Dr Newton is Associate Professor and Reader in Experimental Physics having been at NTU since 1988 he has developed a diverse portfolio of research. He is currently the chair of the School Research Degrees Committee (SRDC). He teaches on the BSc and MSci physics degree courses and is module leader for the module Laboratory Interfaces and Control.
Dr Newton is a member of the Imaging, Materials and Engineering Research Centre.
Areas of research interest include:
Magnetic Resonance including: the development of materials for patient positioning in multimodal planning and treatment, low field magnetic resonance systems for applications in food and drink quality control as well as in potential medical screening.
Acoustic waves: droplet manipulation with surface acoustic wave devices and acoustic levitation for non-contact sample presentation for room temperature macromolecular crystallography
Honeybee monitoring systems: Systems based on the recording of vibrational signals from honeybees to better understand the bees ‘vibrational alphabet’, the development of hardware and software for deployment to ‘the field’ and supporting sensor measurements.
The solid liquid interface: Applications of superhydrophobic surfaces; dielectrowetting and its use in the study of dewetting; drop transport using the Leidenfrost effect.
View further research details.
Opportunities to carry out postgraduate research towards an MPhil / PhD by research exist in all the area identified above and in interdisciplinary research areas (e.g. Biosensors). Further Information may be obtained from the NTU Graduate School.
Sponsors and collaborators
Current and recent research is being conducted with the collaboration, funding and / or support of:
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, Innovate UK and the European Union FP7
- University collaborations include Northumbria University, Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences, Swansea University and Durham University.
- Industrial collaborators include members of the Swarmonitor, B-GOOD and ARBI consortia, Diamond Light Source, Foresight Innovations and Medibord
Research funding in the period since 2014 includes:
- Lubricating channel and tube flows - fluid sheathing using textured walls, EPSRC EP/L026341/1, (2014)
- Functional Surface Coatings for Medical Devices which are utilised in the Treatment of Cancer Innovate UK 132883 (2017)
- Dynamic Dewetting: Designing and Breaking Novel Morphologies of Liquid Films EPSRC EP/R042276/1 (2018)
- Giving Beekeeping Guidance by cOmputatiOnal-assisted Decision making (B-GOOD) European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 817622 (2018)
- Soni-Join – Induction Assisted Ultrasonic joining and repair of ballistic composites. DSTL Defence and Security Accelerator (2019 and 2020)
- Innovative Thermostatic Composites for Hyperthermic Eradication of Varroa Mites from Honey Bee Colonies. Innovate UK (2019)
- Quality Methods for Sugar and Confectionery Industry.H2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (2020)
- Drag reduction properties of superhydrophobic mesh pipes. Geraldi NR, Dodd LE, Xu BB, Wells GG, Wood D, Newton MI, McHale G. Surface Topography-Metrology & Properties 2017, 5, 034001doi:10.1088/2051-672X/aa793b
- Long-term trends in the honeybee 'whooping signal' revealed by automated detection. Ramsey M, Bencsik M, Newton MI. Plos One 2017, 12, e0171162 doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0171162
- An acoustic on-chip goniometer for room temperature macromolecular crystallography. Burton CG, Axford D, Edwards AMJ, Gildea RJ, Morris RH, Newton MI, Orville AM, Prince M, Topham PD, Docker PT. Lab on a Chip 2017, 17, 4225-4230 doi:10.1039/C7LC00812K
- Bioinspired nanoparticle spray-coating for superhydrophobic flexible materials with oil/water separation capabilities. Geraldi NR, Dodd LE, Xu BB, Wood D, Wells GG, McHale G, Newton MI. Bioinspiration and Biomimetics 2018, 13, 024001 doi:10.1088/1748-3190
- Extensive Vibrational Characterisation and Long-Term Monitoring of Honeybee Dorso-Ventral Abdominal Vibration signals. Ramsey M, Bencsik M, Newton MI. Scientific Reports 2018, 8, 14571 doi:10.1038/s41598-018-32931-z
- Low friction self-centering droplet propulsion and transport using a Leidenfrost herringbone-ratchet structure Dodd LE, Agrawal P, Geraldi N, Ellis S, Xu BB, Wells GG, Stuart-Cole A, Newton MI, McHale G and Wood D. Physical Review Applied 2019, 11, 034063 doi:10.1103/PhysRevApplied.11.034063
- A natural fibre reinforced composite material for multi-modal medical imaging and radiotherapy treatment. Morris RH, Trabi CL, Spicer A, Langmack KA, Boersma W, Weightman JS and Newton MI. Materials Letters 2019, 252, 289-292 doi:10.1016/j.matlet.2019.05.119 01/10/2019
- Non-Contact Universal Sample Presentation for Room Temperature Macromolecular Crystallography Using Acoustic Levitation. Morris RH, Dye ER, Axford D, Newton MI, Beale JH & Docker PT. Scientific Reports 2019, 9, 12431 doi:10.1038/s41598-019-48612-4
- Beyond the Langevin Horn: Transducer Arrays for the Acoustic Levitation of Liquid Drops. Morris RH, Dye ER, Docker PT and Newton MI. Phys. Fluids 2019, 31, 101301 doi:10.1063/1.5117335
- NMR CAPIBarA: Proof of Principle of a Low-Field Unilateral Magnetic Resonance System for Monitoring of the Placenta during Pregnancy. Morris RH, Almazrouei, NK, Trabi, CL and Newton, MI. Appl. Sci. 2020, 10, 162; doi:10.3390/app10010162
- A viscous switch for dewetting: When more repellent is slower, Edwards AMJ, Ledesma-Aguilar R, Newton MI, Brown CV and McHale G. Communications Physics 2020, 3, 21. doi:10.1038/s42005-020-0284-8
- Woven Natural Fibre Reinforced Composite Materials for Medical Imaging. Morris RH, Geraldi NR, Stafford J, Spicer A, Hall J, Bradley C and Newton MI. Materials 2020,13, 684 doi:10.3390/ma13071684
- The prediction of swarming in honeybee colonies using vibrational spectra. Ramsey M, Bencsik M, Newton M, Reyes M, Pioz M, Crauser D, Simon Delso N, and Le Conte Y, Scientific Reports 2020, 10, 9798 doi:10.1038/s41598-020-66115-5
- Planar Selective Leidenfrost Propulsion Without Physically Structured Substrates or Walls. Dodd L, Agrawal P, Geraldi N, Xu B, Wells GG, Martin J, Newton MI, McHale G and Wood D. Appl. Phys. Lett. 2020, 117, 081601 doi:10.1063/5.0017699
- Advanced Sandwich Composite Cores for Patient Support in Advanced Clinical Imaging and Oncology Treatment. Morris RH, Geraldi NR, Pike LC, Pawelke J, Hoffmann AL, Doy N, Stafford JL, Spicer A and Newton MI. Materials 2020, 13, 3549 doi:10.3390/ma13163549
For full list click 'Go to Michael Newton's publications' link below.See all of Michael Newton's publications...