Dr Puddu is Module Leader for the Advanced Inorganic Chemistry (CHEM30303) and Research Methods and Independent Studies (CHEM40261) modules. She teaches on the following modules:
- Introduction to Inorganic Chemistry
- Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
- Advanced Physical Chemistry
- BSc and Master level Projects and Dissertations
- Research Methods and Independent Studies.
Dr Puddu is Chemistry Year One tutor and Chemistry Outreach Coordinator.
Dr Puddu graduated in Chemistry from the University of Cagliari in 2004 and achieved her PhD in Chemical Engineering from the University of Nottingham in 2008. She joined NTU in 2009 as a post-doctoral Research Associate in the Biomolecular Materials Interface Research Group. She was appointed Lecturer at NTU in 2013.
Dr Puddu has carried out research on the following areas:
- Photocatalysis: synthesis TiO2 based photocatalysts and evaluation of their photocatalytic activity for indoor air and water remediation.
- Interfacial studies: study of the interactions at the bio-inorganic interface, in particular binding properties of short peptides on silica substrates; and biomineralisation of TiO2.
Dr Puddu's current research interest is focussing on the development of inorganic nanomaterials for solar applications, eg. solar photocatalysis, solar cells, water splitting etc. Of particular interest is the design and development of efficient visible and near-IR light harvesters, in the form of inorganic nanocomposites or obtained by TiO2 surface functionalization.
Another area of research is exploring the potential applications of these materials as photoresponsive cancer treatment and drug delivery systems.
Opportunities to carry out postgraduate research towards an MPhil/PhD exist in the School of Science and Technology and further information may be obtained from the NTU Graduate School.
- Member of the Royal Chemistry Society (MRSC)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
Sponsors and collaborators
Current research is being conducted in collaboration with:
- Professor Bob Stevens (NTU)
- Dr Elisabetta Verderio-Edwards (NTU)
- Professor Carole Perry (NTU).
- Prediction of specific biomolecule adsorption on silica surfaces as a function of pH and particle size. Emami FS, Puddu V, Berry RJ, Varshney RJ, Patwardhan SV, Perry CC, Heinz H, Chemistry of Materials, 2014, 26, (19) 5725
- Force field and a surface model database for silica to simulate interfacial properties in atomic resolution. Emami FS, Puddu V, Berry RJ, Varshney RJ, Patwardhan SV, Perry CC, Heinz H, Chemistry Materials, 2014, 26 (8) 2647–2658
- Titania binding peptides as templates in the biomimetic synthesis of stable titania nanosols: Insight into the role of buffers in peptide-mediated mineralization. Puddu V, Slocik JM, Naik RR, Perry CC, Langmuir, 2013, 29 (30), 9464–9472
- Peptide-mineral interactions: importance of hydrophobic interactions. Puddu V, Perry CC, ACS Nano, 2012, 7, (7), 6356-6363
- TiO2 photocatalyst for indoor air remediation: influence of crystallinity, crystal phase, and UV radiation intensity on trichloroethylene degradation. Puddu V, Choi H, Dionysiou DD, Li Puma G, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 2010, 94, 3 (4), 211-218
- Photocatalytic oxidation of multicomponent mixtures of estrogens (estrone (E1),17ß-estradiol (E2), 17a-ethynylestradiol (EE2) and estriol (E3)) under UVA and UVC radiation: photon absorption, quantum yields and rate constants independent of photon absorption. Li Puma G, Puddu V, Tsang HK, Gora A, Toepfer B, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 2010, 99, 3(4), 388-397
- Novel one step hydrothermal synthesis of TiO2/WO3 nanocomposites with enhanced photocatalytic activity. Puddu V, Mokaya R and Li Puma G, Chemical Communications, 2007, (45), 4749-4751
- Photocatalytic oxidation of herbicides in single-component and multicomponent systems: reaction kinetics analysis. Gora A, Toepfer B, Puddu V and Li Puma G, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 65 (1-2), 1-10
For full list click 'Go to Valeria Puddu's publication' link above.