Dr Williams is currently Principal Lecturer in Psychology (Internationalisation and Employability). He oversees all developments in the Psychology Department relating to Internationalisation (e.g. staff and student exchange, international student recruitment and marketing courses to an international market) and Employability (e.g. students on placements, integrating employability into the curriculum, and providing work-based/work-relevant experiences for all Psychology students)
Dr Williams has experience of working in the National Health Service as a Research Officer and also a Research & Development and Clinical Audit Deputy Manager. He has been involved in provision of training & education of qualified and trainee health professionals for many years; for 3 years he was at the University of Nottingham’s School of Nursing as a Lecturer in Behavioural Science. He has worked for 2-and-a-half years as Principal Lecturer and as Head of Subject for the Psychological Therapies and Mental Health Subject Group at Leeds Beckett University before returning to NTU in September 2017.
Community Psychology (e.g. community arts initiatives and mental health; addressing inequalities in health and well-being; poverty and well-being; stigma & discrimination); Psychology of well-being, health, and health care (e.g. positive psychological experiences, including flow and happiness; health professional education; health care delivery and decision-making; personality and mental health; addiction; spirituality and well-being; commuting stress).
- British Psychological Society - Chair Elect, Chair, Past Chair for Community Psychology Section (2014-2017); Associate Fellow; Chartered Psychologist.
- International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction - Associate Editor.
- The Royal Society of Arts - Fellow.
- American Psychological Association – International Affiliate.
- Society for Community Research and Action – Member.
- International Association of Applied Psychology – Member.
- External Examiner for MPhil/PhD examinations with University of Leicester, University of Wolverhampton, Quaid-i-Azam University (Pakistan).
- External Examiner for Undergraduate provision with Bradford College (formerly validated by Leeds Metropolitan University) and Belfast College (validated by Ulster University).
Sponsors and collaborators
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)
- Warwickshire County Council
- Derbyshire Arts Development Group (Derbyshire County Council)
- CASQ (ADQ), Nottingham Trent University (Spur 2 Success funding)
- West London Research Network (Primary Care Research Network)
- East London and Essex Network for Research (Primary Care Research Network)
- North Central Thames Network (NoCTen) for primary care research
- National Centre for Social Research (NatCen)
- Leeds Beckett University’s internal funding such as the Mid-Career Prize (£15,000) and Research Cluster funding (£30,000); Rugby League Cares and Big Lottery Fund; Leeds Community Foundation Mental Health fund.
Course(s) I teach on