wastewater treatment, hydrogen production, fluidised bed combustion (FBC), life cycle assessment (LCA), oxy-fuel combustion, carbon capture and storage (CCS) and environmental management.
Dr Farooq Sher has published more than 200 research papers, several conference papers, book chapters and editorials. Apart from this, he is the editor of more than 10 different multidisciplinary scientific journals. He has reviewed more than 2000 journal papers for several journals. He has been awarded a top reviewer for Engineering from Publons Academy.
Dr Farooq Sher is a member of departmental and faculty committees. Externally, he is an associate member of Institute of Chemical Engineers (IChemE), senior member of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) and professional engineering member of Engineers Australia (IEAust). He is also interested in various forms of community work both within the University and outside such as British Red Cross and STEM Ambassador for youngsters to value them in their lives and careers.
- Syuhada, A., M. Ameen, F. Sher, M. T. Azizan, A. Aqsha, M. H. M. Yusoff and M. S. H. Ruslan. Effect of Calcium Doping Using Aqueous Phase Reforming of Glycerol over Sonochemically Synthesized Nickel-Based Supported ZrO2 Catalyst. 2021; 11(8): 977.
- Sadiq H, Sher F, Sehar S, Lima EC, Zhang S, Iqbal HM, Zafar F, Nuhanović M. Green synthesis of ZnO nanoparticles from Syzygium Cumini leaves extract with robust photocatalysis applications. Journal of Molecular Liquids. 2021 Aug 1;335:116567.
- Zafar N, Niazi MB, Sher F, Khalid U, Jahan Z, Shah GA, Zia M. Starch and polyvinyl alcohol encapsulated biodegradable nanocomposites for environment friendly slow release of urea fertilizer. Chemical Engineering Journal Advances. 2021 Aug 15;7:100123.
- Yusoff MH, Ayoub M, Nazir MH, Sher F, Zahid I, Ameen M. Solvent extraction and performance analysis of residual palm oil for biodiesel production: Experimental and simulation study. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering. 2021 Aug 1;9(4):105519.
- Nazir MH, Ayoub M, Zahid I, Shamsuddin RB, Ameen M, Sher F, Farrukh S. Waste sugarcane bagasse‐derived nanocatalyst for microwave‐assisted transesterification: Thermal, kinetic and optimization study. Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining. 2021 Jul 16.
- Lima EC, Sher F, Saeb MR, Abatal M, Seliem MK. Comments on “Reasonable calculation of the thermodynamic parameters from adsorption equilibrium constant, Journal of Molecular Liquids 322 (2021) 114980.”. Journal of Molecular Liquids. 2021 Jul 15;334:116542.
- Khan NA, Niazi MB, Sher F, Jahan Z, Noor T, Azhar O, Rashid T, Iqbal N. Metal Organic Frameworks Derived Sustainable Polyvinyl Alcohol/Starch Nanocomposite Films as Robust Materials for Packaging Applications. Polymers. 2021 Jan;13(14):2307.
- Azhar O, Jahan Z, Sher F, Niazi MB, Kakar SJ, Shahid M. Cellulose acetate-polyvinyl alcohol blend hemodialysis membranes integrated with dialysis performance and high biocompatibility. Materials Science and Engineering: C. 2021 Jul 1;126:112127.
- Jason YJ, How HG, Teoh YH, Sher F, Chuah HG, Teh JS. Tribological Behaviour of Graphene Nanoplatelets as Additive in Pongamia Oil. Coatings. 2021 Jun;11(6):732.
- Sher F, Chen S, Raza A, Rasheed T, Razmkhah O, Rashid T, Rafi-ul-Shan PM, Erten B. Novel strategies to reduce engine emissions and improve energy efficiency in hybrid vehicles. Cleaner Engineering and Technology. 2021 Jun 1;2:100074.