Associate Professor and Reader in Experimental Physics
Dr Newton is the chair of the College Research Degrees Committee. He teaches on the physics degree courses and is module leader for the module Laboratory Interfaces and Control.
Dr Newton is a member of the Imaging, Materials and Engineering Research Centre.
Areas of research interest include:
- Applications of acoustic wave devices
- Magnetic resonance based sensors
- Honeybee monitoring systems
- Applications of Superhydrophobic surfaces
View further research details.
Opportunities to carry out postgraduate research towards an MPhil / PhD by research exist in all the area identified above and in interdisciplinary research areas (e.g. Biosensors). Further Information may be obtained from the NTU Graduate School.
Sponsors and collaborators
Current and recent research is being conducted with the collaboration, funding and / or support of:
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, Innovate UK and the European Union FP7
- University collaborations include Northumbria University, Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences, Swansea University and Durham University.
- Industrial collaborators include members of the Swarmonitor, B-GOOD and ARBI consortia, Diamond Light Source, Foresight Innovations and Medibord
Research funding in the period since 2014 includes:
- Innovative Thermostatic Composites for Hyperthermic Eradication of Varroa Mites from Honey Bee Colonies. Innovate UK (2019)
- Soni-Join – Induction Assisted Ultrasonic joining and repair of ballistic composites. DSTL Defence and Security Accelerator (2019)
- B-GOOD European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 817622 (2018)
- Dynamic Dewetting: Designing and Breaking Novel Morphologies of Liquid Films EPSRC EP/R042276/1 (2018)
- Functional Surface Coatings for Medical Devices which are utilised in the Treatment of Cancer Innovate UK 132883 (2017)
- Lubricating channel and tube flows - fluid sheathing using textured walls, EPSRC EP/L026341/1, (2014)
- NMR CAPIBarA: Proof of Principle of a Low-Field Unilateral Magnetic Resonance System for Monitoring of the Placenta during Pregnancy. Morris RH, Almazrouei, NK, Trabi, CL and Newton, MI. Appl. Sci. 2020, 10(1), 162; https://doi.org/10.3390/app10010162
- Beyond the Langevin Horn: Transducer Arrays for the Acoustic Levitation of Liquid Drops. Morris RH, Dye ER, Docker PT and Newton MI. Phys. Fluids 2019, 31, 101301
- Non-Contact Universal Sample Presentation for Room Temperature Macromolecular Crystallography Using Acoustic Levitation. Morris RH, Dye ER, Axford D, Newton MI, Beale JH & Docker PT. Scientific Reports 2019, 9, 12431
- A natural fibre reinforced composite material for multi-modal medical imaging and radiotherapy treatment. Morris RH, Trabi CL, Spicer A, Langmack KA, Boersma W, Weightman JS and Newton MI. Materials Letters 2019, 252, 289-292
- Low friction self-centering droplet propulsion and transport using a Leidenfrost herringbone-ratchet structure Dodd LE, Agrawal P, Geraldi N, Ellis S, Xu BB, Wells GG, Stuart-Cole A, Newton MI, McHale G and Wood D. Physical Review Applied 2019, 11, 034063
- Extensive Vibrational Characterisation and Long-Term Monitoring of Honeybee Dorso-Ventral Abdominal Vibration signals. Ramsey M, Bencsik M, Newton MI. Scientific Reports 2018, 8, 14571
- Bioinspired nanoparticle spray-coating for superhydrophobic flexible materials with oil/water separation capabilities. Geraldi NR, Dodd LE, Xu BB, Wood D, Wells GG, McHale G, Newton MI. Bioinspiration and Biomimetics 2018, 13, 024001
- An acoustic on-chip goniometer for room temperature macromolecular crystallography. Burton CG, Axford D, Edwards AMJ, Gildea RJ, Morris RH, Newton MI, Orville AM, Prince M, Topham PD, Docker PT. Lab on a Chip 2017, 17, 4225-4230
- Long-term trends in the honeybee 'whooping signal' revealed by automated detection. Ramsey M, Bencsik M, Newton MI. Plos One 2017, 12, e
- Drag reduction properties of superhydrophobic mesh pipes. Geraldi NR, Dodd LE, Xu BB, Wells GG, Wood D, Newton MI, McHale G. Surface Topography-Metrology & Properties 2017, 5, 034001
For full list click 'Go to Michael Newton's publications' link below.See all of Michael Newton's publications...