Associate Professor and Reader in Experimental Physics
Dr Newton is the chair of the College Research Degrees Committee. He is module leader and teaches on the module Laboratory Interfaces and Control.
Dr Newton is a member of the Physics, Materials and Sensors research centre.
Areas of research interest include:
- Applications of acoustic wave devices
- Magnetic resonance based sensors
- Applications of Superhydrophobic surfaces
View further research details.
Opportunities to carry out postgraduate research towards an MPhil / PhD by research exist in all the area identified above and in interdisciplinary research areas (e.g. Biosensors). Further Information may be obtained from the NTU Graduate School.
Sponsors and collaborators
Current and recent research is being conducted with the collaboration, funding and / or support of:
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, Innovate UK and the European Union FP7
- University collaborations include Northumbria University, Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences, Swansea University and Durham University.
- Industrial collaborators include members of the Swarmonitor and ARBI consortia, Diamond Light Source and Medibord
Research funding in the period since 2012 includes:
- Dynamic Dewetting: Designing and Breaking Novel Morphologies of Liquid Films EPSRC EP/R042276/1 (2018)
- Functional Surface Coatings for Medical Devices which are utilised in the Treatment of Cancer Innovate UK 132883 (2017)
- Lubricating channel and tube flows - fluid sheathing using textured walls, EPSRC EP/L026341/1, (2014)
- Autonomous reed bed installations, FP7-SME-2013 606326, (2013)
- Dielectrowetting: controlling oleo- and hydrophilicity and shaping liquid surfaces, EPSRC EP/K015192/1, (2012)
- Development of a tool for effective diagnostic monitoring of honey bee colonies, FP7-SME-2012-BSG-SME-AG, (2012)
- Extensive Vibrational Characterisation and Long-Term Monitoring of Honeybee Dorso-Ventral Abdominal Vibration signals. Ramsey M, Bencsik M, Newton MI. Scientific Reports 2018, 8, 14571
- Bioinspired nanoparticle spray-coating for superhydrophobic flexible materials with oil/water separation capabilities. Geraldi NR, Dodd LE, Xu BB, Wood D, Wells GG, McHale G, Newton MI. Bioinspiration and Biomimetics 2018, 13, 024001
- An acoustic on-chip goniometer for room temperature macromolecular crystallography. Burton CG, Axford D, Edwards AMJ, Gildea RJ, Morris RH, Newton MI, Orville AM, Prince M, Topham PD, Docker PT. Lab on a Chip 2017, 17, 4225-4230
- Long-term trends in the honeybee 'whooping signal' revealed by automated detection. Ramsey M, Bencsik M, Newton MI. Plos One 2017, 12, e
- Drag reduction properties of superhydrophobic mesh pipes. Geraldi NR, Dodd LE, Xu BB, Wells GG, Wood D, Newton MI, McHale G. Surface Topography-Metrology & Properties 2017, 5, 034001
- A magnetic resonance disruption (MaRDi) technique for the detection of surface immobilised magnetic nanoparticles. Parslow ST, Hughes-Riley T, Newton MI, Morris RH. Analytical Methods 2017, 9, 1681-1683
- Not spreading in reverse: the dewetting of a liquid film into a single drop. Edwards AMJ, Ledesma-Aguilar R, Newton MI, Brown CV, McHale G. Science Advances, 2016, 2, e1600183.
For full list click 'Go to Michael Newton's publications' link below.See all of Michael Newton's publications...