Dr Nicholas Blagden is a Lecturer/ Senior Lecturer in psychology and specialises in forensic psychology. He is the Associate Course Leader for the MSc Forensic Psychology.
He teaches on the MSc Forensic Psychology including 'Explanations of Crime'. 'Mixed Methods' and leads the module on 'Policing, Justice System and Psychology'. He is a first year personal tutor and he also teaches on the BSc (Hons) Psychology and BSc Psychology combined courses.
Dr Blagden is a lecturer in psychology and a Chartered Psychologist. He has worked and researched within the CJS and HM Prison Service for many years. He started his career with Nottinghamshire probation, has trained police officers and worked in prison settings. He has previously held lectureships at the University of Huddersfield (Applied Criminology and Policing) and University of Lincoln (Forensic Psychology). He is currently part of the Sexual Offences, Crime and Misconduct Research Unit and is working with the National Offender Management Service and Ministry of Justice on a number of collaborative projects.
Dr Blagden is a member of the Sexual Offences Crime and Misconduct Research Unit. He is committed to conducting research that has practical utility for the criminal justice system and for offender rehabilitation more generally. He has researched the topic of denial in sexual offenders extensively and was invited to the national steering committee for the redesign of Sex Offender Treatment Programmes to disseminate his findings. His research interests include:-
- Offender rehabilitation and rehabilitative programmes
- Therapeutic and rehabilitative climate in prisons
- Crime Desistance
- Aetiology of deviant sexual interest
- Offender identity
- Research collaborations with HMP Whatton, HMP Nottingham, HMP Lowdham Grange, HMP Sudbury
- Member of the 'Sex Offender Research and Practice Group' based at the University of Lincoln
- Charity trustee 'Safer Living Foundation'
- Member of the British Psychological Society and general member of the Division of Division of Forensic Psychology
- Member of the American College of Forensic Psychology
Sponsors and collaborators
Dr Blagden has held research grants from the National Offender Management Service (pi) and BIAL (co-applicant). He works on joint projects with:
- National Offender Management Service
- Ministry of Justice
- HM Prison Service in particular HMP Whatton
He has collaborated with:
- Dr Ruth Mann, NOMS
- Dr Alex Schmidt, University of Bonn, Germany
- Stephen Webster, NATCEN
- Professor Todd Hogue
- Jayson Ware, Corrective Services Australia
- Sexual offending
- Sex offender rehabilitation
- Sex offender treatment
- Paedophilia and paedophiles
- Prison and prison environment and culture
- Prison and punishment
- Offender resettlement
- Crime desistance