I am a member of the Antimicrobial Resistance, Omics & Microbiota group at NTU. I am module leader for BIOL40472: Medical Microbiology and I also teach in modules BIOL33211: Toxicology and BIOL14406: Living Systems.
I attained my PhD from the University of Helsinki in 2009. I then moved to Germany for a postdoctoral fellowship at the Max Planck Institute for Developmental Biology in Tuebingen, where I spent 3 years. Following this, I did a second postdoc at the University of Oslo, Norway, before becoming a group leader there. I joined NTU in June 2019.
I study bacterial pathogenesis, focusing on autotransporters of Gram-negative bacteria. These proteins are self-contained secretion systems and surface molecules that mediate a number of virulence functions. The proteins are found widely in Gram-negative bacteria, and I have studied a variety of autotransporters from organisms such as Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Yersinia enterocolitica. My work characterises both the functions of autotransporters as well as their secretion mechanism. In addition, as surface-exposed molecules and virulence factors, autotransporters are potential vaccine and drug targets.
I am a review editor for Frontiers in Microbiology, and regularly review for journals such as FEMS Microbiology Letters, Toxins (MDPI), and Scientific Reports. For recent peer review activity, visit my Publons page.
- Meuskens I, Saragliadis A, Leo JC, Linke D (2019): Type V secretion systems: An Overview of Passenger Domain Functions. Front Microbiol., 10: 1163. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2019.01163
- Hatlem D, Trunk T, Linke D, Leo JC (2019): Catching a SPY: using the SpyCatcher-SpyTag and related systems for labeling and localizing bacterial proteins. Int J Mol Sci., 20(9): 2129. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms2009212
- Chauhan N, Hatlem D, Orwyck-Rydmark M, Schneider K, Floetenmeyer M, van Rossum B, Leo JC, Linke D (2019). Insights into the autotransport process of a trimeric autotransporter, Yersinia adhesin A (YadA). Mol Microbiol., 111(3): 844-62. https://doi-org.ezproxy.uio.no/10.1111/mmi.14195
- Klein K, Sonnabend M, Frank L, Leibiger K, Franz-Wachterl M, Macek B, Trunk T, Leo JC, Autenrieth IB, Schütz M, Bohn E (2019). Deprivation of the periplasmic chaperone SurA reduces virulence and restores antibiotic susceptibility of multidrug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Front Microbiol., 10:100. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2019.00100
- Wrobel A, Ottoni C, Leo JC, Linke D (2018): pYR4 from a Norwegian isolate of Yersinia ruckeri is a putative virulence plasmid encoding both a type IV pilus and a type IV secretion system. Front Cell Infect Microbiol., 7: 373. https://doi.org/10.3389/fcimb.2018.00373
- Leo JC, Linke D (2018): A unified model for BAM function that takes into account type Vc secretion and species differences in BAM composition. AIMS Microbiol., 4(3): 455-468. Invited commentary. https://doi.org/10.3934/microbiol.2018.3.455
- Saragliadis A, Trunk T, Leo JC (2018): Producing gene deletions in Escherichia coli by P1 transduction using excisable antibiotic resistance cassettes. J Vis Exp., 139: e58267. https://doi.org/doi:10.3791/58267
- Trunk T, Khalil SK, Leo JC (2018): Bacterial autoaggregation. AIMS Microbiol., 4(1): 140-64. https://doi.org/10.3934/microbiol.2018.1.140
- Wrobel A, Ottoni C, Leo JC, Gulla S, Linke D (2018): The repeat structure of two paralogous genes, Yersinia ruckeri Invasin (yrInv) and a “Y. ruckeri Invasin-like molecule”, (yrIlm) sheds light on the evolution of adhesive capacities of a fish pathogen. J Struct Biol., 210(2): 171-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsb.2017.08.008
- Meuskens I, Michalik M, Chauhan N, Linke D, Leo JC (2017): A new strain collection for improved expression of outer membrane proteins. Front Cell Infect Microbiol., 74: 464. https://doi.org/10.3389/fcimb.2017.00464
- Mühlenkamp MC, Hallström T, Autenrieth IB, Bohn E, Linke D, Rinker J, Riesbeck K, Singh B, Leo JC, Hammerschmidt S, Zipfel PF, Schütz MS (2017): Vitronectin binds to a specific stretch within the head region of Yersinia adhesin A and thereby modulates Yersinia enterocolitica host interaction. J Innate Immun., 9(1): 33-51. https://doi.org/10.1159/000449200